A big thank you to Dani_B19.. And more modifications

Andrew@A.L.D

May add NOS to 600+bhp S3.
Reaction score
Website
www.aldevelopments.com
After my cam snapped i decided to remove the head for inspection, At first i thought the only damage was the cam and the head looked fine until i took the tappets out to find the 3 tappet bores were damaged from the fragments of metal from the cam snapping.

Anyway i was after another head and thanks to Dani_B19 he had a AEB head that was sat in his garage doing nothing, Just want to say that Dani it is a great guy even more so for selling me the AEB head.

Its was only 10am when i left Dani's this morning and its now been stripped, ported to and a bit beyond a JNL spec head and will do the finishing off the ports asap, My old head was done to my spec I'm not saying that my own spec head wasn't any good but i'm after higher numbers and when i'm done with the porting job the head will be thrown onto the flow bench to beat the JNL spec.

Picture to come

Your welcome mate, was nice to finely meet you in person, i didnt realise how long we'd be talking or id have offered you a cupper and some biscuits haha.

Lmfao @ Dave, ive still got a garage and bedroom full of shiney bits to fit :).

Reactions: Benjiman46
I know, i didnn even think haha.

How you getting on so far with the head?

Shame about the damage Andrew, but glad you spotted it.

I think I need to seriously think about saving up for an exhaust porting from you

Shame about the damage Andrew, but glad you spotted it.

I think I need to seriously think about saving up for an exhaust porting from you

You will have to let me know what manifold your running as there are so many sizes, My manifold has massive ports when the TSR one found on stacey's build is only a few bigger than standard

Ok back onto topic and off the topic of my mum haha.

lol Dani won't like this but his mum is a bit of a milf

cylinder head is coming on well, taken loads out of the inlet just reshaping it.

How do you think the effect of taking lots of material out of the inlet in order to gain max flow (with the downside being slower air travel and less drivabilty at lower engine speeds) will be with your car pre spool? Is the torque monster impressive enough so that it wont feel like a power switch with the GTX35?

As always, great to see updates on this.. :)

at any given boost it will be flowing as fast as it can/is allowed by the head anyway.
that question only really matters for N/A

Whilst that is correct to a degree Karl, my question is regarding his pre spool, port air speed conditions, which with the advent of the GTX35 will be circa <4000rpm?? +/- 1000rpm?
Fair point in that it is essentially in the N/A portion of his engines characteristics, but even in the lower onset of boost delivery, the port sizing will affect his driveability round the doors. Only higher will the overly ported and much free flowing cylinder head sing. So back to my question, does the package create enough torque lower down so that the free flowing head and GTX35 wont make for an "on/off" power switch?

The ports arnt any bigger just been reshapped and just by reshapping them lots of metirial had to be removed in certain areas so flow shouldn't be effected much anyway, my exhaust ports are much bigger than my old AEB head

The power delivery on small 500hp plus engines in a light car is quite on and off if you are talking about full throttle transition from off to on boost. Not a lot you can do about that. But, it's actually quite controllable, and with wide power band easy to keep on song :)

Rick

After about 18-20 hours of work the ported bit has been finished off, Just need to pop it into my mate in the engine machine shop for new guides and a skim.

The head has just come out of my sonic ( Not ultrasonic )/Degreasing tank and as Dani will tell you the head was black when he handed it over, Just need to rebuild it when i get it back with some custom cams, new tappets and everything that was in my old head.

Image0431_zps42f54edc.jpg

Image0430_zps9ffc071a.jpg

Image0428_zps63e17a11.jpg

Image0427_zps4b68427c.jpg

Image0426_zps58a097a0.jpg

Image0425_zpsf682ef0c.jpg

Image0422_zps397c0d16.jpg

Looking good mate.

Have you taken the porting and polishing beyond your old head? Ooh yes, its was very very dirty haha.

Well just got a text form my mate with the flow bench and been told i've improved flow of the head by 20.2/21.4% intake/exhaust.

My old head did 17/18% intake/exhaust, thats a massive gain over my first head.

Reactions: StaceyS3
Well done matey, very nice improvement. The cars going to be bigger and badder than ever with all the tweaks youve got planned :).

Just had this brought to my attention. Very flattering you find the need to compare and beat. Just out of interest though what type of head are you using as a bench mark a street head, strip head, race head, stock valves, aftermarket valves, stock cam profile, na intake cam profile, aftermarket profile (catcams integrated etc), what size turbo was head spec'd for, which intake manifold and exh manifold were being used, was it port matched etc... and are comparisons based on cfm or fps?

Only reason I'm wondering is because our different specs will flow differently at different lift ranges and different airspeeds at the sacrifice or sometimes gain of cfm for different turbo and driving conditions, hence why we don't cnc. Anyway just curious really.

Cheers JP

To be honest jp I don't know the full spec of the head I have of yours, I just know its one of yours and it has standard size valves. I can't even remember the flow figures it made when a friend put it on his flow bench. I just know it was much better flow figures than standard as anyone knows so it was a good guide for me to do my own but a few tweaks to the exhaust ports to match my own manifold.

@ Andrew, from the description you got a street based head. If going for the 600 mark similar design but port match to intake manifold gasket and keep the same cross sectional area through the rest of the port. This will loose a little cfm but the drop in port velocity will allow you to run more boost before you hit sonic choke.
Exhaust side give it a little more area in the bowl under the seat this will help prevent the seats burning on the valve, during extended high rpm/boost situations. If you got the tools also add a 60 degree cut to the exhaust seats, but don't make the 45 seat too narrow.

Good luck with your goals

JP

Reactions: JudderMan, Dani_B19, Andrew@A.L.D and 2 others
That's great info there jp. Most tuners/engine builder never like to give out that sort of info

thank you, I'm still learning about these engines and every little helps

JP, what sort of port job would you recommend for a milder engine, im talking circa 400hp, no more than 30psi, stock cams.

I port matched my inlets, and basically smoothed all the casting, and slightly blended the seats in a tad with concentration on getting the bowls smooth andd even.
I havent made the cross sectional area from the port matching the same right the way in the port. It tapers nicely to a stock size. Based on the theory that a milder setup without cams and <30psi would appreciate air velocity over shear volume.
Large port inlet mani also port matched btw.

My exhaust side is also very basic, i think i might give this some more work now ive gained a little confidence.

Advise appreciated.

@ Andrew, no probs info is how people learn all got to start somewhere. In same token info is only as good as the execution.

@ Superkarl. Boost pressure is the air left that the engine can't swallow. Make the engine more efficient and you can have more power with less pressure. So although the turbo is spinning faster and shifting more air volume because the head can pass more volume it makes less boost for the same or more power. So you can have a 400hp engine that's peaky with a good kick or one that pulls smooth with lots of area under curve that doesn't feel as fast but is faster in reality. So it becokes very difficult to just say do this and that and it will do what you want it to do. This is partially where the experience comes into play. If you want good throttle response though just cleaning the casting on the intake is sufficient to achieve that. The flow the head is capable of that point will easily make your target. Personally though for 400-450 I prefer a heavily reworked small port with a gtx3071 on .63 hotside. It tears up proper fast that way :)