8V S3 Tuning Thread

As of yesterday, my S3 now has APR's Stage 1 tune...

Mind = blown. Amazing. Am now selling Milltek and intake as I'm more than happy with Stage 1.

If you're thinking about it, do it; completely transforms the car.

Reactions: TahirS, J6YAK and RYuill
GIAC will be released in the next two weeks, with a Stage 2 at the same time.

I've personally decided to hold off on the Revo, and you couldn't pay me to go with APR.

Reactions: xssiiv
GIAC will be released in the next two weeks, with a Stage 2 at the same time.

I've personally decided to hold off on the Revo, and you couldn't pay me to go with APR.

Can I ask why you're so anti the APR map?

Thanks

How many pages can my reply be? ;)

That bad?

A brief sum up would do, I've been putting off making a final decision on which map to go with as APR is imminent, so I'd be really grateful for any input, good or bad.

How many pages can my reply be? ;)

That bad? ⚠

A brief sum up would do, I've been putting off making a final decision on which map to go with as APR is imminent, so I'd be really grateful for any input, good or bad.

That bad? ⚠

Look don't let me try and take you away from what might likely be a very good tune. I just have a great hatred for the arrogance and rudeness of the local APR distributor that we have in Australia and refuse to give a red cent of my money. I have no clue what your local reps are like where you are. They may be good. But here? Biggest a$$ I've ever met.

Look don't let me try and take you away from what might likely be a very good tune. I just have a great hatred for the arrogance and rudeness of the local APR distributor that we have in Australia and refuse to give a red cent of my money. I have no clue what your local reps are like where you are. They may be good. But here? Biggest a$$ I've ever met.

Ha ha. Got you, know a couple of bell ends like that myself, one local guy in particular.

Cheers Con:D

I got mine from Carl at Volkspower in Burwood, Victoria and he was the nicest guy I've ever met in motoring.

And the tune brings a bigger smile to my face than the Stage 2 I had on my MKVI Golf R

Aren't all S3's Quattro? Shouldn't this be tested on a 4WD dyno and why aren't the rear wheels moving?

As previous had pointed, that's a Haldex. Thus the plug of the haldex controller can be out and disable the rear unit. Than it's like a front wheel drive.

I got mine from Carl at Volkspower in Burwood, Victoria and he was the nicest guy I've ever met in motoring.

And the tune brings a bigger smile to my face than the Stage 2 I had on my MKVI Golf R

He's just a reseller. Meet the head of APR in Oz and then let me know what you think ;)

Can someone give me a brief sum up of remap/tuning box options available. The DTUK seemed good, now there's the remaps from revo and unicorn Motorsport....which is the one to have?

James

As of yesterday, my S3 now has APR's Stage 1 tune...

Mind = blown. Amazing. Am now selling Milltek and intake as I'm more than happy with Stage 1.

If you're thinking about it, do it; completely transforms the car.

where are you located?

335 whp daaaaaamn good numbers! taking a 15% loss factor we're talking about 385 bhp.. not bad for a Stage 1!

Stage 2 should easily achieve 400 bhp ... and some water/meth in the equation.. ooooh my just love that engine!

Reactions: TahirS and RYuill
335 whp daaaaaamn good numbers! taking a 15% loss factor we're talking about 385 bhp.. not bad for a Stage 1!

Stage 2 should easily achieve 400 bhp ... and some water/meth in the equation.. ooooh my just love that engine!

How much more there is to come is going to depend on factors like the turbo's compressor and turbine maps,and then the capacity of the stock in-tank fuel pump(which in fariness should be OK,as the 8P pump would get to around 440bhp),plus how the EGTs go at that sort of power.

WMI will help in keeping intake and EGTs down,but the turbo is going to become the limiting factor,albeit at a higher bhp than the old K04 would manage.

How much more there is to come is going to depend on factors like the turbo's compressor and turbine maps,and then the capacity of the stock in-tank fuel pump(which in fariness should be OK,as the 8P pump would get to around 440bhp),plus how the EGTs go at that sort of power.

WMI will help in keeping intake and EGTs down,but the turbo is going to become the limiting factor,albeit at a higher bhp than the old K04 would manage.

Yup, agree. But as we're seeing, this turbo flows better than a K04 and the engine has a better thermal management system, helping with engine temps also.

I guess 2015 will show us this engine capabilities as tuners continue development and more and more aftermarket parts hit the market.

Cheers

Yup, agree. But as we're seeing, this turbo flows better than a K04 and the engine has a better thermal management system, helping with engine temps also.

I guess 2015 will show us this engine capabilities as tuners continue development and more and more aftermarket parts hit the market.

Cheers

The thermal management system is good,but aimed at emission and efficiency,so I'm not sure how it will stack up with releasing extra performance.

