6x9 fitment

johnyj

Reaction score
can any one suggest about fitting 6x9 on the back shelf.
shall i remov e standard or put them next to them
also what about fitment
i have a non split rear seat model a4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

You'll have quite a job on your hands, the rear deck is fairly heavy guage steel. I don't see how it can be done without major cutting. You won't get a huge benefit over aftermarket 6.5's. You'll also need to fit an amp for them as the rears run off their own amp bolted to the left rear speaker. I wou;dn't bother, fitting a dedicated sub & sub amp will give a far better increase in bass & sound quality with less effort and more stealthiness.

personally im completely against 6x9s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

they will attract thieves if not properly stealthed

they drag the sound stage too far back, sound should come from the front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

and if you have a sub in the boot you will get bass cancellation, as well as possibly damaged 6x9s if your sub moves a lot of air

apologies for preaching /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

but back to the question at hand, as Andy says fit a sub and amp, results will be much better and the stage will remain in the front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i understand what your saying as going back to my mini days with tin snips.
i have a pair of jbl 6x9s and a 800 watt 4 channel amp and sub from my last install.
the amp has 2 channel full range and 2 channel bridged sub.
to me the standard rear has nothing in them.
ant other suggestions
thanks.

You'll need more than tin snips. It's heavy gauge steel and is double skinned. I wouldn't even think about trying to cut into it. Unlike a mini, Audi's aren't made out of recycled coke cans.
The left rear speaker should have a metal cover partly obscuring the magnet so that it looks very different to the right one. This metal thing is the amp for the rears.
I think there may have been a few A4's that were powered from the head unit but I could be wrong.
I would get some half decent 6.5" replacement rears (not worth spending too much money here, £70 is more than enough) and power them off the amp, and use the bridged channel for a decent sub.
Ideally you want to upgrade the fronts as this is where the quality will be apparent, and again these would benefit from a separate amp.

cheers mac u seem to run this forum...
saw some infinity 6.5 6502I for 47 pound 60w rms.
what have u got ?

Just some lowly Pioneer custom fit jobbies.
forgot to mention you have to disconnect the rear cyclops brake light before you can slide the shelf out.

I bought Focal 165 from e-bay for £60, but for this option you need Autoleads speaker adaptors, Halfords is the cheapest. (3/4 days del - £8.99) They also have some really good offers on speakers there is a pair of Pioneers at £69.99 should have been £89.99 - the sound pretty damn good.

r focal any good never heard of them.
ive had experience with pioneer speakers b4 and not impressed with there handling.
ill have a look though thanks

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Oops didn't follow the thread, sorry!! I need more sleep! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif