8Ls at the Nurburgring (With Photos)

Westy

Reaction score
Had another great trip to the Nurburgring this weekend and the S3 was nearly perfect this year. Myself and "S3 Baby" went with an E36 M3 and a Honda Civic Type R 4 door import.

It looked a bit touch and go as to whether "S3 Baby" was even going to make it after his oil pump went causing his turbo to blow causing his intercoolers to go a week before. Then his power steering pump packed in 2 days before the trip and his alternator the night before!!! Luckily my mate who is a mechanic was able to fit a new alternator late Thursday night (finished at 2am) so he could go on Friday morning (5am)!

Since last years trip I have had my brakes sorted and a TIP fitted. The brakes were imense compared to the standard setup from last year. I had no fade what so ever and I could actually get the cars speed down before entering the corners, which is always nice.

I did plug in the laptop for one lap to monitor the ignition timing and the AITs. The ignition didn't pull any more than 3 on the 102 octane fuel I was running and the AITs were around 45 and a peak of 57 degrees so a FMIC will be on the car before my next trip.

S3 Baby has AP coilovers and R32 ARBs which made a huge difference over my standard setup and he would glide through a high speed corner where as I would understeer through it :racer:

Anyway here's a few pics. Mine is the Ming Blue one with black grill surround and S3 Baby's is the Black one:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nicely done. 1 month till Im there. How was the weather? Looks dry.

Fair camber on the other S3.

wow looks great! one day i have to go there hopefully with the S3!

I like these pics!

Any lap times to report chaps?

can't wait till I'm back there in 5 weeks!

I only did 3 laps as I don't like to temp fate too much plus the car had to get me home and to work today! I did a few passenger laps too so it's all good. We were recording times of around 10 mins, nothing special. The M3 was built specifically for the ring and my mate keeps it in a garage in Germany, he's capable of 8 min laps and hasn't been overtaken by another car in 3 years! He knows the track well though.

The weather was a bit nippy but we managed to avoid the rain which was good. I'm hoping to get back out there again in September if possible.

That dakar yellow M3, did he buy that recently?

a mate of mine recently sold a very similar looking dakar yellow M3 DRT.... previously covered in ADAC stickers

That dakar yellow M3, did he buy that recently?

a mate of mine recently sold a very similar looking dakar yellow M3 DRT.... previously covered in ADAC stickers

No mate he's had it for a few years. Bought it standard then spent a load of cash on brakes, suspension and roll cage to get it ready for the ring.

roll cages? lol, whats he planning on doing?

He gets round the ring very fast and his car is as fast as a GT3 RS. The roll cage is there incase he has a massive stack and it also stiffens up the chassis to improve handling. He built the car specifically for the ring so he doesn't mess about when he's on there, his best lap is an 8:04!

They were spot on. For a stage 1 S3 on standard suspension I had enough stopping power in a track situation so I was very pleased. I have however now noticed just how much brake dust the Ferrodo pads give off!

good to hear

They were spot on. For a stage 1 S3 on standard suspension I had enough stopping power in a track situation so I was very pleased. I have however now noticed just how much brake dust the Ferrodo pads give off!

thats good to hear...welcome to the dusty wheels club btw

should of got some ds3000s and joined the squeeky club. check all the photo sites for pics of you going round?

Yeah cool pictures mate,

And I may be a little biased but the dark grill on your S3 looks so much better than the Crome on the black :)

I wouldn't say no to the Honda either, think it looks awesome...

just looking at these pics makes me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous.

can't wait to get out there! so excited to see how laps are altered by having real brakes at last

should of got some ds3000s and joined the squeeky club. check all the photo sites for pics of you going round?

The M3 is running DS3000 as the heat he was generating through the AP 6pots was making the DS2500 crumble after 10 or more laps!

I did a quick check yesterday and only found a few pics which weren't as good as ours.

Yeah cool pictures mate,

And I may be a little biased but the dark grill on your S3 looks so much better than the Crome on the black :)

I wouldn't say no to the Honda either, think it looks awesome...

I know I was winding up my mate about his chrome grill. He will be getting it done soonish.

I hadn't ever seen another Honda like that on the roads and there was 4 of them at the ring, my mate wasn't impressed. There was only 3 8L S3s, they were one of the least common cars there.

just looking at these pics makes me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous.

can't wait to get out there! so excited to see how laps are altered by having real brakes at last

Brake will make a massive difference mate, it was like driving a different car on mine. I'm hoping to get back out there in september so I'll post up to see if anyone else wants to tag along.