8V S3 Tuning Thread

Absolutely.

Also,a bigger turbo is running slower,and pushing a lot more air at lower temps,than a little one screaming it's guts out.

Mine runs less boost to produce a lot more power/torque than the previous turbo did,and like with the 8P,I think the difference that even a Stg1 remap makes is a big change to the way the car drives.

Surge is another big problem with a small turbo run too hard,and one which people pay far less attention to.

I forget who it was on here but remember seeing their custom tune was running 22psi with exhuast, intake, IC and they got 410ps. That's more impressive than top end numbers. Hitting efficiency, long gevity, good boost control preventing surge. Much more important things than head line numbers.

That is me ... 1.5 bar = 21.77 psi at peak boost

Reactions: S3Alex
Ok, Fitted the forge carbon intake at the weekend and had a drive about and I'm actually impressed. It sounds really well on the car and seems to of improved the exhaust note slightly. In terms of difference than standard it's seems a little more snappier and responsive. But I'm not saying it's a totally different car now, it's just slightly changed things. Fitment was very easy, maybe 15-20 mins and fits well in the engine bay. So over all I'm more than happy with it just waiting for Revo stage 1.

Reactions: batch, PanamaS3, Fiddie and 1 other person
@MikeParkin have you noticed any change in the induction noise and is the rest of your car standard e.g. exhaust?

Yes mate I have as above I'm very impressed. Yup my car is totally standard just waiting for Revo to sort the encryption out then going stage 1. @Forbzeeee

Reactions: Forbzeeee and Fiddie
Yes mate I have as above I'm very impressed. Yup my car is totally standard just waiting for Revo to sort the encryption out then going stage 1. @Forbzeeee
Thanks Mike!

Then I can fit VWR or APR intake and it will working fine with stock car without any stage and any kind of problem. Right?

Reactions: MikeParkin
Yeah. But sometimes there are not any gains until you go stage 1 etc. More so just for looks than performance at the moment but I feel it has changed things ever so slightly.

Reactions: Fiddie
Yeah. But sometimes there are not any gains until you go stage 1 etc. More so just for looks than performance at the moment but I feel it has changed things ever so slightly.
Not problem with that. I'd like to get a sporty sound for the moment until car's warranty ends then go for stage I.
Thanks again. :smiley:

Not an S3 but a Golf R, running Unicorn stage 1 and DSG map. I've also fitted a downpipe after I had the map done.

100-200kmh in 9.5 seconds.

Also verified the run using Vbox verify which checks for any declines in the run..

Reactions: MikeParkin and veeeight
NIce times Shorty! So some decent gains going stage 2 in top end as APR site stage 1 showing 10.8 100-200. 1.3 sec off is pretty decent. I read just before on Oz audi forum times of RS3 100-200 10.2 and ABT 9.06.

Also recent thread on Mk7 forum showing 3.26 0-60 timed using P3 UM stage 2/DSG tune. Guessing Around 3.5-3.6 0-100 times potential stage 2/DSG.

NIce times Shorty! So some decent gains going stage 2 in top end as APR site stage 1 showing 10.8 100-200. 1.3 sec off is pretty decent. I read just before on Oz audi forum times of RS3 100-200 10.2 and ABT 9.06.

Also recent thread on Mk7 forum showing 3.26 0-60 timed using P3 UM stage 2/DSG tune. Guessing Around 3.5-3.6 0-100 times potential stage 2/DSG.

0-100 ?
pk and nm ?

My car makes 360bhp 520nm on a good conservative dyno, maybe more on a 'figure happy' one.

My car is on the stage 1 map and not been properly adjusted for anymore since the downpipe was fitted. Boost peaks 22psi.

Not had chance to get any 0-100mph times yet. It also does the 60-100mph sprint in 4.8 seconds.

This may have been posted before but an interesting video nonetheless and a refreshingly open and honest overview from a tuner.

Edit - posted by Guy Harding on an Australian Audi forum.

Reactions: AndyB-S3, Wondering Soul, mfl and 4 others
This may have been posted before but an interesting video nonetheless and a refreshingly open and honest overview from a tuner.

Edit - posted by Guy Harding on an Australian Audi forum.

Great film! That man is a magician...

I have an TTE450+ forsale at the moment if interest give me a pm

I think 470bhp from a hybrid is about as far as you can go without having to sacrifice too much.
I hope I'm wrong of course.

Though this silence from these big turbo sellers is starting to get a bit odd isn't it?

HGP has a kit of 480hp , do you know which turbo are they using?

I am looking at this kit because in 1 year warranty will finish as the S3 will reach if everything goes well the 150.000km mark.

Do you think this kit will be ok for track use?

thanks!

HGP has a kit of 480hp , do you know which turbo are they using?

I am looking at this kit because in 1 year warranty will finish as the S3 will reach if everything goes well the 150.000km mark.

