1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

710N dump valve

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by bigshout, Jan 2, 2005.

1. bigshout

bigshout Member

[Jan 2, 2005]
    How many of you have upgraded to the latest OE dump valve the 710N and have you seen any difference in doing so. Where abouts is the DV located as well as I was thinking of doing this before I get my car remapped @ AMD.

[​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[Jan 2, 2005]
    upgraded mine, as have alot of us.

if you take the engine cover off, its over the back right hand corner of the engine bay as you look at it from the front.

4. imported_gek

imported_gek Guest

[Jan 3, 2005]
    Where is the best place to get these, preferably online?
  5. PaulRS3

[Jan 3, 2005]
    bought mine from Amd.
  6. bigshout

bigshout Member

[Jan 3, 2005]
    Paul did you get the audi version from AMD anmd how much did you pay? It might be easier for me just to get one from them.
  7. imported_gek

imported_gek Guest

[Jan 3, 2005]
    They have them on vagparts for £19 delivered.
  8. bigshout

bigshout Member

[Jan 3, 2005]
    yes but I'm down @ AMD on Friday and would like it for the remap.
  9. PaulRS3

[Jan 3, 2005]
    Ah i follow now.....

both my S3's have been new, ie a 2002, and 2003 S3's so come with Bosch 710N's anyway.

I swapped this out and bought an AmD Viper DV upgrade.

they are an anodised ally piston DV, which are serviceable.

10. bigshout

bigshout Member

[Jan 3, 2005]
    Paul, apart from the noise have you noticed any gain of smoothness in power with the new DV? What was your reasoning behind upgrading?
  11. PaulRS3

[Jan 3, 2005]
    noise difference - very little. Maybe every so slightly louder due to venting slightly larger amount(bigger body) mine you can hear alot more of the turbo noises now anyways due to the samco hoses.

performance - no difference.

most noticable difference - smoother gear changes. Yes you read that right, no mechanical conection, but does make gear changes smoother...

Reasons:

1.It was a GB, so got a discount.

2. Serviceable at my leisure. Any hint, it might be sticking, or passing, i can service it with 3 orings, and some grease.

3. Metal, over crappy plastic. (Feel how hot your DV hets standard. Guess what it might be liked remapped..

4. It is a piston valve, unlike the bosch Diaphragm valve.
    harder wearing, and i didnt like the Forge Diaphragm valves either as i had seen them fail. (Forge do pistons too, but i judt didnt fancy one at their increased cost at the time compared to the amd equivalent)

5. along with servicing/checking , as and when you please you can also shim it, or change the springs to change the charistics of how it opens and shuts.

I run a 3mm spacer or shim in mine. It keeps the DV shut longer and firmer, and when it does shut, it shuts it quicker hence keeps boost on that little bit more, by making the sping tension tighter
  12. tomost

tomost Member

[Jan 5, 2005]
    I changed mine cause the old one was knackered. Original on 47000 miles. I noticed a difference but again this was probabaly because it was needing replaced. This was on an A3 mind you so proabably different on your S3.

It cost £22.87 from my local Audi dealer.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

tomo.
  13. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

[Jan 6, 2005]
    If anyone wants a Forge one im selling mine £55 delivered! Its polished aluminium FMV006 as seen on forge website. PM me if interested.
  14. greytsport1

greytsport1 Member

[Jan 15, 2005]
    so how do you know if its failed/failing?
  15. Willber

Willber New Member

[Mar 29, 2008]
    If the standard valve has failed, it will make a fluttering noise, similar to 'wastegate chatter' rather than a quiet 'whoosh' noise. The car will be jerky between gear changes, due to the turbo needing to spool up as the broken DV will have let all the boost escape during the gear change.

I have changed mine this afternoon, it took 5 minutes to do, it's located at the top right underneath the engine cover (you can see it with it on however)

Un-do two jubilee clips and remove the vacuum hose from the top and it will come right off. I bought mine from VW as Audi didn't have any, it cost £25.

My car is loads better now, much smoother and seems to pull a bit harder too! :racer: