1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8P v 8V test drive

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Daveotto, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

Got a test drive in a new 1.4TFSI SB this morning and thought I would give a comparison against my current 1.4TFSI. Took both cars over the same circuit, 6-7 mies of dual carriageway and side streets in the rain

what I liked:

cabin does feel larger and more roomy, and ride height is slightly higher.
    materials of construction seen better and with better lines
    gearbox feels a bit more compact, don' t know if it is updated or my 3 year old one has loosened a little
    Overall ergonomics are easier with buttons and knobs more intuitive to find
    new model seemed a bit quicker, is it the weight lose or mine loosing a couple of BHP with age, and more responsive and only used auto on audi select.
    Overall new model is quieter, but means it picks up more road noise - it could be sports suspension and 17" wheels compared to standard suspension and 16" wheels.

what I did not like:

had to find one thing at least......rear view mirror is a bit small, I preferred the squarer version on older model as gave better visibility.

overall the new model is a real winner, can see why it won car of the year, and can't wait to get mine.

think I have made the right choice in deselecting the sports suspension as s line has 18" upgrades, so expect based on today's test drive the s line would pick up even more road noise, but still got a few weeks to change my mind based in new owners feedback in coming weeks.

Dave
  2. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I've seen a few comments about the smaller rear view mirror but I quite like it actually. When they loaned me an A4 this week it was like having a bathroom mirror hanging from the roof! :)
  3. hittchy

hittchy Member

I can live with that..... Being a typical Audi driver I don't need mirrors or indicators. :rock:
  4. daveb99

daveb99 Member

The BMW disease is spreading!
  5. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

Interesting, I've got the auto-dimming rear view mirror and the outline of it appears to perfectly 'match' the opening of the rear window, so I don't think I lose any rear visibility. It is tight mind you, so making sure it's adjusted correctly takes a bit of fiddling.