8V S3 Tuning Thread

To each its own... some people is willing to '**** their warranty' to get a PROPER tune of their engine, with no risk. To do horsepower the proper way, the way to go is a remap.

As I stated, there are pros and cons in this game.. for me the choice is easy.

I think its the manner in which you skin the cat that's important.

It looks like some tuning boxes just spoof boost, so in effect, just obtains the increase in performance simply by increasing turbo boost. Sometimes this has knock on effects, for example, snapping the throttle plate shut may cause compressor surge etc., or drivability issues are certain loads or speeds.

The MTM box and harness looks to be connecting more sensors, so potentially this is a more sophisticated box, but without the details I can't say for sure.

A true ECU remap can/should be a more sophisticated solution, where you can vary many more parameters, eg: fuelling, ignition timing, injector duration etc. so is seen as less of a sledgehammer approach than just keeping more boost in.

This.

I think its the manner in which you skin the cat that's important.

It looks like some tuning boxes just spoof boost, so in effect, just obtains the increase in performance simply by increasing turbo boost. Sometimes this has knock on effects, for example, snapping the throttle plate shut may cause compressor surge etc., or drivability issues are certain loads or speeds.

The MTM box and harness looks to be connecting more sensors, so potentially this is a more sophisticated box, but without the details I can't say for sure.

A true ECU remap can/should be a more sophisticated solution, where you can vary many more parameters, eg: fuelling, ignition timing, injector duration etc. so is seen as less of a sledgehammer approach than just keeping more boost in.

Ask Scott, he's had his for months

Veeeight/ Jasso86 - thanks for this, I now see the balance. I guess as many have alluded to - its what youre comfortable with I suppose.

TBH, I spend my dollar with MTM as I trust them and know they have huge backing and a lot of goodwill to protect. I know they were the factory rally team/ audi partner of choice back in the day of Group B when they done all the mapping and fuelling of the mighty S1's!

The MTM-Cantronic appears and is reputedlty very sophisticated with respect to others; Its not just overboosting. It has a cold oil temp soft limiter, removes the 155mph limiter and, well....comes with a MTM pen and badge and inner ful cap sticker :)

Reactions: veeeight
Agreed, MTM is a very reputable brand. I think you make a right choice talking about tuning boxes, as MTM considered more sensors (variables) to recalibrate values.

Regards,

Loving those wheels mate..they look stunning.
Are they 19's? Where did you get them From and how much if you don't mind me asking.
Think they would look great on my Estoril blue S3 with black pack and privacy glass.

I got my new wheels a couple of weeks ago and didn't have time to take pictures! Finally I have one that I can share with you guys!

Love those wheels..awesome.
Where did you get them from and how much if you don't mind me asking

Sweet!

We finally got a chance to put project UA30 on the rollers. These numbers are from a Dynojet 248awd dyno, 93 octane file, 80* ambient temp - 272awhp, 319awtq:

UA30_Rollers.jpg

UA30_Stage1_Dyno.jpg

I see the APR intake but what other mods is on that S3?

Last edited:
Given that Dynojet rollers are notoriously generous for AWHP figures, 272 seems very low for a Stage 1 + Intake.

I really have to question that dyno.

Stock 2.0T from the US is 220 hp. Take off drivetrain loss...let's be safe and say 20%? That's 175ish atw.

An intake and a flash tune has netted the car +100 hp atw? Sorry, but I can hardly believe that, unless it's running at 30 psi.

Last edited:
Given that Dynojet rollers are notoriously generous for AWHP figures, 272 seems very low for a Stage 1 + Intake.

You think? with a 20% loss we are talking of 326 bhp... from a 220 hp stock car.. I don't think those are low numbers...

Last edited:
I really have to question that dyno.

Stock 2.0T from the US is 220 hp. Take off drivetrain loss...let's be safe and say 20%? That's 175ish atw.

An intake and a flash tune has netted the car +100 hp atw? Sorry, but I can hardly believe that, unless it's running at 30 psi.

You have to remember this is a new engine... more efficient, bigger turbo...

There are already several dyno charts throwing those numbers... 320-350 bhp depending on fuel quality is what they are getting.

As incredible as it might seem.. this is the new reality of 3rd gen engine... wich is good for us, the consumers.

Your beloved Revo technik is getting 310-320 bhp also...

You have to remember this is a new engine... more efficient, bigger turbo...

There are already several dyno charts throwing those numbers... 320-350 bhp depending on fuel quality is what they are getting.

As incredible as it might seem.. this is the new ereality of 3rd gen engine... wich is good for us, the consumers.

Your beloved Revo technik is getting 310-320 bhp also...

a. Like I said, you can put those numbers out at 30psi. You want to run that on your stock fuel pump? Be my guest and watch it blow. No way can you sustain those numbers, and no way will a tuner release that to the public. Just because they're getting those numbers on a dyno during testing, don't think for a second that it will be released like that. Take a large chunk of that off that to ensure they don't need to carry any liability when your engine blows.
b. My beloved Revo? Huh? I've never run their tune in my life.

Sorry, I still do not buy that much of a gain on the A3 2.0T, which btw, is not using the same turbo as the S3.

I really don't understand the point of arguing about speculation... this isn't even our engine!

APR and Revo are both very close to releasing their consumer ready S3 tunes, just be patient...

a. Like I said, you can put those numbers out at 30psi. You want to run that on your stock fuel pump? Be my guest and watch it blow. No way can you sustain those numbers, and no way will a tuner release that to the public. Just because they're getting those numbers on a dyno during testing, don't think for a second that it will be released like that. Take a large chunk of that off that to ensure they don't need to carry any liability when your engine blows.
b. My beloved Revo? Huh? I've never run their tune in my life.

