8V VCDS Mods

Sounds like a dodgy retrofitter - any decent one would have coded it for you!

I wouldnt say i was dodgy :lmfao:

Reactions: Sayam and cemerson
I am pretty sure Needle Sweep is as above. But for some reason when i press "Do It", it showed me an error code something like "FFFFF5" Unknown Error or something.
Not sure if its because i am using an older version (12.12.0) But i was using a cable from ebay so unable to update..

You might not want to shout too loudly about using a non-genuine Ross Tech VCDS cable.

This site has a policy of not supporting or endorsing non-genuine cables.

its illegal to use... Ross Tech no longer licence VCDS like they used too... the 'Licence' is the cable itself as it acts as a dongle to activate VCDS... advantages to you is that you are not tied to the hardware you installed VCDS on like the old licence key method and obviously its a means of anti piracy for Ross Tech,I suspect this is not made under licence and therefore means that you will be using the software illegally...:busted cop:

Does anyone know the difference between the manual and automatic coding in regards to coming home lights? I can get manual to work by flashing my lights once I've turned ignition off but can't seem to get automatic to work...
Also for Leaving home lights, I've changed the coding to enable it but can't seen to make it work. Should the lights just come on when I unlock or is there additional sensors needed which aren't fitted to my car?
Hope someone can shed some light (no pun intended!) on this!

Does anyone know the difference between the manual and automatic coding in regards to coming home lights? I can get manual to work by flashing my lights once I've turned ignition off but can't seem to get automatic to work...
Also for Leaving home lights, I've changed the coding to enable it but can't seen to make it work. Should the lights just come on when I unlock or is there additional sensors needed which aren't fitted to my car?
Hope someone can shed some light (no pun intended!) on this!
Do you have light sensor?
Because if you dont have it you can only get coming home with the manual flash after the turn off ignition.
And forget the leaving home without light sensor.

Do you have light sensor?
Because if you dont have it you can only get coming home with the manual flash after the turn off ignition.
And forget the leaving home without light sensor.
Thanks again mate! Car wasn't fitted with light sensor, and sounds like it'll be too much hassle to retrofit it. Bring on the lighter nights!!

Agreed. Mine are at 50% dim during indicator (default is 30%). As are my side/parking lights.

We've had this debate many times before. It's not a good idea for DRL's and side/parking to be at 100% at all times.

It's against the EU directive to not dim during indicator, and the brightness of the 8V DRL is such that oncoming cars can't see the indicator on the non-combined DRL/Indicator option.

The LED indicators on the door mirror are angled for max intensity when viewed from the side of the car. As you move round to the front, they progressively get dimmer. [q]
I think it's "okay", on the sides of the car you're still able to see the indicator lights in de mirror clear enough imo...

What I don't get is why anyone should want to stop the dimming of the DRL LEDs when the indicators are used. There are enough cars around where the indicators are not easy to see with out making the whole situation worse. Audi have developed a good system that dims the LED DRLs so that the indicators show up well to other road users, why would anyone possibly want to change it.
What I don't get is why people are still taking the moral high ground about these mods. Frankly I think the Audi A3 8V looks broken and squinting/crosseyed/lazy-eyed when you turn on your indicator lights. It would have been better if BOTH the DRL LED beams were dimming when either left or right was indicating...

I don't get wanting to stop the dimming full stop. The whole point of them dimming is that at night time the LEDs are too bright and can dazzle. They have to be bright to be visible enough in daylight.

Another case of someone who thinks their ability to do what they want with their car overrides the rights and safety of other road users.

Another case of somebody who thinks I bought a one size fits all car and he gets to be all judgemental about things I don't like about it. Damn, if I knew all those things weren't adjustable I even wouldn't have chosen for the A3 and went for my old BMW 1 F20 although there were less options available and I couldn't drive an automatic gearbox due to CO2 regulations with the 2.0L diesel BMW offers with an automatic gearbox.

I laughed my pants off when I saw things like oil temp, visual parking aid, setting default ACC distance, locking your car while it is running and having "symmetric" lighting were things you had to mod after you bought a car with a list price around 35K EUR.

