6 speed manual gearbox linkages

rob0904

Reaction score
Hi, this last week my gear stick has intermittently become very sloppy and hard to get out of first gear.

Some wiggling about and it gets better...

My question is, can you get replacement linkages and is there a good guide how to change them?

I also need a new ball cup for the gearstick.

Thanks

Just to update this....

I fitted a new linkage cup and now the gearstick is like new. £12 and an hour on the floor made me very happy.

Rob

Yeah I need to fine tune my gear stick but it's pretty good.

Virtually no play in the gearstick, I'm very happy with it....

Hi I don't suppose you have a part number do you?
Thanks

I got mine from eBay. But this is the part number they list it as.

8d0 798 151

It's makes the gearstick and selection like new. It's a bit of a pain to do unless you've got a lift or pit. I did mine using ramps and axle stands.

Mine can sometimes be a bit awkward to get into first and third, so I'll have a look to see if I can see any damage to it when the centre console comes out this week.

Does the selector need to be removed from the car from below to do it, or would it be possible to do it from above in situ? Also did you have a guide to work with when doing it, or did you just have at it?

It's on the gearbox side where the trouble is. I thought mine was the gearstick assembly but it wasn't.

I found a good diy thread on a passat forum I think which walked me thru it.

Ah right, I thought it was in the selector box in the car. I'll have a look now thanks, as I'm already a member on there.

For what it costs and a bit of time under the car it's well worth doing even if you've just got a bit of play.

Just to revive this old thread - I had exactly the same symptoms here, however it wasn't the linkage cup that was worn, it was a broken plastic tapered shim in the "gear shift lever" - which isn't the lever in the cabin, but what the above cup repar kit goes onto! Part number is 8d0711181 and appears to be same for most VW/Audi manual boxes (despite the fact it turned out the cup repair kit for my gyx gearbox is 8E0798151C). See pics here you will see what I mean (although shim looks metal): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/shift-lever/8d0711181/
Some sellers on fleabay too for buying in EU.