1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 A4 Avant Tdi Cambelt Interval

Steve169 Oct 22, 2009

1. Steve169

Steve169 New Member

Hi, I own a 99 a4 Avant Tdi and I'm trying to work out when my cambelt needs changed, I have a receipt for it being changed in 2006 at 122k miles, the car is now on 152k.

I have tried searching around and found quite a few figures ! is 60k a safe bet ? so at 182k...........if it makes it ! :respekt:

Cheers

Steve

2. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

50-60k or 4-5 years, depending on the driving style and if you do motorway or loads of stop/starts... Belts ussualy break at a smidge over 100k but the water pumps and rollers dont last that much. I would check if both tensioner and relay roller has been changed or get a good mechanic to have a look. Shiny belt= long milleage, dull colour means low mileage. I reckon these cars should have a clock wich counts the hours the engine runs as a London car who spend a lot of time in trafic will put more strain on the belt that a car who is cruising at 80Mph on the motorway ! Its better to be safe than sorry. Also, if your engine is the VE 110Bhp one it would go a bit more than 180K...much more !

3. Steve169

Steve169 New Member

Cheers for that, it used to be a company car so hopefully the vast majority were on the motorway and was also serviced for any minor fault......just got to hope it wasnt driven in 1st everywhere !

It's my first audi and I have been most impressed I only paid £1500 and it passed its MOT with no advisorys :respekt:

Just need to get hold of a new bonnet, mine is rusting badly under the grill,since its silver its prob cheaper just getting one off a breaker !

Not sure what engine it is............:rtfm:

4. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

On the first page in the service book(or spare wheel well) there is a sticker with the vin numbers and build options. The angine code should be: AHU-90Bhp, AFN-110Bhp or AJM- if it's the PD 115Bhp engine...a bit too early for that though ! However the AFN( wich i think you have) is the strongest diesel engine AUDI have designed and it will go past the 400K mark with just basic servicing...neighbour next door's son has a w reg a4 sallon with over 350K daily runner !

5. Steve169

Steve169 New Member

Ah yeah it is AFN, thats good news then since I'm currently commuting Dorest to Newcastle every weekend ! was going to look for something with lower miles but might wait =)