1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 a3 1.8t sport

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Swornd, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Swornd

Swornd Member

Hi,

I have a few questions about my car.

Firstly I am thinking of getting new alloys but want to make sure they fit.

Rim Width: 8J
    Tyre Width: 225
    Rim Diameter: 18 inches
    Aspect Ratio: 40
    Offset: 35/45

Any idea if they would fit without hassle? Also would I be better off going with 17" due to performance issues.

Secondly my tape player occasionally turns itself off and only comes out the rear speaker for a second ( i have the tape concert head unit) and I have to turn it off and back on for it to work again, any idea what could be causing this?

Also there is a cable hanging out of the front of my bumper (passenger side) and it looks like it should connect to somethign but there is nothing there to connect to and I have no idea what it is. I will try getting a picture of it.

I am also planning to get it remapped, new dump valve (not sure whether to get a recirculated one or not?) and a panel filter. Would you have any reccomendations on these?

Cheers
  2. kaizokuninja

kaizokuninja Member

Always recirc DV, Atmospheric ones play havoc with the engine management apparently. Lots of time all these issues have been discussed. use the search function Dude!
  3. bl_1969

bl_1969 Roads? We Dont Need Roads!!!!

About the Panel filter..... discussed many times on here, but the standard one should do fine... even up to 300BHP. I got a K&N before I read about that.

The K&N makes a slight difference to noise but not much. And be careful if you do get a K&N... they are oiled and to much oil can cause issues with the MAF sensor.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Cheers
    b
  4. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Those will fit as long as they are 5 x 100 fitment, get them in ET35 and you'll be fone with 18's. I have 18"s in an 8J and they're fine. You may want to consider lowering your car though as the wheels will make it look a bit high on standard suspension etc.

If you got 17's you'll wish you went for 18's. I had a bit of a dillema and went for 18's....do glad I did.

Tom
  5. Swornd

Swornd Member

Cheers mate, someone else told me to stick with the recirc so nice to get it confirmed.

Just heard you may get a few bhp and also wouldn't mind a extra bit of grunt. So its pretty much not worth going for and just stick with the standard?

About the wheels, not sure what the fitment is, what I was looking at was:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-VW-AUDI-RS8-alloy-wheels-and-22540ZR18-tyres_W0QQitemZ280327374623QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash=item280327374623&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

Dunno if that helps out at all.

Cheers for all the fast replies.
  6. bl_1969

Seriously mate, you wont get added BHP from a panel filter. Lots of people done testing on it. But what you will get is that you can service it yourself and hence maybe save some candy. Also makes a slight difference in noise... more of a woosh... not much bit a bit.

Cheers
  7. bl_1969

Oh.... forgot to write a bit...

if you get a Forge 007p DV, it is serviceable too. and just better built. Also recommended for a remap. Last of all, and it has been reported by more than just me but gear changes seem smoother for some reason. I am not sure why but they really do.

Good Luck mate!
    b
  8. Swornd

Swornd Member

Yeah I pretty much presumed as much, still wouldn't mind a bit of noise. At the moment its completely standard and its dead silent which is nice in a way but I want to hear something. Would you reccomend the K&N one and know anywhere good to get them from?
  9. bl_1969

I bought mine from a garage in Glasgow at the going rate. Can pick them up most places I reckon.

Some say Greencotton ones are good too. Think they don't have oil on them but really not sure.
  10. Swornd

Swornd Member

Ah sound, Ill pop into town tomorrow then and see if I can pick one of those up. Just had a look around for that dump valve and found one for £77 which seems pretty good. For the remap I got a quote from a garage by me for £350 but no idea what kind that is (revo, etc). May have to check a few other places.
  11. kaizokuninja

kaizokuninja Member

As for remap, check out custom code on the forum main page. they do a remap, dumpvalve and a panel filter for under 400 i think. And they can travel to you if there is nowhere close for you to go!