1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 A4 Avant Tdi Cambelt Interval

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Steve169, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Steve169

Steve169 New Member

[Oct 22, 2009]
    Hi, I own a 99 a4 Avant Tdi and I'm trying to work out when my cambelt needs changed, I have a receipt for it being changed in 2006 at 122k miles, the car is now on 152k.

I have tried searching around and found quite a few figures ! is 60k a safe bet ? so at 182k...........if it makes it ! :respekt:

Cheers

Steve
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Oct 22, 2009]
    50-60k or 4-5 years, depending on the driving style and if you do motorway or loads of stop/starts... Belts ussualy break at a smidge over 100k but the water pumps and rollers dont last that much. I would check if both tensioner and relay roller has been changed or get a good mechanic to have a look. Shiny belt= long milleage, dull colour means low mileage. I reckon these cars should have a clock wich counts the hours the engine runs as a London car who spend a lot of time in trafic will put more strain on the belt that a car who is cruising at 80Mph on the motorway ! Its better to be safe than sorry. Also, if your engine is the VE 110Bhp one it would go a bit more than 180K...much more !
  4. Steve169

Steve169 New Member

[Oct 22, 2009]
    Cheers for that, it used to be a company car so hopefully the vast majority were on the motorway and was also serviced for any minor fault......just got to hope it wasnt driven in 1st everywhere !

It's my first audi and I have been most impressed I only paid £1500 and it passed its MOT with no advisorys :respekt:

Just need to get hold of a new bonnet, mine is rusting badly under the grill,since its silver its prob cheaper just getting one off a breaker !

Not sure what engine it is............:rtfm:
  5. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Oct 22, 2009]
    On the first page in the service book(or spare wheel well) there is a sticker with the vin numbers and build options. The angine code should be: AHU-90Bhp, AFN-110Bhp or AJM- if it's the PD 115Bhp engine...a bit too early for that though ! However the AFN( wich i think you have) is the strongest diesel engine AUDI have designed and it will go past the 400K mark with just basic servicing...neighbour next door's son has a w reg a4 sallon with over 350K daily runner !
  6. Steve169

Steve169 New Member

[Oct 22, 2009]
    Ah yeah it is AFN, thats good news then since I'm currently commuting Dorest to Newcastle every weekend ! was going to look for something with lower miles but might wait =)