A few wrapping questions before I get started

eddscott

Reaction score
I want to wrap the interior shiny bits in carbon. Mine are looking a bit shabby and I like the carbon look.

I'm going to do with interior bits, the front grille and the exhaust cover thingy on the rear bumper.

Now for the interior a bits I'm assuming 10X120mm sheets will do the trick around the dash bits and probably 20x120mm for the ashtray and the bit around the stick.

The grille I'm not so sure about - do you run the wrapping around the outside or cover the whole grille in say 120x120mm and cut out the middle and trim round till its tidy?

The rear bumper bit is probably similar to the interior bits.

When heating it can you use a hair dryer or does it have to be a heat gun? Why do you heat it up before applying it?

Any help or tips would be really appreciated.

heating it up makes it more applyable yeah a hair dryer is fine thats what i used 2 do mine the other day!

Me and a friend are starting a business doing vehicle wrapping and we first started off using hair dryers which took a while but can be done. The wrap is like a glue, when its cold it won't really work but when it's warm its sticky as f*ck. Just take your time as it can get very annoying at time and good luck :icon_thumright:

Cheers guys, will start with the dryer first and see how it goes.

Another thing - removing the exhaust trim bit - I've read it just pulls off - is that right?

removing the exhaust trim bit - I've read it just pulls off - is that right?

yep, check under the car first and make sure there aint any screws holding it on like mine had, then crouch down and start at one side, pull it towards yourself, you think it will snap it but it is quite flexable and should come out, then do the other side same, then pull the rest and it should pop out.

I must tell you though, start wrapping on small stuff first to get a feel for it, and try and get the carbon to go the same way if you know what i mean, i stuck mine on then used the heat gun to pull the access wrap round to tuck it around the back of the object your wrapping, and it sticks like sssshiiiit to a blanket.

Anything with curves will set you back a bit but like i say, the more you do it, the better you'll get

what about the bit of chrome/alu on the bumper where the boot shuts does that come off?

get a screw driver covered in a cloth and gentle prise it off starting at one side!

How do you do the grill?

Do you have one long thin sheet and run it round the chrome or do you have a big square and cut the middle out?

Have a friend who is going to wrap the chrome window edging in Matt black in May.

Wrapped my interior, old grille & rear chrome strip.... I got myself a role of carbon 1m x 1.5m, cut out a piece large enough to lay over the grille surround and cut out the middle then used the wifey's hairdryer to warm and mould.
there was plenty left to wrap the rest.

Mac