1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A litre of oil over

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by chinnyhill10, Feb 12, 2013.

1. chinnyhill10

chinnyhill10 Member

Ever since I've had my TDI 2.0 170 I've thought the oil level seemed high. It was always over the top of the dipstick.

To this end today I purchased a Pela pump with the intention of removing the excess. I'm no techy so didn't want to do an oil change but easy enough to pump out a little.

So there I go, and start removing the oil? How much can it possibly be over? A coke cans worth?

An hour later and to finally get it to the middle of the dipstick I have removed 1 litre!

To me that seems like rather a lot. Is it true the DPF dumps excess fuel into the oil? As I understand any fuel not fully vaporised ends up in the engine which could explain it.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
  2. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

I'd say it was over filled by at least 1/2 litre of oil.
  3. chinnyhill10

chinnyhill10 Member

Could be. Don't think its gone up much, if any, in the 6 months since I had it. Was always about half a cm above the max point which a friendly mechanic told me wasn't the end of the world.

Just finally got around to doing something about it due to having a few rough starts.