1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 years of S3 Ownership

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by XPOWER, Sep 1, 2013.

1. XPOWER

XPOWER Active Member
    Audi RS3 Team Catalunya

After 6 years of ownership I thought I would write a little review and some updated photos of the car.

I picked the car up on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of September 2007 as a late 30[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday present for myself (I wanted to wait a few months to get the new registration plate).

Here is the original post:-
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/44083-september-1st-2007-delivery.html

This was my first proper car after owning a 1991 Nissan Micra 1.2 GS from 1994 to 2000 and then a 2000 Nissan Almera 1.5E from 2000 until 2007.

I’ve kept the car standard since I bought it. I’m tempted to get it chipped to stage 1 but I can't justify it to myself until I change the clutch.

What I like about the car:-
    • S3 is in a lower tax bracket compared to an R32 (Which was my first choice of car to buy)
    • Turbo makes driving fun when going in a straight line especially passing cars.
    • Build quality is really good it feels that it’s a quality product especially after sitting in an Evo or an Impreza wrx.
    • When doing Motorway driving the range in the tank is over 400miles.
    What I don’t like:-
    • Hate the fact when flooring the accelerator there is no quick pick-up from rest.
    • The front seats don’t remember which position they were in after someone has gained access to the rear seats.
    • Sat-nav does not have full UK postcode search.
    • The standard tyres are not great in the snow.
    • Gear box doesn't like being rushed.
    • Loosing £20k in depreciation. :sob:
    Its not a cheap car to run but I haven't had any issues until over that last couple of weeks the battery is going flat. So that's will need replacing in the coming weeks.

Here are some pics from today:-

Gave it a wash as a registration day present:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine bay needs a clean:-
    [​IMG]

The driver seat hasn't started sagging yet:-

[​IMG]

Wheels need to be refurbished at some point:-
    [​IMG]

Gear stick is looking a bit scratched now:-
    [​IMG]

The driver and passenger side b pillars have a gold look in the paint for some reason:-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The passenger side head light washer is starting to wear:-
    [​IMG]

Exactly 48000 miles today:-
    [​IMG]

I really like the S3 and I have no regrets in buying it.

So would I buy another S3?
    When it’s time for me to get another car I don’t think so. I’ve grown up and will be looking for something different and faster, but that's not going to be for a few years yet.

#1 XPOWER, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    Lima likes this.
  2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

Ever thought of having it mapped - I think that will put a smile on your face :)

No idea what that gold/brown is, tried claying it off?

4. XPOWER

XPOWER Active Member
    Audi RS3 Team Catalunya

The only reason I haven't had it mapped is the clutch is starting to go with revs sometimes sticking around 3000rpm.
    When the clutch does go I'm going to chip it. I need to keep my spending down at the moment.

I think the gold is where the paint wasn't applied thickly enough in the factory. It seems to be getting more noticeable as the years have gone on.

5. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

Its an easy car to own long term.

Had my first one over 3 year, was in a 320d for a few months, then back in a S3 for the last 18month.
    Got another 6 months left on the PCP and struggling to decide what to get next.

6. DJ-S3

DJ-S3 Active Member

I agree with the seat part. You have to pull the latch up to make the back rest go back. That was a terrible idea, but it does go back to where it was. You just need to push the chair forward and push the back rest fully forward for it to slide back to where it previously was. Then the latch to make the back rest go back. Took me a few weeks to figure out.

7. perazzi

perazzi Active Member

There's a small steel adjustable 'locker' which is located within the rail of the front seat slider, on both sides of the car.

They're meant to be set for your personal driving position and the seat will always relocate back to wherever it's set.

I know this because mine (unaware of it's existance at the time) broke, and locked the seat in midget position.

Took me an hour with a wire thingumy to fish the bits out.

Clever idea though (if I'd known about it beforehand), and it didn't break.

P.

8. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing
    Supporter

the 'gold' looks like brake dust deposits to me.

even when claying a clean car, the colour of the muck around these areas looks like that!

i would say a clay and polish detail session would fix that!

nothing at all to worry about just a bit of neglect in cleaning has caused brake dust and other deposits to build up that's all!

9. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral
    Team Ibis Audi S3

Mine's going to be into it's 6th year soon,and yours looks in superb condition.

10. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

How could you live for 6 years on standard suspension and no remap! What a waste of fun:asskicking:.:lmfao:

11. Ash B

Ash B Well-Known Member

This car is dying for an remap and exhaust lol :happy: Lovely car though looks very tidy.
    Will have to come back to the 8P section at some point with an S3 :wub:

12. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

Stage 1 map is essential.
    There is no way I would have kept mine so long without it.
    Get yourself a Milltek too, you can pick up used ones for £500 if you look about. Makes a big difference.

13. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

I might have mine up for sale soon if you're interested:p

14. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

The car isn't in bad condition at all really for 7 years of ownership, it needs a good detail and a refurb, but those are minor things to sort out really. You are bound to get wear and tear after 48,000 miles of driving it! I've had my A3 from new and it's been a pleasure really over the past 5 years, I will be sad to see it go when I put it up for sale soon.

15. XPOWER

XPOWER Active Member
    Audi RS3 Team Catalunya

Thanks for your kind words about the car. I'm proud of it and I try and look after it.
    Even now people still comment that I have a S3, which shows it has some street cred even today.

Next spring I will get it professionally valeted and maybe sort out the wheels if its not too expensive.

I think I will need to read the manual regarding those seats. Its booked in on Saturday to get a new battery fitted so I might ask the dealer if they can show me how they work.

The reason why I haven't got it modified is that since getting the car my expenses has gone through the roof with buying my first house then having a girlfriend to spend my money on.
    She hated the car saying it was too expensive to buy, too expensive to run, too fast and the doors were too heavy to close.
    Maybe that's one of the reasons she is now an ex. lol

For the last year or so the clutch is starting to slip so I'm waiting for that to go as an excuse for getting a decent clutch fitted and getting a remap done at the same time.

batch, RedDejavu, Dean_T and 2 others like this.
  16. S.

S. Well-Known Member
    Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group quattro Audi S3 Manual

love the 2nd to last sentence :whip:

Lima and Dean_T like this.
  17. Lima

Lima AUSmotive.com

+1

Six years and you haven't RTFM yet, haha! Have a read, it might seem like a brand new car.
    :beerchug: