98 (8L) A3 Concert Stereo

BtownA3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just recently got my A3 - I have had a search through and couldn't really find an answer for my question (There is so much stuff on ASN its nuts!)

Im looking to swap out the standard concert tape deck to either an Aftermarket HU or swap it to the Concert CD HU and also connect a Parrot or Simmilar Maybe a Nokia CK200 or a THB Bury

I'm Pretty certain that I have the BOSE sound system (When the HU starts up it says BOSE, Plus i have the SUB in the rear) so to fit an aftermarket from what I have read is that i would need a PC9-410 ISO loom adapter to get the HU work with the BOSE system. I also think that Im going to need a Parrot ISO adapter as well to get it to work with the system is that right ?

On flea bay there are a fair few concert units going is there a paticular concert that will work with my year of Audi or is it any single din concert that will work ? - Also I think I would still need the Parrot ISO adapter if I went down this road ?

A few questions I know - Any and all Help Much appreciated from all the folks on ASN

You definately need a Concert 2 from an 8L A3 as the fascia's are slightly different on each Audi model (TT, A4 etc)
The main problem will be your lack of CANBUS. All the Concert 2's are from CANBUS equipped A3's and they use this to tell the HU when to power on/off with the ignition. Without this you will have to switch the HU on/off manually and it will turn itself off after an hour, not a big problem but just something to be aware of.
All A3's have a sub in the boot so I would also check whether it is a Bose one or not as the Bose welcome on the HU is purely cosmetic & doesn't mean anything. The Bose sub has a black front and 2 x 4" drivers whereas the non Bose has a single 6.5" driver and a metal front.
Aftermarket HU's and Bose do not mix well and you can get problems, so if you can stick to OEM it would be better.

Thanks for that AndyMac - I want to stay OEM as I'm not an ICE head! looks like im going to have to get hunting an 8L Concert (that could be hard!)
I will check tomorrow on the BOSE front again if it is not the BOSE system

AndyMac - I checked and Defo have the BOSE system - Would an easy route be to put the standard changer into the car ? As I have found the changer lead hidden behind the sub ?

All help much appreciated