1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8P sportback rear light assembly replacement instructions

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by funkyr, Feb 7, 2013.

1. funkyr

funkyr New Member

I tried searching with no luck.

I'm after some step by step instructinos on how to replace the rear light assembly. I reversed into a pole and the exterior red plastic bit that covers the light bulbs cracked and I need to replace it. Anyone know a good link or instruction booklet?

Thanks!
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Open boot, look direct 90 degrees in corner & you should see a cap/insert about 2 inches wide that you can pop out from the left & right side trims, be careful not to drop it into the cavity or you'll be peed I can assure you.

Then undo the plastic nut with an extended 13mm socket with some bluetac on the end aswell to stick to the plastic nut, when its lose, turn by hand & when it appears to be undone fully, slowly pull out, taking care not to drop into the cavity, hence the bluetac.

Once plastic nuts out, you need to wiggle the light side to side & slowly prise of from the side of the car, as it has 2 ball joint type lugs that push into rubber grommets that are pushed into the quarters, get your fingers round edges of lense & prise away directly sideways, not towards the rear, slowly but surely they will pop of the sides.