A few questions to people running water meth

H17YD L

Reaction score
I've ordered my WMI kit (AEM 30-3000) it's a progressive kit which I've been after, just wanted to to get some ideas where people have mounted their bits.
My plan is to have the controller in the glove box, tank and pump in the boot but don't know whether to mount it on some carpeted wood to one side or just screw the tank to one side and have the pump under the floor, I'm sure there is a bit of space for it.

Another question is where do you get the methanol from? A few weeks back I had a look and found some chemical website selling it, I think it was 20L for £20 is that about right?

I have got a revo throttle pipe so going to inject it in one of the ports there, so that bits sorted.

I would mount it in the spare wheel well. Take out the foam thats got all the gubbings on it and mount the pump and tank in the recess. Nice n tidy that way.

I like that idea a lot but would I have to get rid of the wheel? It's only a 3.8L tank so not too big

This is how AMDTuning did my install of the same kit.

P1000605.jpg

P1000602.jpg

The pump is concealed in the unused battery housing beside the spare wheel.

Most model aircraft/car stores sell methanol,and also make sure you use deionised or distilled water or the injector will fur up pretty quickly.

There is a theoretical risk of methanol degrading the throttle butterfly,which is made of ABS,and USRT in the States make a spacer to go above the throttle,and inject through that,but you will need a 1 bar check valve(I think this is now included in the AEM kit) to ensure you don' t pull meth into the manifold when you close the throttle.

Now,to put that in perspective,mine has run the biggest injector in the kit,for over 20 000 miles at some pretty decent boost and flow rates,with no issues with the butterfly,when the body was recently replaced.

Last edited:
Glad you spotted the thread Alex as I know you run meth. That's a really good installation I shall try and follow the same installation. Thanks for the tip about the water!
I read about the methanol attacking the plastic. So are you saying you ran it before the throttle body and had no trouble in 20k? That's good enough for me if so

Last edited:
Glad you spotted the thread Alex as I know you run meth. That's a really good installation I shall try and follow the same installation. Thanks for the tip about the water!
I read about the methanol attacking the plastic. So are you saying you ran it before the throttle body and had no trouble in 20k? That's good enough for me if so

That's pretty much it,and both myself and AMDTuning took a good look at the throttle butterfly when my original throttle body failed recently,due to an unrelated issue.

If you do decide to be ultra-safe,here's the link.

Throttle Body Spacer Plates

That's good enough proof to me that I'll be ok, I do a maximum of around 4k a year and I'm going to have my meth on a switch so won't get used that much... Everyday use in other words lol!
I believe it's better to inject as far away from the TB but after the intercooler to allow it to disperse and cool the charged air most effectively

Alex I hope you an help me with a question I have.
The kit is all fitted and working great, I'm running water currently, meth should be here today.
Now the question I have is the AEM kit now only comes with 2 nozzles, the small one is rated upto 350bhp and the large 350-650bhp, my car is running 350bhp so I've got the small jet in, but I don't know if I should run the bigger one as hopefully I'll be gaining a few horses with it running. What is the adverse effects of running the larger nozzle?

Alex I hope you an help me with a question I have.
The kit is all fitted and working great, I'm running water currently, meth should be here today.
Now the question I have is the AEM kit now only comes with 2 nozzles, the small one is rated upto 350bhp and the large 350-650bhp, my car is running 350bhp so I've got the small jet in, but I don't know if I should run the bigger one as hopefully I'll be gaining a few horses with it running. What is the adverse effects of running the larger nozzle?

Probably none,other than a higher flow rate than you would need,but I'd be inclined to use the smaller jet,and have the start and max levels set to around 12psi and whatever your maximum boost level is(which I'd think is around 1.5 bar or 21psi).

Make sure you always use demin or distilled water.

I'll leave the smaller one in, I've now filled it with the methanol and water mix so will have to see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Ben2487 and S3Alex
I'll leave the smaller one in, I've now filled it with the methanol and water mix so will have to see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!
No worries.

The bigger the boost and higher the intake temps,the better the results.

And whatever the outcome,have a very Merry Xmas.