1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8L front door speakers

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Effect, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Effect

Effect Member

[Mar 21, 2009]
    I have had for quite some time some Rainbow SL 'kick' speakers in my front doors.

Now bearing in mind they are attached to the door card I believe this to be giving me inferior sound and looking at the design of the door doesnt look like there is much I can do about this.

What I want to know is what I CAN do to improve the sound a bit

I used a plastic mounting ring which I have just read a post of Andy mac's saying that the plastic rings are pants and to use MDF rings.

Is there still room to mount the speakers if a thicker MDF spacer is used or does it make it a tight squeeze ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 1, 2014]

3. Darren4

Darren4 Member

[Mar 24, 2009]
    Have you actually got them in the door cards and tried them yet
  4. Effect

Effect Member

[Mar 31, 2009]
    Yeh I have had these speakers mounted on Plastic rings for about a year now.
    Just starting to think about how to improve the sound as much as possible :)
  5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 31, 2009]
    Stealth sub is a far better upgrade. However well you mount the front components, they are still basically flapping in semi-free air, mounted as they are. You'll never get decent sound from them, and depth is limited to about 54mm including the adapter rings, so MDF offers a slight improvement but at the cost of depth. Have you hotglued or siliconed round the plastic rings? They generally need sealing properly as they don't fit at all well.
  6. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer... VCDS Map User

[Mar 31, 2009]
    I got some of AndyMac's MDF adapters, they're good stuff.

Make sure you line the door cards and the metal panel behind the speakers with sound deadening material like Dynamat or similar. The difference in the sound just from this is huge, so might be worth giving this a go if you haven't done so already.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, then AndyMac's sub is the best way to improve sound without using up boot space for a sub enclosure.

A friend, who makes his own house music had a listen to his tracks in my car and now keeps asking me if he can use my car as a test for new tracks :)

It's a bit of a b**ch to fit if you never done it before, but well worth the effort.
  7. Effect

Effect Member

[Apr 1, 2009]
    I would have had an Andy Mac upgrade ages ago if I hadnt got a sub+ box left over from a previous car that no one would buy, So i just used that.

I havent hot glued around the plastic rings does that make much difference ?
    How much would you charge inc postage to sort me some MDF rings out andy ?

I will see if this months budget will stretch to a few sheets of dynamat then, I used £300 worth of the stuff in a 306 a few years ago and that made a huge difference although to be fair i did do the entire car with it.