8V VCDS Mods

VCP is everything VCDS is plus more however VCDS is better documented, supported and labelled. If you are planing on working with FL MQB and MLBevo platform cars forget VCDS as no version of it fully supports the "good stuff". Suggest doing some bedtime reading on both as it would take a good few hours to cover the features of both applications.

If leaning towards VCP be warned... its lacking documentation and allows access to dealer level, actually I mean engineering and development level, coding and as such a large portion of the application is a "black art". Things can go south pretty fast if one is not sure about what they are doing.

EDIT:

Have been taking a few days out from the forum but am thinking to do a VCDS vs VCP video as I have some time free tomorrow. Have not forgotten about all the requests I have / am getting via pm, they will be answered, but making a little video will actually clear a good number of them out of my queue and free up some time :)

NICE, Looking forward to this!

Reactions: Rob2k68
with VCP Autoscan some controller information is not available (etc coding information).

Not possible to make a controller channels map.

2 really important functions missing what VCDS can do.

[...]

But the thing is driving me crazy is this one:

When you say that using a fake cable can lead to death, do you mean that if I use a fake cable the program can do something by itslef on the system? Just magic? Disable my ABS or Airbag while I just activated OIL on display? This is something really serious you should reply and make it sticky , and those cable suppliers all need to go to jail.

If what you mean instead is that people using VAG without knowing what they are doing then it's another story.

But now I am incredibly curious about that....

Thanks for understanding ( I hope )

Rob.

@DJAlix , sorry maybe you have been too busy to read my reply, so I am back to kindly ask for a reply to my question. I don't want to kill anyone. Thanks

@DJAlix , sorry maybe you have been too busy to read my reply, so I am back to kindly ask for a reply to my question. I don't want to kill anyone. Thanks
Oh I saw the reply and an answer is coming. I also saw your post on another forum which gained zero replies because the "fakery" is obvious. At least I have been bothered take time to answer so far :) In all honesty you should be able to come to your on conclusions of what the possible issues / side effects are in relation to cloned and fake software.

Look, due to a large number of different questions of late I am going to produce a few videos in order to try and cover off all the subjects. I shot a video the other day covering clones, vcds vs vcp and more but it sucked and I looked like crap lol. Am gonna try again today.

Reactions: Rob2k68, BodegaBay and T-800
In all honesty you should be able to come to your on conclusions of what the possible issues / side effects are in relation to cloned and fake software.

That's the point. I don't really see the possible side effect. I work in the IT industries, if you use fake OS, there is plenty of issue, cannot upgrade, can get ticket, but if you open Word, it still open Words also the fake OS. It doesn't write an email saying f**k you to your Boss :) Can you get my point? You made me really worry, I used the program to display OIL temperature following the guide before I discovered it was a fake cable, now I trashed it already but I have some worries , based on your wording.

Look, due to a large number of different questions of late I am going to produce a few videos in order to try and cover off all the subjects. I shot a video the other day covering clones, vcds vs vcp and more but it sucked and I looked like **** lol. Am gonna try again today.

That will be great, thanks.

Oh, BTW, what do you think about CARISTA. It looks damn cheaper for the function most of the user need to do on our cars rather then 200$ for VCDS. Will you suggest to go for it?

Thanks

That's the point. I don't really see the possible side effect. I work in the IT industries, if you use fake OS, there is plenty of issue, cannot upgrade, can get ticket, but if you open Word, it still open Words also the fake OS. It doesn't write an email saying f**k you to your Boss :) Can you get my point? You made me really worry, I used the program to display OIL temperature following the guide before I discovered it was a fake cable, now I trashed it already but I have some worries , based on your wording.

Oh, BTW, what do you think about CARISTA. It looks damn cheaper for the function most of the user need to do on our cars rather then 200$ for VCDS. Will you suggest to go for it?

Thanks
I suggest you do more research before making changes to your vehicle. Also inadvertly trying to point fingers at a member(s) that is here to help is not the best way to get additional support. Purchase the right and supported device (rosstech, obd11, carista) and you'll get the results you're seeking.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Russkiya, Rob2k68, T-800 and 1 other person
I suggest you do more research before making changes to your vehicle. Also inadvertly trying to point fingers at a member that is here to help is not the best way to get additional support.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

100% Agree......

DJAlix spends a lot of time helping others out when really he doesn't have to divulge diddly squat....

It tickles me that people always want to find the cheapest route with these things......

Invest £££ into proper VCDS or VCP

Learn the procedures involved before going changing things, as there is a hell of a lot to these pieces of software.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and rcnacura

Thanks
To type everything out will take too long. wait for the video and in the meantime throw the clone cable away, but as a taster...

Fake OS, doubt there is such a thing. Hacked OS 100%. What if the hacker did more than just hack the activation routine of say Windows 10? What if the hack had some untested side affects? What if opening a hacked MS word application actually deleted your system32 folder (actually hard to do while running) or deleted your online / cloud based documents? Lets look at another type of example, fake Apple lightning cable or charging plug. Items made via the cheapest bidder in order to sell cheaply. Would you really trust plugging a fake charger in to your 240v/110v supply? Now a fast car example... I know someone who tried to activate rear wiper tear drop wipe on a car via a clone and it disabled the cars aircon, front wipers, start/stop and rear turning signals... potential safety systems depending on the weather. A professional then needed to fix the mess. What if you tried to activate hill hold assist via a clone, and because the software has been hacked about in order for it to work and unintended side affect was that the ABS systems became modified? Lets even go back to basics.... cheaply made cable plugged in to your port, which supplies power. Said cheap components start to get warm. Said cheap components cause a fire, short out, spike your cars network? Get my point?

