60 mins old and a nice stone chipped windscreen

McAudi

Reaction score
Drove away from the dealership yesterday lunchtime in my new car and within 60 mins I was glaring at my new stone chip. Ironically, it was kicked up by a Honda Civic, just like the car I had part exchanged for the Audi. I phoned Autoglass and they told me that unless the strike was larger than 4mm, there was nothing they could do. ****** typical, as mine is about 3mm but the ripple effect has blown a 10mm hole beneath the surface.

I got one right in my eyeline at 200 miles in. It's the size of a match head with no star or anything so auto glass said they couldn't do anything.

We have an autoglass depot in Leicester so I might just drop in and talk to one of the guys to see if there is actually anything that can be done for a few beer tokens.

That's just a real bummer.
In the winter its road grit from gritting and in the summer it's the damn loose grit from top dressing. Cant win

A few year ago I'd just picked up my shiny new TTS and within a couple of miles I'd been well and truly gritted. Why on earth do they have to spread it a metre and a half high?

Scroll back 10-15 years, most cars had rear mud flaps fitted.

These days, virtually none. Wonder if this has contributed to the increase in stone chips for the following cars.

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks
Scroll back 10-15 years, most cars had rear mud flaps fitted.

These days, virtually none. Wonder if this has contributed to the increase in stone chips for the following cars.

I cringe every time I drive through loose small stones on the road and hear them hitting the wheel arches. I take it that it is the wheel arches that they are hitting after being carried by the grooves of the tyres?

Might be even worse than that....

Front tyres could spray stones all along your sills and lower doors (look at the mud spray pattern after going through a muddy puddle)
Rear tyres could spray stones up your rear bumper, and out to the car behind !

Same here. Next time I'm near a centre, I'm going to see if there is anything they can do to mask it.
I got one right in my eyeline at 200 miles in. It's the size of a match head with no star or anything so auto glass said they couldn't do anything.

We have an autoglass depot in Leicester so I might just drop in and talk to one of the guys to see if there is actually anything that can be done for a few beer tokens.

Since the bad weather our local roads have ended up with pools of stones and gravel where the floods bought water back up through the drains. Also the road surfaces are knackered and seem to be pot holing and giving up even more grit recently.

I had exactly the same happen on my last car within 10 miles, I ended up having the screen changed as it was in eye line and auto glass couldn't help. Cost me £259 in the end, but fortunately no repeat on current car (just leading edge bonnet chips).

It's gutting when it happens so soon, it feels violating.

Picked up a very small stone chip just in my line of sight on Friday.

By the time that I had reached home 10 minutes later, it had formed a three way crack that stretches all the way across to the A Pillar and vertically up and down. Total size is about 400mm.

Auto Windscreens (my insurer's preferred fitter) can't do anything until the 24th as they have to order the screen from Audi (acoustic glass with shade band and sensors).

Sorry to hear that mate. You have indirectly answered a question about the glass. I was wondering how long it would take to order our specific glass.
Picked up a very small stone chip just in my line of sight on Friday.

By the time that I had reached home 10 minutes later, it had formed a three way crack that stretches all the way across to the A Pillar and vertically up and down. Total size is about 400mm.

Auto Windscreens (my insurer's preferred fitter) can't do anything until the 24th as they have to order the screen from Audi (acoustic glass with shade band and sensors).