.63 or .72 on GTX3071R on a 2.0

Sam_

Down under
Reaction score
I'm basically doing the slowest engine build ever but am slowly gathering parts. I've been offered a good deal on a .63 Tial stainless vband housing. I was planning on using either the TSR or PagParts manifold which are both vband, just for easier fitting. PagParts do a .72 vband housing but I was speaking to a guy running GTX3071s on a C5 RS6 and he recommended I go for the .63 for better spool on the road? I don't really want to be revving madly high. Any ideas?

The turbo currently has a T3 .82 vband outlet housing which I'll flog if anyone needs it? Andrew?

.72 i would say for a nice drive

I have had the .63 and .82 and would say the .72 is the best of both worlds

The .63 is just too small for a 2.0 on a GTX3071r. But it really depends on how you plan to use the car?

What would be the downside? He said it'd spool better on a .63 and that the GTX spools a little later than a GT?

I'm aiming to use it for track and fast road. It's not going to be an all out racer, just a nice all rounder.

The HTA billet GT3017r on James stroker used a 0.82 Tial hotside... that spooled real nice... spool of course is not just about the hotside.. runner size etc all contributes... fitted a 0.63 tial to the Mk2 Golf big turbo track car...
531891_329272277190864_1349833119_n.jpg

Made no appreciable difference on spool due to the huge runner length and ID of the manifold... the TSR mani used by James and by Stacey has slightly smaller ID runners than Bills typical full race designs...

<tuffty/>

You using the ppt v-band bottom mount mani?

I think it comes down to the headwork you will have and how far you can rev as to whether a larger housing is worth it. but saying that .72 isnt much of a big jump

I think 0.63 is a little small.. personally.

I have 0.63 and 0.82 tials for mine.. only used the 0.82 so far, 1900cc tho not 2008cc

Would have thought the .72 would get the best of both worlds?

I didn't realise when I bought the gtx that it actually spools slower than its gt counter part unlike 90% of other billet turbos which as expected spool faster

Although have to admit the gtx range compressor wheels flow a lot of air for the size of the comps :)

The HTA billet GT3017r on James stroker used a 0.82 Tial hotside... that spooled real nice... spool of course is not just about the hotside.. runner size etc all contributes... fitted a 0.63 tial to the Mk2 Golf big turbo track car...
531891_329272277190864_1349833119_n.jpg

Made no appreciable difference on spool due to the huge runner length and ID of the manifold... the TSR mani used by James and by Stacey has slightly smaller ID runners than Bills typical full race designs...

<tuffty/>

Love the long runner side mounted manifolds.

For a minute there i thought you meant Bill had a fullrace manifold but now know what you mean lol.

Wish they did a fullrace manifold for transverse 1.8t`s :( They are the sexiest manifolds going. Only available for the A4 and so on.

OK I guess I'll hang out for the .72 when the time comes. I thought the full race manifold was no good for RHD Quattro cars?

Nice engine bay. Sidewinder setups are always cool looking. I was building a 2.0 16v GTI6 engine using one before I left to move here:

manifold1.jpg

manifold3.jpg

You using the ppt v-band bottom mount mani?

I think it comes down to the headwork you will have and how far you can rev as to whether a larger housing is worth it. but saying that .72 isnt much of a big jump

I was considering it yeah. He quoted me around $2k for the stainless vband bottom mount, stainless 3" downpipe, 44mm Tial wastegate and a .72 housing. Pretty good deal really. Only downside is the bottom mount. Lucky I have a compact housing for my turbo as well as the full fat 4" anti-surge one (which I'd rather run but doubful I could).

This is one of his RHD setups. Not sure how this sits with the transfer box though.

RHD_1.JPG

thats neat as hell. deffo for fwd though

ive given up with pagparts now, took me ages to order my stuff from them through ****** e-mails, doesnt like to respond. Then i was contacting Al to change my hotside to a bigger one and ive had sod all replies, so im looking else where now.

Ah that's a shame as his gear seems to be generally top notch. Have you tried contacting him through Facebook? It's where I dealt with him.

I'd go for TSR but it's a bit on the pricey side. There's a dude in the states from Vortex that builds them for $1k and they look awesome quality.

Bill knows Arnold quite well and we fed back the issues of the 'kit' I bought at the time... was compounded a bit when I changed to the external gate hotside... shifted stuff around a little from the T25 internal gate hotside... machined a little off the mounting flange for the turbo on the mani to lift it a little... plenty of room now... (by plenty I mean enough ;P)

<tuffty/>

But Sam has the same size compressor housing as mine so a under hung turbo would need a custom manifold, Stacey even had to modify his fire wall with a lump hammer and he has the smaller compressor.

Yeah he could send as a gift but then again, the limit is $1000 here. Handy ;)

Reactions: superkarl
To be truthfully honest mine would have probably fitted without the mods to the heatshield but I have measured the next sized housing up and made sure I have left enough clearance to get it in there, incase I should need the anti surge or if I ever decide to put anything different in I won't have to have the downpipe adjusted and should be a straight drop in ;)

I've got both housings. I got an awesome deal and the guy threw in both housings, full fat (avatar) and compact.

This is the manifold the guy on Vortex has made:
RMS vband manifold - Honda-Tech

He'll do it for $1000.

That's the same type of mani that I got my fabricator to make but I used a cast T3 s/s collector. It's kind of the full race design.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 308