55 Plate VW Golf Key Needed - Alternatives to Main Dealer?

Veero

Reaction score
The wife just bought a 55 plate Golf. All straight and tidy, only problem there is just the 1 key.

I've searched online but as ever conclusive evidence is difficult to pin down. Apparently on Mk5 Golfs it's not possible to recode another key to a car and the only option is the main stealer. I have just popped in to be told it's £215 all in which is utterly ludicrous. Can anyone confirm if there are any other alternatives?

The key (I assume just the blade) is £38, the remote £53 and programming £75 ish net so when retail is calculated with VAT etc it comes to the £215.

I'm presuming they won't be too pleased at me bringing an eBay key along, since it will need a new blade anyway that's only saving the £58 part.

Frankly I'm disgusted by that price so any alternative suggestions welcomed.

Hi There, I work for a VW dealership (sales rather than service/parts)..I will ask the question for you tomorrow and post the outcome.
IIRC when we have ordered spares for sold vehicles,the whole key is ordered direct from Germany then coded once it arrives..and they are circa the £200 mark even internally..We generally get the whole lot, that makes me unsure of whether its possible to get the separate bits or recode an old key..but its worth asking the question.

I could make and program a key for half the stealer price.
Of course youll probably want somebody to make one for nothing as you can buy them on ebay for 30 quid and everybody has coding tools cos its on a forum right?!

Question asked to our guys in parts..
You can buy the top half of the key inc; the blade from VW.Around £60.(not available seperatley)
You can mate that with the bottom half of an old key ie; fleabay.Thus saving money.
Then you can get it coded.(The top half from VW includes the imob chip.)
You need proof of ownership for the car and proof of ID to order the bit from a dealer.(for obvious reasons)
Hope that is of use.

I could make and program a key for half the stealer price.
Of course youll probably want somebody to make one for nothing as you can buy them on ebay for 30 quid and everybody has coding tools cos its on a forum right?!

Bit of an assumption there eh fella. Not everyone is that tight fisted. £215 is definitely taking the **** when you consider what goes into a key and the fabrication of it. It obviously can't be free but a reasonable figure would at least be more palatable. Besides someone has PM'd me an alternative for half that so looks like I'm sorted.

Easty, worth knowing you could take an existing key and I guess it does save a bit compared to buying the whole kit and kaboodle from VW.

Bit of an assumption there eh fella. Not everyone is that tight fisted. £215 is definitely taking the **** when you consider what goes into a key and the fabrication of it. It obviously can't be free but a reasonable figure would at least be more palatable. Besides someone has PM'd me an alternative for half that so looks like I'm sorted.

Easty, worth knowing you could take an existing key and I guess it does save a bit compared to buying the whole kit and kaboodle from VW.

so you got a key for half the dealer price or half of that?

what if i said your key would cost you 22quid and coded for free if your car was on my driveway, some peaople would still look for cheaper ;)

Question asked to our guys in parts..
You can buy the top half of the key inc; the blade from VW.Around £60.(not available seperatley)
You can mate that with the bottom half of an old key ie; fleabay.Thus saving money.
Then you can get it coded.(The top half from VW includes the imob chip.)
You need proof of ownership for the car and proof of ID to order the bit from a dealer.(for obvious reasons)
Hope that is of use.

£60 just for the blade part of the key is still expensive. You can buy a brand new full remote key for almost half of that from Ebay. Granted they're not genuine VAG but they do exactly the same job & from experience i know they're well built & won't fall aprt after 6 months.

Oh & don't take that as having a go at you mate. You don't make the prices up yourself, you're just an employee! :) i'm just stating cheaper alternatives

No offence taken..I don't set the prices.I am a great believer that if people want to save a few quid and go non gen then its up to them.

I have a friend lost his passat key, called me to see if i could program it, which i can of course, but he had ordered a blade from VW for 80 quid! Im assuming its the complete key head, but thats ludicrous, the spare im making him will come to the same price complete!

I'm in the same position with having 1 key. Shame you weren't closer to Cumbria @udiA3!

Deffo not interested in paying the stealer price of £200+!

I travel north quite often, would be worth sending me your details just incase. If you came to me it would be about 70quid for a spare remote