After the whole discussion, the only one who brought something technical useful to the discussion was

• Stop the dimming of the DRL LED beams when you turn on your indicator light (always full brightness)
STG 09
Access code 31347
Adaptation
(18)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert GH 2
Default: 30%. Set to: 100%.
(18)-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimmwert GH 3
Default: 30%. Set to: 100%.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Stop the dimming of the DRL LED beams when your xenon bulbs are lit (always full brightness) These are the same as sidelights.
STG 09
Access code 31347
Adaptation
(6)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert AB 2
Default: 30%. Set to 55%
(6)-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimmwert AB 3
Default: 30%. Set to 55%
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Full brightness for the DRL LED beams when you turn on your left or right parking light
They are all the same, you just have to try different letters like CD, AB, or GH...
In this case it may be CD, and if you see the Leuchte part has numbers like 30, its the dimming %.

In my case I also have 100% LDR while coming/leaving home and I don't know the parking lights but they are also bright like the 60% I said earlier.
Its just a matter of trying inside the ones that have value 30%.

PD: Its very important that you dont set the Leuchte AB ones to 100% as you may blind drivers but I'm sure you will test and see it for yourself.

He gave the requested advice and you know what? He was right about the last part. Because of the mod I did earlier where my coming home and leaving home lights are on full brightness (which is not so bad, since I park my car on my driveway or between cars and the lighting is distorted) I noticed that they are indeed quite bright. I parked the car on a large parking spot in our garden and looked at it from an angle through the kitchen window... I talked about it with my father and we both agreed that the LED DRL's are too bright...
So, without being condescending ChiYoung was able to moderate my opinion about the brightness of the DRL LED's and let me observe it myself.

The result is that I will check out how 80%/70%/60% turns out...

Reactions: ChiYoung
There isn't a moral high ground when mods affecting safety is involved.

There's a difference between a mod changing how information is displayed in the DIS -

and a mod that affects all road users, not just yourself.

Reactions: alistairm1, Jerodequin, cemerson and 2 others
This one looks really great !!!

#############################################
Leds et clignotants en opposition de phase - TESTED
--------------------
Selectionnez STG 09 (Centrale elec)
Accés Sécurité -> 31347 -> Login
Adaptation 10. Changer les valeurs suivantes :
(16)Leuchte2SL VLB10-LichtfunktionG2 à "Blinken links Hellphase"
(18)Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmung GH2 à "0"
(16)Leuchte3SL VRB21-LichtfunktionG3 à "Blinken rechts Hellphase"
(18)Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimmwert GH 3 à "0"
S'assurer que
(19) Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimming Direction GH 2
(19) Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimming Direction GH 2
sont bien à "minimize"
#############################################

Last edited:
Depends if you think Switzerland has adopted EU/UN Directives ;)

European Directive 76/656/EEC, as amended by 2008/89/EC

General:
No flashing lights other than:
Direction-indicator lamps, the vehicle-hazard warning signal, amber side-marker
lamps [..], and the emergency stop signal.

DRLs:
If the distance between the front direction-indicator lamp and the daytime running
lamp is equal or less than 40 mm, the electrical connections of the daytime
running lamp on the relevant side of the vehicle may be such that either:
(a) It is switched OFF; or
(b) Its luminous intensity is reduced during the entire period

If a direction-indicator lamp is reciprocally incorporated with a daytime running
lamp, the electrical connections of the daytime running lamp on the relevant side
of the vehicle shall be such that the daytime running lamp is switched OFF during
the entire period (both ON and OFF cycle) of activation of the direction-indicator
lamp.

Reactions: alistairm1, h5djr and lucas-suisse
Another case of somebody who thinks I bought a one size fits all car and he gets to be all judgemental about things I don't like about it.

As far as I'm concerned, this is not something you have the right to make a choice on. Thinking you should be able to modify the car however you like shows complete arrogance, selfishness and a complete lack of regard for other road users. I don't particularly care what your expectations when buying the car were, or whether you want a 'one size fits all' or not, some of these mods are against the law, and for very good reason, and when you take the attitude of "screw you all, I'm going to do what I want with my car because I don't give a damn about anyone else", you can make damn sure I will make my opinion on your selfish attitude known.

I'll say no more on the subject.

Reactions: Jerodequin, alistairm1, h5djr and 1 other person
Does anyone know the coding required to enable a retro-fitted cruise control on the A3 Saloon? I have been looking at getting it done however the place that offers both fitting and coding is a long way off. There is a place very near me who will fit it however say they don't provide the coding. So I was thinking of getting them to do the mechanical bit of fitting it and then coding it myself.

