1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 Ron v 95 Ron

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Handsome Pete, May 10, 2014.

1. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete New Member

[May 10, 2014]
    Hi All,

Does the ECU actually know if 97 Ron (BP Super Unleaded in my case) is in the tank and make suitable adjustments, or is it a waste of money putting in 97 Ron petrol in should stick with 95 Ron?

Thanks In Advance

Peter
  2. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

[May 10, 2014]
    Hi peter. The label on the petrol cap actually says 95 ROZ/ 98RON. ROZ is the yank equivalent to RON so you should only be using 98+. BP I find is pretty **** and has flat spots in power. V-power is what I use but I'm planning on doing a test between v-power and tesco as some people recommend tesco momentum to be very good!
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[May 10, 2014]
    The ECU doesn't know what petrol you put in but... the ECU does know the engines response to having lower grade fuel in... it will pull timing and performance drops off... if your car is standard then its not really noticable but if mapped it will be...

The engine is supposed to run on the higher octane fuel but can tolerate 95 if thats the only stuff you have available at the time

If mapped to use higher octane fuel then the effect of timing pull will be more dramatic...

<tuffty/>