500 mile report - BW49 Daytona S3 SB

ilovegadgets

Reaction score
Thought i'd share my experiences so far with you about my BW49 Daytona Grey Sportback.

Actually was ready for collection before Christmas (in Aberdeen) but somehow managed to restrain myself and collect at the first available opportunity in the new year (the 3rd Jan!). I am coming from a 2012 Audi TT Black Edition which i will miss for a variety of reasons, but haven't looked back since getting the S3...so here goes...

Firstly - spec. Mine has comfort pack, SD nav, Audi Sound System, folding mirrors, s-tronic.

First impressions coming from the TT is just how well this car rides. I think perhaps the TT was probably a bit poor on those 19"s, but the S3 is just so refined in comparison on the daily commute. It also feels like such a quality product; the TT was good (still is even the MKII), but it just feels so well damped, solid on the road and i just love the interior. Steering wheel is great in the hand, nice and chunky, a bit better in the hand than the TT, but not as overly-chunky as the M-Sport wheel in my old (and still missed!) BMW 130i.

Regarding the seats i recall i had a similar feedback on the TT forum a few years back when i picked mine up, the seats look and feel great, are comfortable, but felt that the BMW seats are better shaped and generally hold you better. My weekend family car is a 320d M-Sport touring and it's the same with that - Audi interior is a class above, looks great but the BMW seats are just a little better in terms of support. I also feel that i can't quite get low enough, but these are minor observations i was fully aware of on the two extended test drives i had before purchasing, certainly not deal breakers. I also looked at a Golf R and didn't get past opening the door and looking inside! Also considered the M135i, great car if you want to have a play on the track, but as a day-to-day proposition the S3 is just a better car with much better residuals...i also wanted something different as had the 130i before and drive the 320 at the weekend.

Economy is a bit rubbish despite some pretty gentle driving on the commute (not out of choice!!), it's not too bad but not that bothered as i didn't buy this car on it's environmental credentials! The gearbox - always had manuals before but the S-tronic is just awesome! The way it works effortlessly in auto mode is great on the commute, but in manual/S mode it really is superb! The exhaust noises on gear change under throttle load and higher revs is so addictive...so glad i opted for this over the manual, well worth the extra outlay. I'm also thoroughly enjoying the traction as the TT being FWD was quite frankly awful in anything but bone dry conditions in terms of traction, so with the S3 the performance is just so accessible.

Other general comments - sound system is spot-on for the money, and the SD Nav is actually very, very good especially with the hi-res info graphics in the DIS.

Anyway all-in-all i am thoroughly pleased with the car, no issues, great service from Aberdeen Audi again, and absolutely feel it's the right car for me out of those in contention.

Reactions: WeeDram, RedTurtle, Pulp84 and 3 others
Nice post glad you're enjoying the new wheels !!! Any pics at all would love to see it as it sounds similar to mine being built this coming week.

Nice post glad you're enjoying the new wheels !!! Any pics at all would love to see it as it sounds similar to mine being built this coming week.
IMG 5168
IMG 5169

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant and Rob2k68
Fantastic write up! Any chance of more pictures? I've a Daytona Grey with Privacy coming within last I checked it was on the way to the boat. I need a Daytona fix!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Wow simply stunning :icon thumright:

Good to see D/G with the chrome grille and window surrounds.