Yea.
1. Module 19 (Can Gateway)
2. Adaption (10)
3. Go to channel: Start_stop_voltage_limit
4. Change value to 12.1V ( default is 7.6V)

I have done this and can confirm it works :thumbs up:

I've also just done this mod. I'm off to London in the car tomorrow so that should be a good test to see if it has worked on mine as well.

Reactions: RYuill
I've also just done this mod. I'm off to London in the car tomorrow so that should be a good test to see if it has worked on mine as well.

Well I can confirm that this mod works well on my 184 TDI. During my journey to London today, in all sorts of stop-go traffic, my start/stop never cut in at all and the engine stayed running all the time. So if anyone does not like the start/stop system, this is the mod to do.

Reactions: RYuill
Well I can confirm that this mod works well on my 184 TDI. During my journey to London today, in all sorts of stop-go traffic, my start/stop never cut in at all and the engine stayed running all the time. So if anyone does not like the start/stop system, this is the mod to do.

Thats good to know, its on the list of things to do to mine when it arrives

It's so it doesn't unlock from the inside. When u lock your car you press the lock button once and the car locks, but the doors can still be opened by pulling the handle to open the door from the inside, so if someone were to break your window they could then reach in and open the door, or if the window is open a jar they could use something like a wire coat hanger (or any similar device) to reach through the gap to open the door from inside. With deadlocking u press the lock button a second time and it dead locks the doors, so they can not be opened from inside making it that little bit more of a pain in the ar5e to get in the car to steal it.

I thought the button presses were the other way around; ie press once to deadlock:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/Locking-the-car.230126/

John.

You are correct. 2 presses 'undoes' the deadlock, which is utterly insane to me.

Why? You normally want the doors deadlocked, so one press is logically right, even if it is different to how cars used to be locked.

It is common to all the VAG cars we have had recently (Skoda Superb, VW Touareg).

I've outlined the reasons in other places, but in short... you'd expect intuitively that more presses on the lock button to make the car more secure, not less. This is what most brands I've come across by default. Also, lots of people press the lock button as a 'check' if they missed the first flash of the lights - you wouldn't expect this 2nd check to make the car less secure. I got into the habit from another brand to press the lock button twice anyway (not that I do with the A3 because I have advanced key).

Anyone know if it's possible for a mod that allows the music to remain on after I've pulled the key out? I'd like for it to keep going until I'm out of the car and locked it.

Has anyone managed to activate the ACC menu in the MMI yet using VCDS?

I've tried but when it gets to Channel 7 it's not there?

1. Select STG 13 (ACC)
  2. STG access permissions -> Function 16
  3. Enter access code 14117
  4. STG adjustment -> Function 10
  5. Select Channel 7
  6. Set value to 1

Has anyone managed to activate the ACC menu in the MMI yet using VCDS?

I've tried but when it gets to Channel 7 it's not there?

1. Select STG 13 (ACC)
  2. STG access permissions -> Function 16
  3. Enter access code 14117
  4. STG adjustment -> Function 10
  5. Select Channel 7
  6. Set value to 1

Cracked it. Channel 7 isn't there but if you drop the list down and select the option that's labelled something to do with time gap and then select On that put's the ACC menu on the MMI so you can select your default distance which by default is 3. I've set mine to 4.

I've now done the Needle Sweep, Oil Temp, Lap Timer and ACC menu with my VCDS. If anyone else wants something done give me a shout, I'm in Kent.

Last edited:
What equipment should i be purchasing to enable me to access VCDS?

What equipment should i be purchasing to enable me to access VCDS?

Hi David, Check out the VCDS/VAG-COM HEX-USB+CAN diagnostic tool for VAG group cars I bought mine from ILEXA.CO.UK As you may have gathered chinese replicas can be bought for peanuts from ebay but would you really trust this on your new motor - I certainly wouldn't.

Hi David, Check out the VCDS/VAG-COM HEX-USB+CAN diagnostic tool for VAG group cars I bought mine from ILEXA.CO.UK As you may have gathered chinese replicas can be bought for peanuts from ebay but would you really trust this on your new motor - I certainly wouldn't.
Hi Rob .....Hmmmm....yeah im not so keen on splashing out £270 for it ..but i also agree cheaping out on it isnt worth the risk. Might just leave it be and enjoy the car .....Thanks for the pointer

] .....Thanks for the pointer

You're welcome mate. Think there's a VCDS map on the forum showing where people with cables are based mostly willing to help for free or for beer tokens. I'm buying from Northanpton too so guess we can't be too far from one another.

