96 year 80 Cabriolet

audi5e

Reaction score
Website
www.simplybirding.com
Hi All,

I have not been on here in a while. My old 100 with the 2.3 5 cylinder has finally met its end by connecting with a barrier railing. The car still drives fine but is not worth fixing as the repair bills for the body damage will be too high so the insurance will definitely write it off.

I am considering getting myself an 80 Cabriolet. The car in question is immaculate, drives very well, has FSH from the agents and has 165000Km.

It is the 2.6 V6 engine version with electric windows, mirrors, seats (leather), cruise control, fogs, ABS, etc. It is a 5 speed manual version.

Only thing I could fault on the car was a noise from the engine bay on start up which remained constant until a certain temperature. It must be electrically related to the warm up phase as it switched off the moment the car reached some preset temperature.

Rust is never an issue in Johannesburg and the car does not have an auto box to worry about. The only other item which might be a problem on any audi is the power steering, but I could not find any issues here.

Everything works perfectly.

What do you guys think. Should I buy it, or do I stay away?

Thanks,
Gordon

Hi Gordan long time no see.......sorry to hear about car ..the 80 cab sound good ...the sound could be air-con?.fan noise maybe?.......go for it great car to have with your weather

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice on the cab. Now to see what the insurance is going to contribute towards the deposit... :)

Cheers,
Gordon

PS took the cab for a test drive today and think I already look like a roasted turkey after only 10 minutes in the sun... :)