1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of problems

A4_2.4V6 Apr 8, 2011

1. A4_2.4V6

A4_2.4V6 New Member

I'll start with the creaking that has developed on what appears to be the steering.
    A couple of weeks ago now my car started creaking when you turn the steering wheel it's very loud and frankly embarrasing :blush: Now my brother has an MOT garage and on the weekends I have access to his ramps which is a great help with the car being lowered, anyway I took it over a couple of days after it started and between us put foward a couple of possibilities suspecting the arms on the top of the suspension. I'm no mechanic though and thought I should seek the advice of people who may of had the same problem? After putting it on the ramp and jacking it up there was nothing when it came off the ramp and the weight of the car was back on the suspension it creaks again. Has anyone on here had that problem? Once I am sure I will go next door and get the parts required to sort the problem. All help appreciated.

Also this one confuses me a little... If I go over a pothole or a something in the road that jolts the car I get the warning light for the brake system flash on then go out this also happens should the wheels spin on pull off. In looking in the manual I'v checked the brake fluid levels and they are ok so the only other information I get from the manual is that it could be a problem with the ABS but the ABS light isn't on???

Thanks in advance

Amy

2. PAULF

PAULF Active Member VCDS Map User

Try checking the steering fluid.
    It should be the green stuff, and if it is low, you get all sorts of groaning and creaking!

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

It will be the balljoints on the front suspension causing the creaking. I'd personally just replace the lot, you can get Meyle kits which replace everything for around £330

4. nwmlarge

nwmlarge flat out

drivers seat ?

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Also your flickery warning might be low brake fluid.

6. A4_2.4V6

A4_2.4V6 New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys I'll make a start on re-checking fluid levels and getting parts to replace those that need doing.

Very much appreciated.

Amy