8v Gear Knob onto 8P - Manual

Dubjam

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Solutions
Reaction score
Anyone done this?

Tempted but dont want to ruin quite an expensive part...others more talented may of done it before me who could offer some advice :)

would love to know if this is possible as been thinking of doing the same!

im interested to know too. if anyone have 8V gearknob, we can measure the inner diameter to confirm on the fitment. should look the same.

Haha someone has to take the plunge.....im too poor. :)

No one has to take the plunge as its already been done, on these here forums. Cant remember the name of the user that done it but its been done.

No one has to take the plunge as its already been done, on these here forums. Cant remember the name of the user that done it but its been done.

Seen the Auto gear knob change, but not a manual one

Thanks buddy, looks like its the A1 knob and gaiter to go for and not the 8V one according to the chap..

Cheers, nearly bought the 8v one, saved me a few quid there!

Reactions: s3_trev
No worries dude! But I think I asked someone on here at one stage and they told me the A1 one and the A3 8V one are just the same? Not 100% sure tbh mate.

Turns out the knob is the same, but the gaitor is different, so an A1 knob and gaiter is direct fit the 8v one will need modifying..so A1 gear knob it is :)

Cheers again fella

You're welcome! I may use this information myself at some stage and make the conversion :redrs4:

Reactions: Dubjam
Can anyone provide an exact part number for the A1 gear knob with white stitching, and for the A1 gear knob with red stitching?

For anyone interested, the part number has actually changed from the one of the link above.

It is now 8X0 863 278 Q QQX for black stitching

Around £96+VAT.

If anyone has a trade card or an account, please let me know, as I would like to buy one but with the dreaded its pretty pricey, so if anyone fancies doing me a favour, it would be REALLY appreciated :)

Last edited:
A1 5-speed gearbox (production 06/12 - 11/12): 8X0863278H -QQX (gaiter in black with black stitching) -XBA (gaiter in black leather with silver stitching) -ZDP (gaiter in black leather with alabaster white stitching)

A1 5-speed gearbox (production 12/12 - ): 8X0863278R -QQX (gaiter in black with black stitching) -XBA (gaiter in black leather with silver stitching) -ZDP (gaiter in black leather with alabaster white stitching)

A1 6-speed gearbox (production 03/12 - 11/12): 8X0863278J -HVI (gaiter in black with red stitching), -QQX (gaiter in black with black stitching) -XBA (gaiter in black leather with silver stitching) -ZDP (gaiter in black leather with alabaster white stitching)

A1 6-speed gearbox (production 12/12 - ): 8X0863278Q -QQX (gaiter in black with black stitching) -XBA (gaiter in black leather with silver stitching) -ZDP (gaiter in black leather with alabaster white stitching)

Nope, as I said, they have changed. I listed the correct one above for the black stitch...

They replaced the J with the Q

Nope, as I said, they have changed. I listed the correct one above for the black stitch...

They replaced the J with the Q

The new one you posted is the same as the one from the links I posted though? The 6 speed black with black stitching?

Ah I take it back, yes you are right, the original part number had a J, but that has changed to a Q now, but you numbers where correct,, I evidently did a man read :)