Sorry, I still do not buy that much of a gain on the A3 2.0T, which btw, is not using the same turbo as the S3.

A) Just to clearify, Im no APR dealer, im just a tuning enthusiast as many. Fueling is just fine, even the 2nd gen EA2888 engines manged fueling up to 450 hp... A friend of mine has a MK6 GTI, and is running a Frankenturbo F23 capable of 350 whp (google it) with stock fueling... he's running it with no problem on a custom file.

For the record, THAT IS the final Stage 1 APR tune being sold already (at least in US and Mexico)... that is no testing run, that's Black Forest Industrie's project/development car checking it's car numbers... Is a very reputable company in America.

Bro, if you are not in vwvortex, you will not know the news regardin ECU tuning... just because UK tuners havent done anything, doesnt mean the world hasn't either... keep up bro. ;)

B) I implied you were from UK, and UK people tend to love REVO and attack APR...

I know this is not the S3 engine nor the turbo.. is just to show the capabilities of this engine, and the potential the S3'S has. You can think what you want and I respect that.

Regards

Last edited:
APR and Revo are both very close to releasing their consumer ready S3 tunes, just be patient...

I spoke to APR yesterday who confirmed that they've hit a snag with the S3 tune and it's going to be a few months off yet. The Golf R and S3 are using different ECU's. The guys have cracked and mastered the Golf R ECU (SIMOS18) but not the S3 (SIMOS12)

Not sure where revo are with things but guess they'll be in the same boat. One of these things I suppose, the masses have the Golf R so I guess that's where they're concentrating their efforts.

This year, who knows?

A few months!?! :(

The quote was ''software is going to be a while'' - Then the reasoning as to the delay due to the software engineers having to learn the S3 ECU.

I've just personally stated a few months as I know how much development work APR put in in the background, testing, re-calibrating, testing, running beta files, testing re-calibrating and then commercial release. I'm sure APR wont mind me releasing that, they were honest and upfront and fair enough, Golf R and S3 are completely different ECU wise. For me personally, I'm happy enough to wait until it is mastered as I have a stop gap solution in place for now with the tuning box, I'll get the stage 2 bits added in the meantime and when a map is eventually released, it will be a good cross over to stage 2. For you guys running around with standard horsepower though, yes, could be a little frustrating.

Last edited:
How is your motor running on the FSR Tuning Box Leo? Collecting my S3 Saloon early October and looking to have the box from Andrew (DTUK) fitted almost immediately. Will be running the car every day to and from the station putting about 12000 miles per year on it. Just wanted to see if you had experienced any issues with the box at all?

Stock like, not one hiccup or fart, very smooth, quite a bit more punch up top, more free revving. Not one complaint to be fair. Fuel economy is pretty much the same, still easy enough to get 40mpg on a run.

Cheers for the info pal...

Have you got any other mods on your S3? Was looking at the GNJ Motorsport spacers (15mm front and 20mm rear) along with the H&R Springs (20mm)...

Cheers for the info pal...

Have you got any other mods on your S3? Was looking at the GNJ Motorsport spacers (15mm front and 20mm rear) along with the H&R Springs (20mm)...

No other mods for now but wont be too long before I get the intake/exhaust and intercooler sorted out. Not really convinced with the Forge FMIC offering personally. All their testing was on a 230bhp standard Golf Mk7, not a 380-400bhp S3/Golf R. On my last car, Forge brought out an intercooler for the TTRS that was on a par if not worse than stock so would prefer to wait until others are out tried and tested before going down the intercooler path. Intake, ill probably go with the APR unit and exhaust, not sure yet.

Good thinking Batman...let others trial first before sticking it on your own motor. Feedback seems good on the tuning box then :) I will be placing my order on September 1st (payday haha)...

Cheers lads!

Yeh spoke to him regarding this last week. Number 5 on the list my friend :) Just wanted some feedback from those running it before I parted with my 'hard' earned cash...think I am pretty much sold on this now.

Gave the misses the old 'but it improves mpg, saving us fuel etc...' chat and now she keeps asking when can we order it haha! We don't even have the car yet...

Reactions: J6YAK, RYuill and illingworth22
Just change my wheels, If they look familiar, i trade the OEM´s with a friend here in Peru that bought this set.

BBS XA 19"
IMG 0584

Reactions: RAPS3
Just received my MTM kit for my S3 8V S-Tronic (300 => 360HP, 380 => 450 Nm).
Install took about 10 minutes and was really very easy.
Waiting for the current heavy fog to disapear and I'll go to give a try !!!
Will report back shortly.

Just a polite question, are all those that are increasing the performance telling their insurers? If so what sort of premium increase are they seeing. As I could be tempted.
If you're not telling them bit of a risk isn't it?

I spoke with Audi Switzerland and they told me that about only 1/3 of people who increease performances are updating their insurance and car identity doc. Just for info.

Brings back memories of the guy who owned a cupra R that was tuned with an 'invisible' tune.
Engine went pop and seat decided they would dig a bit deeper than usual and get the ECU on the test bench for testing, when the tune was discovered SEAT knowing the car was on finance demanded a full cheque for the outstanding amount for the car then and there

Reactions: S3Alex
Who knows.....maybe things are different in Switzerland,but over here,insurers and manufacturers are very aware of this,and will invalidate your insurance or warranty any way they can.

Not telling them is simply inviting them to do so.

Reactions: veeeight