1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'97-8 1.8T Sport. Save or scrap? *purchased pics added*

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Oranoco, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Oranoco

Oranoco Active Member

Mate of mine was driving down from Scotland last night in his A4 when it rattled and ground to a stop. AA man reckons cambelt has gone and he can't be botehred to repair so is going to scrap or said I can have it for a song. Is it worth saving?

It has cream leather and a sunroof but as far as I saw last night no aircon/climate, so not a great spec'd car.

If it has done the belt is it likely to have stuffed the bottom end as well as the valves in the head?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. jcb

jcb Active Member

did it break down near Edinburgh?! ;) bring it round!

bottom end will be fine, you are looking at a set of valves, guides and all usual consumables with changing the valves/head (seals, gaskets, belts, tensioners, water pump, coolant, oil etc)
    not a big job and could be done DIY with a few tools
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

If its free its worth having for breaking at the very least.
  4. Oranoco

Oranoco Active Member

I'll have to sort it and sell on as I can't store it at mine and my mum won't be happy if I dump ANOTHER car at her place. Mate of mine said I can stash it on his drive as a temp fix
  5. Oranoco

Oranoco Active Member

Well I parted with some of my hard earned and here we are. Saddly not a cambelt failure but oil pump so I am assuming this means at the very least a replacement bottom end?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. jcb

jcb Active Member

minging colour but looks clean enough.
    not worth the effort of stripping and building when you could pick up a whole engine for a few hundred and drop it in. if you then decide to rebuild the old to better condition at least you still have a run around or a whole car to sell on.
  7. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

New/used engine job done mate, should be a £1000 odd car after with ease
  8. Oranoco

Oranoco Active Member

I'm poking about now for a replacement motor. Got to be easier than getting my hands too filthy rebuilding it. Found a couple on E-Bay for about £300
  9. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

sorted, make sure you drop the sump and clean the strainer out before its fitted
  10. olds_kool

olds_kool Active Member

you'll probably find turbo is knackered from oil starvation so more cost, when you add up all the other stuff oil coolant gaskets etc then depending how much you paid for it, it might not be worth it

ebays full of cheap 1.8t's i only got £800 for the last one i sold (with black leather) and theres a 98 1.9tdi quattro avant for sale near me for £995 i dont reckon you'd get 1k for it

but i might be wrong
  11. macca

macca Member

i just picked up my catb for £337, as i needed engine and turbo to replace my modded one, damage isn't that bad and gives you some spares to sell on. thing i liked is i could see the engine running before i bought it, as i have bought a duff engine 2nd hand before.