The turbo has a better overall map than the K04 but as you know,it will hit the limits of it's map sooner or later,and to fit bigger turbos will require either the hybrid market to step in,or a whole new manifold,plus turbo.

I think you guys are in the situation that the 8P was in a few yrs ago,and it will depend on how much development and money the bigger players such as Revo and APR are willing to spend to take it much further.

The thermal management system is good,but aimed at emission and efficiency,so I'm not sure how it will stack up with releasing extra performance.

The turbo has a better overall map than the K04 but as you know,it will hit the limits of it's map sooner or later,and to fit bigger turbos will require either the hybrid market to step in,or a whole new manifold,plus turbo.

I think you guys are in the situation that the 8P was in a few yrs ago,and it will depend on how much development and money the bigger players such as Revo and APR are willing to spend to take it much further.

Yeah totally, eventually we will know the limits of the turbo's compressor map, but we are one step up compared to 8P S3 that's for sure, and that are just great news for the tuning enthusiast like us :)

Yeah totally, eventually we will know the limits of the turbo's compressor map, but we are one step up compared to 8P S3 that's for sure, and that are just great news for the tuning enthusiast like us :)

I totally agree.....the map is already out there if you know the model number of the turbo,but I can't remember exactly which one it was.

I think your starting point is better,but the road to getting a LOT of power out of it may be more difficult,and this is a trend that seems to continue with every model transition.

We've seen various levels of ECU encryption,and then hardware changes such as integrated manifolds,which make tuning more difficult,and APR didn't even bother with a big turbo option for the previous RS3,having had enough costs etc bringing the £13k kit for the TT-RS to market.

If you can get into the low-mid 400s on the stock turbo that would be enough for most I guess,and I hope someone does that.

What are unicorns prices? Where can they be found?

Why is this your conclusion ?

With normal turbo 400 seems not reachable. No tuner has gone beyond 395 pk .....

Have a look at the compressor maps for the turbo that Veeight mentioned above.

What I'm talking about is the ragged edge of what the turbo could do,not what is actually being achieved currently,as this was the nub of what was being discussed above.
The old K04 will struggle at around 380bhp,and the current IHI derived turbo should manage a bit more.

Reactions: veeeight
Maps cannot overcome mechanical limitations of the turbo.

If you want reliability from a 400bhp+ setup, you need to start changing major components.

Sure you can force it to perform beyond the limits, or work it at the limits, but that's not very clever.

Reactions: lucas-suisse and S3Alex
Maps cannot overcome mechanical limitations of the turbo.

If you want reliability from a 400bhp+ setup, you need to start changing major components.

Sure you can force it to perform beyond the limits, or work it at the limits, but that's not very clever.

yes, totally agree, my GUESS is that with full bolts on and WAI we can see 410-415 bhp figures, no more.

Major components? Such as internals? I think at 400 bhp they are safe, and fueling is also capable.

Do you happen to have the compressor map?

Major components as in Big Turbo! ;)

But as Rick said above, this is problematic because of the integrated manifold within the head.

Also - the cylinder walls are very thin on this engine, so we have additional mechanical and thermal stress points.

Compressor map - not one specific to this turbo, but one on which this turbo is based. RHF4.

Reactions: TahirS and S3Alex

But as Rick said above, this is problematic because of the integrated manifold within the head.

Also - the cylinder walls are very thin on this engine, so we have additional mechanical and thermal stress points.

Compressor map - not one specific to this turbo, but one on which this turbo is based. RHF4.

Yes, agree to all you've said.

At what hp figure does the RHF4 is maxxing out?

Hi guys just picked up my new s3 on Monday was told by my salesman that can get mods by richtersport running along side abt that won't voide my warranty they say can achieve 400 bhp, 480nm with a remap and exhaust costing around 2.5k Has anyone had or got anything done by them before any feedback would be great thanx .

Reactions: TahirS
It is true, in Germany, although I think ABT UK are also covering themselves with a 2 year third party warranty, with a capped liability, incase Audi UK refuse to honour the manufacturers warranty.

So very similar to MTM Cantronic.

The "friendly" Audi dealer may well be Bath Audi ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas-suisse

Absolutely right.

As I'd said before,a compressor map is all very well in determing the ragged edge of what's possible,but it doesn't mean that it can be done,or even should be done,in the interests of long term reliability.

The "old" TFSi was good for 440bhp/440lbs before needing any major internal work,but of course didn't have the problem of an integrated head/manifold design.

Thin wall cylinder block castings may have a potential issue,but I think the days of worrying about bore flex are probably gone,unless you're running a LOT of boost,but what you guys really need,as we did with the previous version of this engine,is for a tuner to do the work,and hopefully not blow up someone's engine in the process....like that Golf R.

Reactions: elpaulio and veeeight