Do you think this kit will be ok for track use?

thanks!
This kit is pretty aggressive. Requires some other quite serious modifications, for example for their top end, 480PS (472hp) tune, your going to need some serious gearbox upgrades for both manual (uprated clutch) and DSG (additional friction discs needed, not included in price of kit). They make some pretty massive induction and exhaust changes with oversized pipes before and after the turbo charger (downpipe, larger diameter exhaust etc) and an overhaul of the ECU and TCU software. Not sure on what replacement turbo they supply, looks like you need to contact them for more information.

GPS times quoted aren't bad but I've seen one from a Golf R quoted at 2.98 GPS. Was posted here a while back or at one of the VW sites, had less modifications than this kit proposes. They also offer a brake and suspension upgrade (additional cost!!) which would make track use a much better experience. Not sure if suspension provided is a coilover replacement or just springs, if it's the latter, maybe the above is not as relevant.

If you want a fun track day car then you need to think about your cars suspension geometry just as much as you think about the engine. The S3 doesn't have great damping on the stock setup (mag ride), so a coilover replacement would be a good place to start, get an adjustable set and your good to go. If you want to go all the way, replace your bushings and control arms with improved aftermarket replacements from people like SuperPro and get a decent 4wheel alignment!

Last edited:
Reactions: PanamaS3 and S3Alex
I think 470bhp from a hybrid is about as far as you can go without having to sacrifice too much.

Though this silence from these big turbo sellers is starting to get a bit odd isn't it?

Did you mean APR?

If this turns out anything like previous experience with big turbo kits,it does take a long time to develop,test and release a properly designed kit.
Their GTX kit for the 8P is well thought out and put together,if a bit pricey for what it is.

It did however take years to reach the 8P scene,and few others wanted to dip their toes in the water prior to that.
ATP Turbo and BSH(pretty much gone now) produced kits early on,but I think the thing that will hold back real big turbo kits is the integrated exhaust manifold.

Many of TTE's turbos are used on high power applications on the bigger RS cars,so I don't see power being too much of an issue from a big enough hybrid,assuming the compressor and exhaust flow is up to the task,and TTE seem well up to that.

Your big drawback with a really big turbo(besides the engine build) is retaining some degree of low throttle/low rpm driveability,and of course off boost response,and that trade off is what a number of people find difficult.

Mine for instance will get around town etc quite happily at anywhere below 3000 rpm and will do so without spluttering or hesitation,but the step from 4000 rpm up is enormous.

Personally,I'd say that 450-470bhp will keep most people very happy,without all the baggage of engine builds and a ton of aftermarket electronics.

Reactions: PanamaS3
Did you mean APR?

If this turns out anything like previous experience with big turbo kits,it does take a long time to develop,test and release a properly designed kit.
Their GTX kit for the 8P is well thought out and put together,if a bit pricey for what it is.

It did however take years to reach the 8P scene,and few others wanted to dip their toes in the water prior to that.
ATP Turbo and BSH(pretty much gone now) produced kits early on,but I think the thing that will hold back real big turbo kits is the integrated exhaust manifold.

Many of TTE's turbos are used on high power applications on the bigger RS cars,so I don't see power being too much of an issue from a big enough hybrid,assuming the compressor and exhaust flow is up to the task,and TTE seem well up to that.

Your big drawback with a really big turbo(besides the engine build) is retaining some degree of low throttle/low rpm driveability,and of course off boost response,and that trade off is what a number of people find difficult.

Mine for instance will get around town etc quite happily at anywhere below 3000 rpm and will do so without spluttering or hesitation,but the step from 4000 rpm up is enormous.

Personally,I'd say that 450-470bhp will keep most people very happy,without all the baggage of engine builds and a ton of aftermarket electronics.

Not APR ;-)

Not APR ;-)

LOL...thanks.

There are so many companies saying they'll do this and that thing that it's difficult to keep track!
Over in the 8P world we found all the major ones took an age to get things together,and the quality of the stuff released by some of the smaller ones was a bit iffy.

If you guys could persuade Nortech to do something for you,I think you'd be onto a winner.

This is their 8P/Golf R kit,and obviously includes a manifold,but that's another thing altogether....

Reactions: Wondering Soul

Your wrong

If the results are positive, you'd think he'd want to post them as soon as possible.

We are not just posting a dyno.. But editing a video this takes time.

Sounds like this is going to be some video then!

Well it takes time to get the footage you need.

We are not a big company and is first time we tried to do something like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanamaS3 and S3Alex
And you will be by quite some margin, sit tight.

That's news worth having.
I've never known Simon to turn out claims that aren't substantiated,so it will be worth waiting for.

That's news worth having.
I've never known Simon to turn out claims that aren't substantiated,so it will be worth waiting for.
But a dyno will be sufficient for now ...
A video takes time and can always be added to their promotion