8P2 Head unit upgrade from Sypmhony II (I have been through FAQ, Stickies and search)

VAG_HAG

Reaction score
Hello, I joined a few hours ago and just like to say what a great site you have created, the FAQ’s and Stickys have answered so many questions I didn't know I had! Although not this one……….
I have been searching to find an answer to my conundrum. I have come close - there are a lot of related topics but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer. So with the possibility of annoying the regulars only to find this has been answered previously here goes;
I have a 2005 2.0 tdi SE sportback registered in April 2005 (8P2) it is currently fitted with the stereo below (Symphony II (+?);
symphony2.jpg

I have a similar head unit in my 2005 Passat, in so much as it has the tape player still in it (WHY) it annoys me in that and even more so in the A3 as it is a much more modern and design friendly place to be only with a nod to the 80’s staring me right in the face!
I would like to change it for any AUDI OEM head unit that doesn’t have a tape player. I don’t mind if it is not mp3, I do not mind if it is not a 6 disc changer. I don’t mind if it doesn’t have an aux for ipod – I would just like a cd player and radio with no tape – the other options would be a bonus. I do have a Bose upgrade and would like to keep that if possible.
I do not want to fit an after market head unit or upgrade to RNS-E or have to change aerials, boosters and amplifiers – I have learnt a lot whilst trawling the FAQ’s and Stickys - I didn’t even know what they were a few hours ago.
Anyway I would just love to know which other head Audi Oem units will plug straight in and work that don’t have a tape deck – if the short answer is “none” then a solution that involves the minimal amount of cable adapting would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation
Ian

Welcome along Ian. Firstly, well done for finding the FAQ's, most people don't even get that far!

Simply put, there is no solution. Thats a lie, there is, but you're not going to like it.

The radio you have installed changed in 2007 to this:

images

Looks great doesnt it?

Unfortunately though, it uses a different ariel system to what your A3 has installed... and since you dont want to change any of that, then its a no go. You also need to change some wiring as well for it to power up properly.

So you're stuck to having a radio pre-2007. Unfortunately though the only 'Double DIN' radios are the Symphony II and the RNS-E.

To anwer you question... without upgrading to the RNS-E and to eliminate the tape-deck, your only option is the Concert, but to even install that you need to get a single DIN cage, so even that seems then like its a no go...

images

Just get an RNS-E :)

Hi Ian

Thanks for the rear of the unit pic, I was trying to get my stereo out to recon for a iPod adapter box but how the F did you get it out, I think I have the same keys as you? I pushed them in to the click and with the flat side of the key to the outside but it wont come out!!

Thanks

Alex

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - and yes it looks very nice - just what i want!!

oh dear, it is as i had feared - i do like the look of the RNS-E, theres no getting away from it - its a good looking bit of kit buth they are pricey and i would never justify the cost as it will never be used.

not wishing to question your comprehensive knowledge but i have been looking through ebay nad ther are other double din non tape head units that have apparently come from a pre 2007 A3

Model No: 815 7 647 253 380.
Part Number: 8P0 035 186 G
Audi Concert
$(KGrHqYOKjoE0,VHIs6FBNZFP!vlog~~_12.JPG

Hi Alex, glad i could be of help on my first post. I got my keys off ebay for £1.30 after spending over £10 on 1 pair from vw for my passat, so i figured 4 keys from Audi would be £30+

I dont know wether you have genuine Audi keys or cheapo ones like mine but i just pushed them in as far as they would go and gave it a fair tug and pulld it out - fairly simple i thought. That is until you try and release the keys whilst the head unit is out to re fit it. They would not come out at all - turns out you have to push the retaining clips (the very retaining clips release keys push inwards) in even more to the chassis of the head unit - it looks like they are already touching but they do move an extra mm or 2 - enough to allow the notches in the keys to move around the clips - took me a few head scratches to work it out but probably just the cheap keys!

Ive attached some better res images for you too.

April2011007.jpg

April2011012.jpg

Strange, the change certainy occured in 2007..

