85 coupe gt won't rev over 2000rpm

I

imported_Randy656

engine starts fine, idles fine, and drives fine but only revs to 2000 rpm, then cuts out like the rev limiter. I think something shuts down the fuel, not the spark. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks

Has it gone into limp mode? Sorry not really sure to be honest! Does your car have a limp mode?

Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
engine starts fine, idles fine, and drives fine but only revs to 2000 rpm, then cuts out like the rev limiter. I think something shuts down the fuel, not the spark. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

That era is either going to be mechanical injection, or k-tronic/jetronic...no limp mode. Sounds a bit odd. The spark plugs and leads all OK? What about the injectors? clean? maybe need replacing.

Rich

Thanks for the replies. The engine doesn't sound like its screaming at 2000rpm. I believe the CIS-E fuel injection control unit is bad and shutting off the fuel at 2000rpm thinking it's at it's rev limit. The engine doesn't sputter above 2000rpm it just shuts off the fuel and when the rpms go below 2000rpms the engine runs fine. Does anyone know of any other sensor or anything that could cause the fuel to shut off or that senses the wrong rpms? Am I on the wrong track? My next step is to replace the fuel injection control unit which is quite expensive.

You're distributor may have one of those rotor arms with the little spring on it that is designed to short out the spark above a certain rpm (using cetrifugal force). if this spring malfunctions/wears then it could activate earlier, thus causing your problems. This was an early form of rev limiter.
Try changing the rotor arm first?