8L 1.9TDI 130 vs 8P 2.0TDI 140

emzino

Reaction score
Hello.

Firstly I put 'vs' in the topic but I didn't mean it in a street race 1on1 kind of way.
I mean it in terms of performance such as speed, liftoff etc.

Now my initial though is that the 2.0TDI 140 is a more modern engine so it's obviously going to be better than the 1.9TDI 130 lump but i'm not quite convinced.

I have a doubt at the back of my mind that Audi have been too conservative with the 2.0TDI 140 and almost restricted it making the 1.9TDI 130 a much better engine.

Admittedly I am quite concious about the performance of the car so I want to make sure that I go for the one which can hold on for much longer.

So, am I right about Audi holding back the 2.0TDI against there older 1.9TDI or am I just being paranoid :keule:

Thanks in advance.

I think you may be being a touch paranoid!

I've currently got the 130PD engine, and I think it's a great engine, for a diesel. It's frugal, easy to maintain and has great torque characteristics.

But, I had the 140PD engine in my Golf V, and that was a great engine too! Although they're officially rated at 140ps, most people I've spoken to, and the rolling road figures I've seen, suggest they're nearer 150ps, which would explain why they feel quite quick on the road.

My 130PD is chipped, and it doesn't feel much quicker overall, if any, than the 140 golf I had. (My 130 is a quattro though so it's dragging a lot of extra weight around, but even so.)

The 140PD also responds well to tuning, and is a more modern engine. I don't think they held it back when it was designed as it was meant to be the mainstay diesel engine in the VAG range. Although there's now a 170ps version, its got substantial internal differences and different injectors etc to do so.

I think I know what he means by 'restricted' though.

I was quite surprised to find out the extra 100cc and 16 valves only resulted in another 10bhp over my 130bhp tdi.
I expected more.
I'd have thought 150bhp was a good starting point.
The 2.0tdi is definitely a 'revvier' unit though (if you can ever call a diesel revvy).
It needs to be stirred more than my 1.9tdi did,that's for sure.
Nowhere near the same low down torque as the 1.9tdi.
The 2.0tdi holds onto it's power at the top end better though.
In fact,my car still seems to be holding a good head of steam when it hits it's rev limiter,which is a tad annoying.
The 1.9tdi would have been wheezing by then.

There does seem to be a cost though.
I can't get anywhere near the same MPG as I did in my 1.9tdi.

bowfer said:
The 2.0tdi is definitely a 'revvier' unit though (if you can ever call a diesel revvy).
The 170 is better still, pulling well past 4k when the 140 is running out of puff at 3.5k. Makes an enormous difference to the way you drive as having over 2000rpm of usable shove in each gear means you can hang on to each one that much longer.

Vertigo1 said:
The 170 is better still, pulling well past 4k when the 140 is running out of puff at 3.5k.

My 140 doesn't run out of puff after 3.5K.
It's still pulling well after 4K.
That's why I find the DSG auto change-up so annoying.
I'm being robbed of revs.

Vertigo1 said:
The 170 is better still....

When I was given a 170 loaner the other day, I found it a huge improvement on the 140. It was much smoother and quieter, and had a much more usable progressive torque characteristic, very similar to the 2.0T actually.

I have the use of both a 140 & a 130 (the wifes) no doubt the 140 is quicker and more eager to rev, the 130 can feel quicker due to the way it delivers it's torque, I also agree that the 130 seems more fuel efficient but not by a great deal. Go for the 140 IMO as its the moderner equivalent.

The 1.9tdi must be a good bit more efficient than the 2.0tdi,as it's CO2 rating is a good bit lower.
Very low,in fact.

Aha. Well had a good read and think I got it that the 2.0TDI is a better engine all round.
I just had this hunch about the 1.9TDI being more punchier, ah well lol

If I could get the 170 I would but don't think there are any 2.0TDI 170's around the 11-13k mark.

Thanks alot guys! :)