Regardless, the new stereo has a Quadlock adapter at the rear whereas your Symphony II has standard ISO connectors. It is the quadlock connectors that are the telltale signs that the newer ariel system is used.*

*excluding the RNS-E. The RNS-E has a quadlock connector but uses the older ariel system, which would mean plug&play for your A3.

thanks - so to recap my car will only fit ISO connectors - I have 2 (one block for Earth, Live & Ignition? and the other for speakers?) Then I have a standard traditional aerial coupling (Din?) and then a light brown weird plug - whats that for?

So if i can find another Audi radio that isnt RNS-E or has a tape with that configuration and will fit in the hole I will be a happy man but it looks like the odds are stacked against me!

Incedently what are the other 2 blank block connectors on the back of the unit for?

and how much should i pay for an RNS-E - i read on a thread i searched that there are 2 versions, the newer having a better res screen and something else but they are a lot more money - dont i need DIS or something else for the sat nav to work, apparently i dont need a shark fin and the GPS module goes in the dash

Definately have to change it now, just plugged it all back in and it doesent even light up! No SAFE mode - nothing. Very strange, ill have a look tomo in the light.

You can buy quadlock adapters to make your ISO connectors into a quadlock, youd need this if installing the RNS-E.

The 2 empty blocks iirc are CD changer (external one) and Navigation (navigation by just voice, no screen).

For the older style RNSE, with the crappy resolution, but still a good nav I would pay around £350-£400. Newer nav with good reolution, about £500-£600.

On the subject of getting the Symphony out, when i did mine i found that after putting all 4 keys in its best to push the stereo out from the back. as i was installing some other stuff it was easy for me to take out the glove box and give it a push from behind... of course i found this out the hard way after pulling on hte keys for 2 hours causing my fingers to swell. :(

Yeah I have sore fingers and the f-ing thing will not move. The keys should not come back out according to guides I have read but when I pull on them then come out. I can't be bothered with this hassle id much rather change the car and find one with satnav, phone and iPod already in from the factory. Sounds dramatic but its ******* me right off.

Yeah I have sore fingers and the f-ing thing will not move. The keys should not come back out according to guides I have read but when I pull on them then come out. I can't be bothered with this hassle id much rather change the car and find one with satnav, phone and iPod already in from the factory. Sounds dramatic but its ******* me right off.

mate seriously just unscrew the glove box and give it a push from behind. its probably sitting in the cage nicely as its never been moved and has been there for a few years.

i have this in mine and want to put my Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB radio in, anyone know for definate what leads i would require as it
seems there is alot of options which is confusing and don't want to keep buying different leads or sending them back?
Also if i put the Pioneer in would the station be seen on the DIS ??? Cheers

Its an old post i know but seems logical to reply to this than create a new one,

To find out the exact set of cables you will need, take your head unit out and post a few photos of all the connectors - makes it easier to identify exactly what HU you have at the moment and what adapters you will need to buy.

The DIS does not work with aftermarket HUs out of the box. I heard that there are expensive adapters, but never seen one.

just double checking on this, my car is the 2003-2004 model will this still work as i know Audi changed a few bits from 2004

10924662_10153120657349924_2226200124099364245_o.jpg

bought this lead (left) and it does nt work with the pioneer avh-x3500dab lead shown right)!! any idea's why anyone??
The red connector at the botton left fits into one of the plugs on the cars wiring harness then there is one ISO connecter left which i plugged in but nothing no power etc :-(

So after asking all those questions you chose to ignore the advice given and buy some cheap cable that didn't work so you came back to ask why? Those cables are known to have wiring issues which is why I didn't advise it.

well tbh i was nt sure if i really wanted to put it in the car as was thinking of selling it and going for the RNs-e unit instead so thought i would give these a try and see if they work, which they should of
as they are the right ones looking at the description!!!!!!! Got the facia adapter which is perfect.

I never had good results with Autoleads. It's probably me, but Connects2 kits tend to be much better in my experience.

Reactions: Ash187
Had autoleads in the past and never had a problem, saw these and thought they would be ok, should of listened to ASH187 :-(