Carista? I have it. Not a lot you can do on facelift cars. PFL cars are more compatible. Works very well on older cars like A3 8P and A6 4G etc. Worth the subscription? Don't think so. Wish I had bought it when it was pay once. OBDeleven might be a better tool for the 8V to be honest but I have views on that application. Use the search button and I am sure you will find them :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and T-800
Is there any way to disable the Start-Stop on the MY16 S3? I *think* it's the later software on the MY16 or possibly the FL that prevents the temperature or voltage adaption trick to work? Has there been other solution found? Thanks!

Is there any way to disable the Start-Stop on the MY16 S3? I *think* it's the later software on the MY16 or possibly the FL that prevents the temperature or voltage adaption trick to work? Has there been other solution found? Thanks!

I have just taken delivery of a new 2017 A3 2.0TDI-184 on March 2nd. The first thing I did was to use VCDS to disable the Start/Stop system by changing the voltage setting from 7.6 to 12.1 and it worked fine. Start/Stop no longer cuts in at all. I assume it will work the same on the S3.
1. Module 19 (Can Gateway)
2. Adaption (10)
3. Go to channel: Start_stop_voltage_limit
4. Change value to 12.1V ( default is 7.6V)

I have just taken delivery of a new 2017 A3 2.0TDI-184 on March 2nd. The first thing I did was to use VCDS to disable the Start/Stop system by changing the voltage setting from 7.6 to 12.1 and it worked fine. Start/Stop no longer cuts in at all. I assume it will work the same on the S3.
1. Module 19 (Can Gateway)
2. Adaption (10)
3. Go to channel: Start_stop_voltage_limit
4. Change value to 12.1V ( default is 7.6V)

Thanks, I set it to 12 and it didn't work, will try 12.1 but not sure if there's any difference :(

does anyone in here know the coding for rear pace car indicators on a 2016 pre face s3? ive had them once and put them back now cant find code i used anywhere. thanks

@DJAlix

Im looking for disable the auto-on rear window wiper when I put on reverse gear.

Can you help me?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks in advance.

@DJAlix

Im looking for disable the auto-on rear window wiper when I put on reverse gear.

Can you help me?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks in advance.
For Pre-facelift Vehicles:
  • 09 - Cent Elect > Long Coding > Byte 18 = Deactivate (Rear Wiper Installed)
If your vehicle is a Facelift then I am not sure at the moment as I have not had the time to investigate.

Reactions: lewtontric
Alix, have you found a way to make the Lap Timer/G Force sensor work within the VC yet?

I got gforce to work easily with OBDEleven, I'll post my settings, it was call gforce..

I've already had lap timer from factory on my S3, but from memory I believe it's in the same place..

I also enabled Engine Data, but it doesn't work correctly.. I would love a solution for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HulkRS3
Alix, have you found a way to make the Lap Timer/G Force sensor work within the VC yet?

Gforce is under

Control Unit: Dashboard
Acceleration Display

If your vehicle is a Facelift then I am not sure at the moment as I have not had the time to investigate.

Mine is a pre-facelift, I will try this, many thanks.

My facelift gmeter works fine

Engine data isn't right, I think it needs to be set to a 4 cylinder not a 5 or 8 or 10 cylinder, but not sure where calibration is

I wonder if it can be calibrated in the MMI engineering menu?

Does anyone know how to get in there on the 8V PFL or FL?

Im using Obdeleven, whats the hex code I have to put on byte 18?

RERifTe.jpg

And to add to the above, if you have a FL 8V don't bother with VCDS and go for VCP, but again buy original and from an official retailer.

Hi. Can I ask why you recommend VCP over VCDS for the FL 8V?

I have a genuine HEX+CAN USB cable bought direct from Ross Tech many years ago, are you saying VCDS doesn't play well with the newer cars?

Cheers

AL

Hi. Can I ask why you recommend VCP over VCDS for the FL 8V?

I have a genuine HEX+CAN USB cable bought direct from Ross Tech many years ago, are you saying VCDS doesn't play well with the newer cars?

Cheers

AL
VCDS vs VCP video is in the works. There are not enough hours in the day for me at the moment, but information is coming.

TBH I recommend getting both and using them together.

If you can only get one of the applications I suggest VCP as VCDS cannot perform some of the newer coding or parameterisation changes needed by the new modules used in late 2016 cars onwards. This is not due to VCDS needing to play catch up with labels etc, its down to the fact that VCDS is missing a complete "programming" method, something that has always been around in the VAG world but until now never used as extensively within vehicles.

VCDS is still better supported and way more logical but lacks the advanced abilities now needed if you want to do more than just activate a few mods and reset a service indicator. For diagnostics VCDS is still king tho :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, T-800 and AL_B
Thanks for the explanation Alex.
No problem :)

There is actually a lot more detail to it that what I have said so far. I did make a very short video last week but while editing I binned it as what I touched on did not do VCDS or VCP any justice really and would prolly only prompt further questions lol. Its coming soon...

Reactions: Rob2k68 and AL_B
DJAlix could you tell me how to datalog 2015 s3 8v via Vcds. I want to check stock boost.

Can the A3 be coded to look like the S3 in the Virtual Cockpit?

I was messing around with the display today and didn't know you could change the layout. I need to drive the car more apparently lol

21668844a70526ca2fc0fc0abcdf14a0.jpg
cafc48ac099d0826fe8026a24fb4d6ed.jpg

Anyone Ayrshire-ish area can help me with some VCDS mods? Just 1 or 2 please. Will be happy to add to the beer fund!