6XE Folding Mirror Retrofit Progress Thread

Darren92

Solutions
Reaction score
Picked a bad time of year to be starting this due to post and TPS opening hours but I've finally (minus door controllers) gathered up the parts to complete 6XE.

All parts are brand new and from TPS but I'll be buying second hand door controllers.

Part numbers for a RHD 2015MY car with black interior

I have reused my original non-dimming glass.

NS Folding Mirror Base
8K2 857 409 AH

OS Folding Mirror Base
8K2 857 410 AH

Mirror adjustment switch with folding function
8K0 959 565 E (WEP)

Optical light trim for switch
8T0 919 173 A

Door trim with folding function cutout
8K2 867 172 E (7PE)

Pictures of the parts required (minus door controllers)

- Door trim, mirror adjustment switch & optical ring.

IMG 8809

OS Folding mirror base
IMG 8786

NS Folding mirror base

IMG 8817

As some of the parts only arrived during the week, so far I have only swapped the drivers base and door trim over. Mirror afterwards looks identical after swapping the base.

IMG 8787

Onto swapping the door trim and switchgear.

de6d2114-be71-40e4-8e60-48ba8d306c41_zpscdsqs9t6.jpg

Old against new

IMG_8812_zpstilbzlfe.jpg

Built back up, folding mirror installed back onto the door and door card back on.
IMG_8813_zpszjbmh9vk.jpg

IMG_8814_zpshtcvfdpx.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be stripping down the passenger door to swap the folding base onto the door.

Just need controllers and I'll be finished!

Funny as I have to do the very same install in a few days for a client, nice wet & cold :)

Funny as I have to do the very same install in a few days for a client, nice wet & cold :)

People say I'm mad retrofitting bits but sure, its fun ... most of the time!

Learnt alot from going retrofit mad on my 8P, hopefully things on the 8K will be a bit better.

Not much planned for this one, it came with most things I wanted bar folding mirrors and the stupid optional interior light pack both of which are basically done.

Crikey. I really hope it all works fine the first time you use the function Darren. It looks like a complex/audiexpensive part. You end up just leaving it on. You lock the car. They fold in. Your friends go "oohh thats' cool". Personally, I'm not really a fan of the reverse dip as I lose sight of the cars offside rear corner which is the point I prefer to focus on. Everyones different on that one. But it's a neat function and I like the idea of the car lessening it's chances of losing a wing mirror to a poor driver when parked.

Reactions: Darren92
Crikey. I really hope it all works fine the first time you use the function Darren. It looks like a complex/audiexpensive part. You end up just leaving it on. You lock the car. They fold in. Your friends go "oohh thats' cool". Personally, I'm not really a fan of the reverse dip as I lose sight of the cars offside rear corner which is the point I prefer to focus on. Everyones different on that one. But it's a neat function and I like the idea of the car lessening it's chances of losing a wing mirror to a poor driver when parked.

The bases are quite expensive, but they're new and come with the 2 year guarantee compared to cheaper used parts. I'm sure @NHN will agree with me when I say second hand parts aren't reliable and you're taking a risk in buying them, which I will be buying controllers.

I retrofitted folding mirrors and autodimming glass on my 8P but as they were the "dumbo" style mirrors, they folded in, not up so they still stuck out somewhat. I won't be enabling the dipping feature as I just can't get on with it!

Reactions: chucky1
Am sure your dad loving all the retro fits on his car

Reactions: Darren92
Am sure your dad loving all the retro fits on his car

He'll probably not even notice just like the pedals lol, he's driving my A3 more than his A4 at the minute as it's easier on diesel heading to work .. not that I'm complaining however!

Reactions: ruairi83
I forgot to say this 1st time round Darren. Nice job. And I'm sure your dad will notice.

Boom, all done and dusted :)

Reactions: linners, jaygemson, RS5 JON and 1 other person
That looks well smart Darren hope to get mine done later in the year that's cool:sign yum:

Thanks! Definitely worth doing, very pleased with how it turned out. Hardest bit was sourcing the correct controllers for the year of car and matching the hw and sw of the old controllers.

Picked a bad time of year to be starting this due to post and TPS opening hours but I've finally (minus door controllers) gathered up the parts to complete 6XE.

All parts are brand new and from TPS but I'll be buying second hand door controllers.

Part numbers for a RHD 2015MY car with black interior

I have reused my original non-dimming glass.

NS Folding Mirror Base
8K2 857 409 AH

OS Folding Mirror Base
8K2 857 410 AH

Mirror adjustment switch with folding function
8K0 959 565 E (WEP)

Optical light trim for switch
8T0 919 173 A

Door trim with folding function cutout
8K2 867 172 E (7PE)

Pictures of the parts required (minus door controllers)

- Door trim, mirror adjustment switch & optical ring.

View attachment 75730

OS Folding mirror base
View attachment 75732

NS Folding mirror base

View attachment 75733

As some of the parts only arrived during the week, so far I have only swapped the drivers base and door trim over. Mirror afterwards looks identical after swapping the base.

View attachment 75734

Onto swapping the door trim and switchgear.

de6d2114-be71-40e4-8e60-48ba8d306c41_zpscdsqs9t6.jpg

Old against new

IMG_8812_zpstilbzlfe.jpg

Built back up, folding mirror installed back onto the door and door card back on.
IMG_8813_zpszjbmh9vk.jpg

IMG_8814_zpshtcvfdpx.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be stripping down the passenger door to swap the folding base onto the door.

Just need controllers and I'll be finished!
Hi mate, long shot, but do you know if these part numbers would be the same for a 2013 A4 B8.5 as I want to do the same? I can't view your profile to see what car you have only that its a 2015. Cheers.

Hi mate, long shot, but do you know if these part numbers would be the same for a 2013 A4 B8.5 as I want to do the same? I can't view your profile to see what car you have only that its a 2015. Cheers.

the part numbers have probably been superceeded now as they were the current numbers for the time (6 years ago!), but yes will be the same though remember you’ll need door controllers most likely.