1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50mm lowering springs.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by a3dcf, Jul 13, 2011.

1. a3dcf

a3dcf New Member

Hi, ive purchased some 50mm lowering springs, im planning to keep the standard shocks for the mean time is this okay? some one mentioned that i may have to change the anti roll bar!!?
    Also ive been quoted £150 to put the new springs on, how that price sound?
    Cheers!
  2. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

What car have you got dude? It makes a difference

Its considered a good idea to change the dampers at least if your lowering the car, the current ones weren't designed to be used with a spring with a smaller travel, which will be made worse because they are likely to be old
  3. a3dcf

a3dcf New Member

Ah that may help ! 1999 a3 1.8t
  4. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

Yeah i think if you lower an a3 that much you'll probably get the drive shafts rubbing on the anti roll bar, an aftermarket one will sort that out.

Other a3 owners will be able to confirm though
  5. Thuggie

Thuggie Member

buy some shocks as well don't make the same mistake as i did my shocks lasted 2 weeks .... and just buy some adjustable drop links
  6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

I thought the adjustable drop links dont work.... dont take for gospal as im not an a3 driver.... i thought whiteline arb sorted the prob..
  7. Slammedorion

Slammedorion Member

Our A3 is dropped 40mm up front and 50mm on the rear with no issues on 19's too.
    Do change the shockers though otherwise you'll be paying out twice for fitting.
    Where abouts are you? You might find if a member lives near you they'll do it cheaper. I'd do it for half your quoted price and still feel I was robbing you. It's not a hard job to do. The front can be time consuming but plenty of WD and a big hammer will have it done in no time. The backs, just undo the rear shockers with the wheels on when jacked up, take old spring out and put new in.
  8. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member

Lowerng the car 50mm with standard shocks will mean that the shocks won't damp the springs efficiently because they are being asked to work outside of their operating window. So you will have short stiff springs with no damping making the ride bouncy. I have also heard that the adjustable droplinks don't work and that you will need to buy a new ARB that goes around the other side of the drive shafts.
  9. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

You'll get a better quality ride if you change the shocks as well and with a 50mm drop you'll also most likely need to change the front ARB as well.

For any prices or more info just give me a shout.

Damian @ DPM Performance