1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A rat in my engine bay?

MrTackalakalaka Apr 29, 2012

1. Noooooo not a real rat......

Started my car up today and pressed the AUTO button on the heater/fan

Then it sounded like a small animal was being tortured in my engine bay. I then turned it off thinking what the bajeebus was that?
    Turned it on again and it made the squealing noise again. I then pressed the Aircon (snow flake) button and it stopped. I then started driving for a while and pressed the AC button again and it let out a shorter squeal. I tried it later on and it didn't do it again.

Anyone know why it might be making that noise? better still......what?

My AC (as far as i know) hasn't worked since I've had the car. I have never got round to re-gassing it

cheers

2. ant schof

ant schof Member

Hi mate ,
    Had a very similar screeching / scraping noise from my S3 about twelve months ago , turned out to be the alternator
    clutch pulley breaking up , seemed to do it more when the air con was on . Also had the battery warning light flickering on occasionaly when this happened ! Worth looking at maybe . You could try slipping the multi v belt off and see if the noise goes away .

Cheers Ant

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Be one of the fans... mine does ther same occasionaly... its fine when the enginebay is warm but on cold start it can squeel a bit...

<tuffty/>

4. Thanks guys!!

I shall look into it! Will have a look in the engine bay and get the girlfriend to put the AC on. Sods law it won't happen until I'm next in the car haha

Thanks again

5. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Mine does the same on start up up if i put aircon on.

6. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member Team Dolphin Grey Audi S3 quattro Audi A6

My old A3 made some nasty noises like that once, turned out it was the aircon clutch/pulley/compressor thingy whatsits failing and trying to escape from the engine bay.

Liam

7. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

funny Ive just had a simular noise this morning, I was blaming the fact that ive lost my garage to the wifes new car so mine is now out on the drive getting wet :(

8. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi S3

had it on mine this morning too

9. LoopTrooper

LoopTrooper Member

There is always the traditional turn the stereo up option?

10. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

I was always lead to believe that this was a tiny bit of belt slip caused by condensation on the belt on a cold morning..... Both mine have done it when starting up with the aircon switched on.

11. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

mine sounded more like the fan in the car as if the bearings are getting a little dry