7 hours later.........

Mark_N

Reaction score
Started at 2pm finished at 9pm yesterday...arms were in bits.

Wash, clay, Swissol strong cleaner fluid (removes light scrapes and swirls), Swissol pre wax oil (another paint cleanser), Swissol Shield and there ya go...

Then it started drizzling!

clean.jpg

Very nice and clean....4x4!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Never used a clay bar yet, need to see what all the fuss is bout one of these days.

Please don't start...

Clay bars are pretty good...get rid of all the tar spots, insects, tree crap...paint is totally smooth afterwards. Just gotta make sure you keep on thumbing the bar to keep the surface fresh otherwise you'll scrape the paint.

That looks the business Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif, 7 hours!! And ten minutes of ****** Irish rain and its f.uked!! Done 4 hours cleanin mine on friday night cos I was goin to a wedding Sat mornin, got up Saturday morning and had to go into town to get a few things...... and it pi.ssed for two hours solid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Car looks great Mark, well done mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Impressive Mark.

Not quite as crisp as MB, but I take it yours is Ebony and not std. black !

gutted for you Mark, know how you feel, you have just got to imagine that the car is well protected under whatever is sitting on it now, and it makes it (almost ) all worthwhile.

Did you buy the swissol direct from them?

PS, Like the wheels

It's ebony yeh...

Bought the Swissol from a retailer for them on uk-mkivs...

Walked out to my car outside work last week, two guys having a smoke having a good gawk at the car and when I pressed the key to open the door
they stepped back a bit and said "we're just admiring your wheels"...Nothing like someone checking your car out and it doesn't annoy you the same way as when it happens to your bird !!

Looking very good Mark :d

I spent 7 hours today doing the inlaws Rover 75 but down south the weathers been boiling! Only gutting thing is I couldn't take my shirt off as I can't put sun tan lotion on back so I have a nice brown face and arms...

Top work Mark, those wheels are soo nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

I tell you what you do need tho Mark, a set of silver indicator bulbs for the rear, a subtle mod but it tidies up the rear lights.

J.

Interesting that one J...never thought of it.

Did you do it?

If you have a look at the picture of my rear lights you can see the silver bulb. Speak to me nicely and I'll even send you one of the spare sets I have sat in my garage if you like.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
that looks pretty sweet man, where did you get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, subtle but effective. Which make / details MB ?.

[ QUOTE ]

I have an incling that halfrauds may sell them as well.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was going to try my local Autoparts supplier first, as they were pretty cheap with my Osram Silverstars.

Yeh that looks good...was it hassle getting the light cluster off?

I wouldn't like to rob you of your bulbs though!!

Removing the rear lights is a doddle, theres a nut on the inside of the bot that you need to undo and then the rear lights pull off.

J.

Sorry - but imho you're all barking mad...deathbed scene "I should have spent more time cleaning the car..."

Each to thier own Steve, I don;t watch footy, cricket or rugby for example s wont be lieing on my death bed wishing someone or other had won the league! Plus it's a good excuse for me to be outside in the sun.

J.

Why spend all that money on a car if you couldn't be bothered to look after it...

Buy a Ka if that's the case.

This is reassuring to find a couple of people more obsessed with car cleanliness than myself, I have even overheard my neighbour say "..makes me tired just watching him..".
Hats off to you both MB & Mark N you have both done an A1 job on both cars, black is definetly the best colour on any car IMO but you gotta put the hard work in to keep it looking good - no more pics please as the green monster keeps appearing, I want some CH's......I wished mine was black....

Oh god it's contagious- just spent 3.5 hours trying to cut out bird crap marks from laquer - with some success. Then power washed it & Zymol-ed it - and buffed it with cheapo electric wotnot. Then noticed little lumpy bumpy things on paint- kamikaze bugs etc. Must get some of that Swissol stuff or claybar thingy - what's it called - now must log off to make appointment with local loony bin... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'm trying to figure out if you guys are serious with the time figures. 7 hours, 3.5 hours... I spend about an hour on mine and IMHO i think the results are as good as the rest. Can you get better results by spending more than an hour on your car???

sundaydrive03.jpg

Nelius, with all due respect your picture might seem like as good a job as MB and Mark_N but in reality it will be far from it. Run the back of your finger nails over your car and feel how 'gritty' it has become since new. I can assure you MB's and Mark's will be smooth as glass after claying and cleansing.

Also we get crappy weather compared to Germany which dosen't help the paints finish over the months.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to figure out if you guys are serious with the time figures. 7 hours, 3.5 hours... I spend about an hour on mine and IMHO i think the results are as good as the rest. Can you get better results by spending more than an hour on your car???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nelius,

Your car looks good but theres clean and then theres clean! To get a mirror finish without and swirls or those annoying little scratches in the paint you need to spend the time on them. But some people are rather more anal than others when it comes to car cleaning! I'm quite happy to spend 6 hours cleaning my car as it is my passion but my neighbours, wife, family and friends think I am mad!

SteveB looks like this car cleaning is catchin on, look on the bright side it's a good excuse to be out in the sun!

J.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you get better results by spending more than an hour on your car???

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno, when i get my nose out of the Zymol, i'll let you know... damn it smells fine!!!!
Can anyone guess what it smells like... i've figured it out (or wife did anyway)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

OK. So the answer seems to be a resounding "Yes". I think I'm heading down the "anal rententive cleaning" route. Yesterday I blackened my tyres with some "stuff". Makes a big difference to the overall look of the car. Where do I go from here???

the more you clean and polish (providing its done corectly) then the easier it becomes and the faster you do it, partly due to getting a system going but mainly due to the fact that the smoother your paint the less the dirt binds to it.

windows are the key to finished article, keep them clean inside and out and the rest is plain sailing

To be fair I don't think you ca tell from a photo, this was taken of our cab after it had been pressure rinsed only at the jet wash, and it looks clean enough.....

cab1.jpg

And this was taken yesterday of the A2 after I had been from Southend to Norwich, Norwich to Woking, Woking to Hamstead, Hamstead back to Woking and then from Woking back home to Norwich, a total of 11 hours of driving and all the crap that comes with it.
And to be fair in the photo it looks pretty clean really...

a2rear.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you get better results by spending more than an hour on your car???

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno, when i get my nose out of the Zymol, i'll let you know... damn it smells fine!!!!
Can anyone guess what it smells like... i've figured it out (or wife did anyway)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends which version of the wax you use...

[ QUOTE ]
what one do you use bowf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this aimed at me? Not sure if it was for Bowfer...

anyway if it's me I use Zymol Concours and Destiny wax's depending on the occasion. The destiny gives the car a lovely shine but the concours wax used on a black car gives it a wet look.

J.