1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 wheel alignment

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by johnone, Apr 20, 2010.

1. johnone

johnone 5th Gear

[Apr 20, 2010]
    Hi All,

Basically, long story short - took my A3 to have its tracking checked on Saturday @ National.

Tracking all sorted - however, the steering wheel is now slightly positioned to the left when the car is pointing in a straight line - very annoying! :noway:

I think this has happened because they did not lock the steering wheel when making adjustments to the track rods.

Anyway, they could not get the steering wheel back 100% straight, so I am thinking of taking it to the Wheel Alignment and Balljoint Centre to get 4 wheel alignment done.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Wheel Alignment and Balljoint Centre in Liverpool?

Cheers!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Apr 20, 2010]
    maybe the steering wheel as been off to correct it before?
  4. johnone

johnone 5th Gear

[Apr 20, 2010]
    Possibly, but I doubt it - it was fine before the alignment check and it’s got brand new Dunlop sport maxx TT's on the front.
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 20, 2010]
    Take it back mate and get um to get it right... they should have the steering wheel dead centre and align from that... having toe and dead zero can track road camber though but usually you will pull to the left and compensate by steering right..

<tuffty/>
  6. johnone

johnone 5th Gear

[Apr 20, 2010]
    Not sure I want to TBH, they had 3 goes at it and said the tracking was in perfectly and to let the suspension settle - there is no doubt that the tracking is spot on - but the bloody wheel is off to the left!

Put a right downer on my weekend!
  7. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 20, 2010]

I need to find someone near me that does a 4 wheel alignment as i have changed sooo many bits i am suprised the car drives as well as it does,lol

South Wales anyone?
  8. johnone

johnone 5th Gear

[Apr 20, 2010]
    Have you looked at:http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

Anyone used the Wheel Alignment and Balljoint Centre in Liverpool?
  9. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

[Apr 20, 2010]
    Happens quite often. My borther had his done along with some other work. Steering was off....They said best they could do. Took it to his mate who sorted it for free.
  10. johnone

johnone 5th Gear

[Apr 20, 2010]
    I can't understand how its so difficult to get the steering wheel pointing in the same direction as the wheels!

I may ask Audi to look at it...
  11. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving VCDS Map User

[Apr 20, 2010]
    I wouldn't bother. Woman I bought the car from had tracking done by Audi after four new Tyres. My wheel is off by miles!!
  12. johnone

johnone 5th Gear

[Apr 21, 2010]
    Hmmmm....

Well back to the original point, has anyone had experience of the Wheel Alignment and Balljoint Centre in Liverpool?
  13. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Apr 21, 2010]
    nope but any decent centre will be able to get it straight, after all...thats exactly what wheel alignment is!!
  14. JD09

[Apr 21, 2010]
  15. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

[Apr 21, 2010]
    I'm not too sure how it all works on the A3/S3's but I had my camber set up on my last VW Golf MK2 and the kit they used had lasers. They stuck the instruments on each wheel and the first thing they did was find the centre of the 'rack' by locking the wheels from left to right. Once the machine established the centre point (which surprisingly was also the centre point for the steering wheel) they then set about adjusting the camber and tracking (I remember it being set up for 1.5deg neg camber, 0' toe).

As my steering wheel was dead centre anyway, they didn't have to take the wheel off to centre it to the true centre point, I don't know if the company you have used do it in the same way, I would imagine they would be required to centre the steering wheel too wouldn't they? The company I used is one (of many) used by insurance companies for accident repairs (had a mate who worked there at the time so the work was all done for the princely sum of £20), I can't remember the name of the kit they used (age plays havoc with memory lol) but if I do have a brainfart and remember, I'll post it up for reference.

HTH,

EDIT: The kit was called 'Optiflex'....
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  16. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Apr 21, 2010]
    i used a local garage that had the laser alignment, this was on my A3....the wheel was off centre so they secured it to the pedals via a long metal arm whilst dead centre....then moved the wheel settings so they aligned, simples....

sounds like this chaps garage is too lazy - removing the steering wheel is definately not the answer unless its been replaced already and positioned wrongly - if its as is it from the factory then your wheels need aligning to the steering wheel, otherwise you may end up weakening parts of the threaded arms due to being wound out too much at one side
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  17. JD09

[Apr 21, 2010]
    Sounds like the Hunter piece of kit to me. This is something I would ask/look out for. Meant to be by far and away the best alignment tool around.
  18. johnone

johnone 5th Gear

[Apr 21, 2010]
  19. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Apr 21, 2010]
    the steering wheel being out is a lazyness thing and you should take it back. Unless you suspension is buggered and one of your rod ends are fully extended or inserted. We went into a ats before going to the ring and they did my mates car, and after seeing there methods I decided not to let them do mine, lol!

think I may just post this link too... www.alignmycar.co.uk
  20. johnone

johnone 5th Gear

[Apr 24, 2010]
    Hi all,

Quick update - got the 4 wheel alignment done today at Wheel Alignment and Ball Joint Centre Liverpool.

Explained the situation to the guy who said they can fix the issue and will show me what needs to be done before staring any work.

They set the car up on the ramp, setup the hunter 4 wheel alignment software and calibrated the steering centre point.

With the foot brake locked and the steering wheel now centred and locked in position, the guy adjusted the track rods so that toe was set to 0.00 deg.

I am very happy to report the alignment was a success!

£35.00 +VAT

Would recommend this garage to anyone looking for 4 wheel alignment in Liverpool!
    :cool: