3D TV

Gilly

Reaction score
Any one thinking of shelling out for a 3D telly ?

saw them at the gadget show and picture is, to be fair amazing, but i just cant see the point in getting one at the moment

the samsung one just gone on sale at john lewis is £1800 quid, and you get no 3d glasses, no 3d blu ray player, there are barely any 3d channels and the telly is expensive to begin with

and what happens when a couple of mates come over...are you supposed to lash out on several more pairs of glasses for them as well???

i reckon its one to put on the back burner for 12 months until some more content is available....

Not for me mate - I've had HD from day one, and have recently bought a new Viera TV - No way i'd shell out for another TV as i'm happy with the set-up i have.

I'd rather wait until they overcome the need for glasses etc.

Though i suppose, being that i'm a gadget nut, i'll be posting here in a few months about my new 3D set-up...!:tocktock:

Not for me mate - I've had HD from day one, and have recently bought a new Viera TV - No way i'd shell out for another TV as i'm happy with the set-up i have.

I'd rather wait until they overcome the need for glasses etc.

Though i suppose, being that i'm a gadget nut, i'll be posting here in a few months about my new 3D set-up...!:tocktock:

for that reason it could well fall flat on its **** 3d tv, many people have just spent a wad on a new hdtv and they are not exactly going to bin them off after a few years for a 3d model...fortunatly i bought my plasma five ish years ago when they were fresh on the market..so its ripe for changing now..even so i am loathed to upgrade as it still looks sweet and cost me a packet back in the day !!

Paid a just under a grand for my plasma a few years back, didn't want to pay £4+ back when they had just come out, but now you can get the same thing for £600ish. Can't see myself changing setups soon, unless it's about a grand to upgrade, which I think is reasonable.

There isnt really that many hd channels, unless you have the full package. My TV is rarely on a hd channel , mainly because we forget we have it, but it is nice to see it when we flick up and down. If it come to the point where there is loads of 3d channels and it isnt sore to watch then possibly.

dont really see the point in getting a 3d tv not yet anyway cos there aint much in 3d on da tv..

I'm kinda keen to move over to HDTV & blueray but now I dont know. I got caught out last time buying just before HD became affordable in an decent size! TBH, I think its still going to be a good few years before its affordable & with decent content.

There isnt really that many hd channels, unless you have the full package. My TV is rarely on a hd channel , mainly because we forget we have it, but it is nice to see it when we flick up and down. If it come to the point where there is loads of 3d channels and it isnt sore to watch then possibly.

Couldnt of said it better, all this HD ******, get hd & how many channels are HD, almost sweet fa initially & it isnt exactly heeving with them now huh, hype crap, also bluray imho is dying a death with the advent of online movie downloads & streaming, as our adsl gets quicker (cable much faster) we will see the movie business be all online, perfect example, look at Blockbuster, so in debt & its nemesis Netflix has taken over completely in the US with 54% of there dvd to rent via post subscribers now streaming movies.

I tested hd on sky for while then got rid of it, mainly cause the audacity of 1st charging us £300 for the box (which is now free) & charging us on top of our top subscription an extra tenner for almost feck all channels, anyone else see an issue with this???

I'm kinda keen to move over to HDTV & blueray but now I dont know. I got caught out last time buying just before HD became affordable in an decent size! TBH, I think its still going to be a good few years before its affordable & with decent content.

100% Ewan, you've said things I believe aswell, forget Bluray as costwise I'd rather watch SD as its a rip of IMHO & the HD content is TBH quite ***** still, they should have dual SD & HD channels for all the channels on sky, not handful of.

The best ever HD channel on sky was Discovery HD, outstanding images.

All IMHO of course.

The best HD channel is the one that appears when l turn on my PS3

Sorry but the HD haters need to know the facts first - I have and have had Sky HD since it came out - There is masses of HD content (Unless you have a two-bob V+ box)

Here are the HD channels on my box at the mo;

Channel 4 HD
BBC HD
Sky 1 HD
ITV1 HD
FX HD
Bio HD
Syfry HD
E4 HD
Sky 3D....
Sky Arts 1 HD
Sky Arts 2 HD
Luxe TV HD
Sky Real Live HD
Sky Premiere HD
Sky Showcase HD
Sky Comedy HD
Sky Action HD
Sky Family HD
Sky Thriller HD
Sky Drama Room HD
Sky SciFi/Hor HD
Sky Modern Greats HD
Sky Indie HD
MGM HD
MTV HD
Sky Sports HD1
Sky Sports HD2
Eurosport HD
Sky Sports HD3
ESPN HD
Rush HD
Sky News HD
Nat Geo HD
Nat GeoWild HD
History HD
Crime HD
Disney Cinema HD
SBO HD1
SBO HD2

40 Channels showing HD content... What more do you want?!

As for Bluray - Please... Bluray is outstanding! Do yourselves a favour; get a PS3 and whatch District 9 :hubbahubba:
DVD is like watching a VHS now - Simple.

I have a nice TV, HD, Bluray and a Bose System for the sound - I love it, it cost me a fair penny, but then you get what you pay for IMO.
HD, Bluray isn't for all, but you shouldn't make silly comments that it's crap and there isn't any content, etc, etc - As it's misleading.

Try watching SkySports HD and then switching over to normal SS and see the difference for yourself - Lost in HD is also amazing, throw in a bit of Dolby Digital and wow!

Last edited:
I would just wait a while, because those £1800 3d tvs will be half that this time next year! if not less, because some other new HD technology will come along.

And then they will come with 3D bluray players and maybe even free accessories like glasses, unless you have deep pockets i would avoid 3D until it is properly established.

I paid £1800.00 for my 52" 6 Series Samsung LCD and it has lost over £400.00 in less than a year, it is still holding at about £13-1400 though which isnt too bad i suppose.

Tech nowadays moves far to quick to keep up.

I also have a Very nice, sony 5.1 setup and bluray/xbox 360 and have to admit i do love bluray!

I would just wait a while, because those £1800 3d tvs will be half that this time next year! if not less, because some other new HD technology will come along.

And then they will come with 3D bluray players and maybe even free accessories like glasses, unless you have deep pockets i would avoid 3D until it is properly established.

I paid £1800.00 for my 52" 6 Series Samsung LCD and it has lost over £400.00 in less than a year, it is still holding at about £13-1400 though which isnt too bad i suppose.

Tech nowadays moves far to quick to keep up.

I also have a Very nice, sony 5.1 setup and bluray/xbox 360 and have to admit i do love bluray!

True Daz - The current TV's aren't true 3d as in the Cinema type - That's a year so i was told - Within 5 years you'll be able to buy 3D TV's without the need for glasses - Apparently they have the technology for it but have some issues to resolve before it's market ready...

Did you know Sony have developed a patch for the PS3, enabling 3D playback...!

My mate has just bought a 50+" LED Samsung - OMFG... It's amazing! The picture is out of this world!!

Last edited:
its all about LED tvs!! let the 3d tvs over come there problems, coz there bounds to be some.