1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 hours, Blood, sweat, frustration and....SUCCESS!

jansa3turbo Oct 16, 2006

1. jansa3turbo

jansa3turbo Audi A3 1.8T Sport

Hi Guys,

I waited bloody ages for the stealership to get me my parts and friday they came in!

• Ignition switch,
    • Plastic window clips.
      • Glove box from a breakers

I decided that I'd sort all the bits out in one go
      • Glove box change over (mine had a crack from someone with big feet and knees)
      • ignition switch replacement
      • Fix my window that would no longer rise on its own

The glove box was pretty simple, The ignition switch was a bit harder! And the window was just a damn pain (literally! i cut my finger!!!!)

Any way, thought I'd post my achievements on here, just in case anyone needs help with a similar fix...

Oh by the way, I've got a new fault now. The rear washer never worked ever, I was going to look into it, and now the whole wiping mechanism has given up the ghost! arghh!!!

2. turbodan

turbodan Member

I need a new glovebox, the brackets have both snapped off and im using bluetack as a temp solution! (it holds for about a week before falling off!)

How much did your glovebox cost? so i know im not getting ripped off!

Also how long did it take to replace? theres an airbag above the glovebox, i take it this is a totally seperate unit alltogether & wouldnt interfere with it if replacing the glovebox?

Some **** seems to have got chewing gum stuck to my passenger seat too! anyone know the best way to get it off?!

Cheers!

(PS: My rear washer never worked either!)

3. jansa3turbo

The glove box I bought was £30 plus postage of £15. (from a breakers)
    It arrived and it was a slightly different colour to mine, slightly lighter. - So I swapped the door from my old one onto the new one! It looks like new again now..... bit of a bodge but hey look at the price of one from the stealers!
    Quick Tip - Changing the glove box door was a pig! there are two pins holding it on which will make you curse!

Good luck with the box, as for the seat.... ??? I banned gum from my car ages ago!!!

Cheers

4. jansa3turbo

I think there are 8 bolts holding it in......
    It should take you no more than 15 minutes to swap :)

Good luck

5. garratt83

garratt83 Member

Get some airspay (not hair). Spray on to gum and it will freeze it. Then scrap it off. Or if you have a big frezzer put it in there. lol

6. turbodan

turbodan Member

ahh, both of my glovebox arm/bracket thingys are actually stuck in the glovebox! ive tried removing the arms with the pins with no joy!

Ideally id just buy the glovebox lid, but no point until i manage to get these arms out!

Thats why i was thinking of buying a whole new glovebox.

7. turbodan

turbodan Member

Cheers for the tip!

I shall give it a go later.

8. madvw

madvw Active Member

so those blue window clips that move the windows glass which like to break can be replaced seperately?

9. jansa3turbo

Yes, I replaced both of the clips because it would be a right dog to finish the job and find that the other clip gives up a few weeks later!!!

10. madvw

madvw Active Member

nice. I was always under the impresion that it needed the replacement of the winder mechanisms, and all the messing about and riveting involved...

11. Pete69zx

Pete69zx Guest

My drivers side window usually sueaks as its attempting to go up & occasionally really slows down on its way up aswell.
    Sometimes (possibly when its been raining)... i flick the window switch to mjake the window go up & it decides to go all the way down. Occasionally it wont respond to going up either!
    ARRGGHH.

Is this a symptom the same as your used to suffer aswell?

What is the fix for me please?

When the window does fully close, the part of the window closest to the B pillar doesnt go all the way up, so i suffer from wind/road noise. To be frank, its a bit of a TW@T!

Pete.