a question of bulbs....

silver75

Big Ron
Reaction score
I know this may have been covered before just need to know which bulbs are best out of osram, philips and PIAA..I have been looking at PIAA xtreme white but are they worth 70 quid? I dont mind paying that if they are a alot better than the others. If anyone has used bulbs by any of these companies or others I would be grateful of any opinions

Hi there.

I have been experimenting with the various brands in order to change my foglight bulbs on my S3 (H7 Fitment). I have the xenons and have changed my sidelights to the PIAA 1W (TeraLED) which are awesome and don't compare to any inferior LED bulb assembly. These 501 bulbs actually require a seperate ballast as they are that powerful. As for replacement fillament bulbs, I have gone thru Philips Bluevision, Some ebay H7 "Xenon" effect bulbs and a set from Autobulbs Direct. In my opion, they're all pretty similar and if anything the cheapest bulbs (Ebay) actually provide the cleanest white light and look good in the reflectors. For actual quality, you can't beat PIAA, the amount of R&D they invest in producing these bulbs is amazing and in my opion justify the (very) high price. The PIAA Xtreme white are fantastic and as long as you remember that no bulb get get you close to the effect gas discharge bulbs provide, these are a very good second choice. I've looked at aftermarket Xenon's for my fog which would aesthetically provide the symettery for all my bulbs. Unfortunately, there is a reason that they are not fitted as OEM as they take a while to get to full operating temperature (and foglights require immediate response) and require both a washer system and auto levelling system to be UK road legal. Hope this is of assistance. Ants

Thanks a lot for your reply, im definatly going for the PIAA now. Im not bothered about "blueness" just want bright long lasting bulbs
thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

it wont be a ballast on the teraLED, leds dont need ballasts.

it will be a resistor. All beit a big one.

Leds dont work on 12v, the voltage has to be dropped.

Ive been using the PIAA terra leds for nearly a year now and they are fantastic.
You can get them from PriRacing and they guy is very helpful.

did they push straight in Mo?

I read it was a little larger in diameter.

expensive @ £35.55 + postage + vat!

hi Paul, yep they are a tight fit but fit in perfectly. There is a large resisitor that has to be wired in as well but is easily hidden behind the remoavable panel.
I have some pictures somehwhere with them on in case any one wants to see them?

I HIGHLY recommend them and look the dogs nads with the audi clear lenses.

I wouldnt mind seeing them mate.

Im intrigued.

I guess the cost reflects the product, all i hear on the TT forums is blown leds not likeing the higher running voltage on the Audi's (typically peaking 14v + ) and the heat being close to Xenons.

The heat output is minimal. I went through 2 sets of various makes but all failed over a short period of time.
I have gone through 2 MOT's with these on and no problems at all.
Paul, forward me your email address and i will send you some pics.