6 speed Box on a FWD 1.8TS

Andy.B

Reaction score
As per question is there any 6speed box i can use on my car? Id preferably like a quicker acceleration and a lower rpm on the motorway. I know the new A4 diesel boxes have that kind of gearing i need but will they fit?

they fit but i believe that the speedo takes its feed from the ECU and that from the gearbox......so I understand as I wanted a six speed.
not sure 5th in a 5spd is that much shorter than 6th on 6spd.
they are just shorter between ratios

I also want 6 speed in mine just for the sake of it ive always wanted one.

So would i need somthing changed using vagcom to make it read correctly ?

Andy, the 6-speed box will fit fine. No issues with speedo take-off, the original sender from your 5 speed (012) gearbox will fit the 6 speed (01E).

A4 2.5TDI ran a 6 speed box, codes were FRF or ELQ. You original distance sender is the very SAME part number as the 6 speed ones.

@ JCB: The ratios on a diesel 6 speed are completely different to those of a petrol engined-car. Whereas on a petrol unit, the 6th ratio isn't much higher than the 5th on a 5 speed car, as you said, the gaps are closer.

However, the 6th ratio on a diesel-engined car is a true overdrive, typically each 1,000rpm in 6th gives approximately 37.5mph, compared to the 22.5 - 26.4 seen on a petrol 5/6 speed gearbox.

Right i see, so a diesel 6speed box will fit that great :)

Next question is what car would i need to get one out of ie year, model? Needs to be 2wd remember.

If i get one soon ill deffo fit it along with a better clutch and flywheel.

Andy, that one's perfect, price is good too.

interesting.
Siena...are you running a petrol box with deisel cogs?

£400 seems a bit steep for a box alone. I have seen whole cars for less than £1000

does this swap make a difference on a 4wd? I seem to recall you need to match gearbox and rear diff final drives.
Not sure it is as straight forward for me with a quattro but would e interested in a cruising gear. my fifth does 22.5mph per 1000rpm (checked this afternoon) makes it tricky for me to hit 150mph before I hit the limiter!! ; )

@ jcb: My S4 6 speed box (DSY) I rebuilt with ratios to suit what I want my car to do with a highly modified S4 engine. I bought an FRF 6 speed box, from a smashed A4 2.5TDI. One of the mounts was torn off in the smash, taking the threaded holes in the casting.

I rebuilt my DSY box with some of the internals, altering just the 3rd, 4th and 5th ratios of my original DSY box.

£400 steep? That transmission costs just under £3,000 from Audi. You can't expect the seller to sell it for next to nothing, just because complete cars can be had for less than £1,000 (I've never seen an A4 2.5TDI go for less than £1,000. The FRF 6 speed was available in the AFB-engined A4 TDI from April 2001, so if you can let me know where to find one for less than £1,500, let me know, and I'll buy 2!

On a quattro, the final drive is 4.11:1, so rear differential ratio will be fine. Don't forget, you need serious low-down torque to cruise easily in a 6th ratio, if the cogs are from a diesel-engined car.

Nice one i think i might buy it. I may have to see what im left with in the bank :)

not saying that gearbox specifically, but if you are only after a few cogs, I wouldn't pay £450 for a box alone.
there are a number of six speed boxes listed on the usual sites at the moment and they are all under £400-450.

what makes this one so worth while?

Jcb, you're missing the point. I wouldn't expect someone to sell me his 6 speed box for £200, just because someone else sold one for that amount.

I certainly wouldn't expect him to sell it dirt cheap either, just because I'm "after a few cogs". I've built gearboxes for different applications, the work involved in building just one unit is more involved than building 2 RS4 engines.

It's all about supply and demand, if you want something, then you've got to be prepared to pay the premium.

Unless a box is completely shagged, no one in their right minds would strip a transmission, just to sell 5 cogs and syncro hubs.

Siena said:
I wouldn't expect someone to sell me his 6 speed box for £200, just because someone else sold one for that amount.

i would if thats what they were selling for.....

...There's no set price for selling second hand parts. The prices are determined by demand, and how surplus they are.

jcb said:
not saying that gearbox specifically, but if you are only after a few cogs, I wouldn't pay £450 for a box alone.
there are a number of six speed boxes listed on the usual sites at the moment and they are all under £400-450.

what makes this one so worth while?

This one is £440 posted, if you know of cheeper ones about for my aplication please tell me b4 i shell out on this one :icon_thumright:

This is a great thread i have wanted to know about this for a while ill get one of these when i replace my clutch next year before the remap so i should have plenty enought torque for it :) Cheers Siena

if anyone does this can they let us know there opinion on the gear ratios. haven't had my car up and running properly with a good map yet so can't work out if there any massive holes in the torque curve that i need to consider when choosing ratios.

I thin i might ut one on too when i do the clutch and after the new turbo install.

cheers for this Siena, good thread