1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98 A4 TDI(110)

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by fatbob, May 17, 2004.

1. fatbob

fatbob New Member

[May 17, 2004]
    Hello all nice board got lots of info off here already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifhope to give some back

Anyway my a4 tdi red eye has a very rattly ringing catalitic converter and im just wondering about a couple of things?
    1:are they rrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaly expensive to replace?
    2:could i cut it open empty it ,tig it back up and just run it?
    excuse my ignorance but i'm new to diesels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thx in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. DAF

DAF Member

[May 22, 2004]
    Now then fatboy glad you could join the board, yes cats are exspensive especilly if you take it to a main dealer, you might be better getting a performance exhust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  4. hannahj

hannahj New Member

[Oct 19, 2005]
    mine did the same, but it was the "flex joint" which failed. It had cracked and was making a gradualy noisier rattle.

I removed the cat pipe, ground off the outer mesh/guard and tig welded the fracture.
    Fine now.
    PS I was quoted £200.00 for new cat at local motor factors (and that was with a trade discount)
  5. moschino

moschino Member

[Oct 20, 2005]
    Fatbob,

I had this on my 98 TDredI.

The inside of the cat was rattling and after a few months it started to block the exhaust pipe and cause back pressure, could only do 30MPH until I hit it with a hammer! The insides was the same size as a tennis ball!
    Either replace it with another one or remove it and smash out the insides and replace the origional. It is not a MOT failure to have a non functioning cat on a diesel.
    To remove, put the front of the car up on ramps.
    Get underneath, about half way down the car and disconnect the exhaust joint, a bit of wiggling is needed here.
    Remove the 3 bolts that hold the cat to the turbo.
    You should be able to remove the cat and pipe up through the engine bay so you can get to the remaining 3 bolts that connect the pipe to the cat.
    Takes about 1 hour to do.
    Jim.