1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8L double DIN conversion

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by neuro, May 22, 2009.

1. neuro

neuro New Member

Hi,

I've read a lot about doing double din conversions, but I havent seen one on a center console that looks like mine (below). I was wondering if doing the conversion would be possible here?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer...
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S3

I think it would be a custom job, since I'm not aware of any pre-facelift A3s having double-din stereos from factory.

4. neuro

neuro New Member

Oh well was hoping it would be more straight forward.
    Do you know what parts might fit? this is the only thing i've found on ebay so far.

5. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer...
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S3

Sorry mate, I couldn't say if this will fit. I have a double-din facelift S3 and that part looks like it's the same frame I have, but I never worked with a pre-facelift car to say if it will fit.

I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or not.

6. Zenin

Zenin Member

doesn't seem like theres space, maybe if there was a new custom dashboard part, which moved the hazard button up and smaller, along with the buttons either side, then it might jus squeeze in.

dont think theres a fascia panel for it yet.

7. neuro

neuro New Member

thanks for the reply, what I actually wanted to do was add a 7" touchscreen for a carputer, but as you said I guess the parts would have to be customised as I havent seen anything yet for this specifically.

8. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Yup, it would have to be a custom made double din, as if you look at the pic of your dash, there like a square bit with holes in it below the single din, that's part of the ClimateControl aswell, so it has to stay. I think someone in the past tried to fit a facelift centerconsole where the CC sits at the bottom to allow for double din, not too sure if they got it working, as I never followed the thread.

9. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group