You're welcome mate. Think there's a VCDS map on the forum showing where people with cables are based mostly willing to help for free or for beer tokens. I'm buying from Northanpton too so guess we can't be too far from one another.

I have just moved to Northampton and only about 5mins from the Audi Dealer. Do you have a VCDS cable/software then? I will happily pay some dollar for a few mods .....I really like the sound of Rear DRL's and the Rear parking sensor screen display :)

What time are you booked in to collect your Audi on 1st of March?

I would argue that £270 or whatever VCDS is these days is expensive. You've bought a 25-35K car, £270 is nothing considering what it does for you. The ability to check for errors gives you real peace of mind.

Of course, I have a VW Polo and my Dad has an A7 so it get's its fair share of usage.

Hi David, Yes I have a pucka cable which I've used a fair bit on my previous A3, my current Seat Leon and my mates Octavia VRS. On the Octavia we've enabled passenger mirror dip, high beam assist, traffic sign recognition and loads of other bits which has saved him £££££'s compared to what they would have cost if he'd bought them on his car as options. We've also personalised some settings for example the speed thresholds at which high beam assist operates and the frequency of headlamp washers when the screenwash is used so's not to empty the water bottle every 5 minutes so it's handy for that too. Not done much on my Leon as it came pretty fully loaded anyway as a Seat pre-reg but on my last A3 it was useful to retro-fit cruise control, bluetooth phone prep and ambient lighting. Visual parking sensor screen would be a good one to have for very little effort.

I'm looking to collect on March 7th but not confirmed yet. That is my choice as the wife is working that weekend so I have it all to myself to play with the new toy although also need to keep little lad entertained. I'm just down the road in Rugby so it should be no problem to meet half way along the M1 at a pub or service station or whatever works best.

Reactions: David83S3
f5a8d765a5ff6ddf882b2eaeb3a98fc1.jpg

fecf93f0a2b097a85d7c563d879079cb.jpg

Need some help with my long code. I tried changing some figures but it came up with flashing lights on the abs and traction control.

Any ideas?

Hi David, Yes I have a pucka cable which I've used a fair bit on my previous A3, my current Seat Leon and my mates Octavia VRS. On the Octavia we've enabled passenger mirror dip, high beam assist, traffic sign recognition and loads of other bits which has saved him £££££'s compared to what they would have cost if he'd bought them on his car as options. We've also personalised some settings for example the speed thresholds at which high beam assist operates and the frequency of headlamp washers when the screenwash is used so's not to empty the water bottle every 5 minutes so it's handy for that too. Not done much on my Leon as it came pretty fully loaded anyway as a Seat pre-reg but on my last A3 it was useful to retro-fit cruise control, bluetooth phone prep and ambient lighting. Visual parking sensor screen would be a good one to have for very little effort.

I'm looking to collect on March 7th but not confirmed yet. That is my choice as the wife is working that weekend so I have it all to myself to play with the new toy although also need to keep little lad entertained. I'm just down the road in Rugby so it should be no problem to meet half way along the M1 at a pub or service station or whatever works best.

Sounds like a plan !! Will be a nice drive and great to see your car ....I don't have the tech pack spec'd and would be nice to see it in action. So will I be able to actually activate high beam assist ...? That would be great...(seems crazy its in the car, but not active :audibash:) ....How long do these MODS take to setup?

This stuff doesn't void any warranty's does it?

:redrs4::s3addict:

Reactions: Rob2k68
Yes absolutely would be great to see another S3 on the road still not seen one away from a dealers !, also grab a beer or a BigMac :beerchug:

Most mods are fairly simple taking only a matter of minutes and work upon the click of the mouse that is to say instantly. Good question on the high beam assist it depends if you have the camera in your rear view mirror I've seen a separate thread on this so might be worth a look.

Hmmm, not sure on the warranty - I can't imagine Audi being too pleased about it but most mods are difficult to detect unless you go looking for them also some are more obvious than others. For example if you set your DRL's to off when the light switch is in the '0' position then a dealer may pick up on them not working and ask why. My Leon is set so that for the coming home lights to be the DRL's and fog lights instead of dipped beam which looks really good and gives the low down light on my drive which I prefer but a technician may spot that straight away as being non standard.

Reactions: David83S3