330mm Rotors - New Bolts not fitting into Bell Housing Bore

mark_S3

Team Silver
Reaction score
Brought my current LCR Brembos 3 years ago back. They came with 2 piece Rotors (Unknown Brand) but at the time I didn't have the money to replace the worn out rotors so instead went with solid Pagid 323mm discs.

Anyhow.... My current discs and pads needs replacing so instead of swapping I've decided to splash the cash on new 330 rotors (gone with Reyland 330x28mm).
I measured up the bolts on the old rotors attached to the bell housing and purchased new AP Racing Bolts.

Bolts - CP3845-100 0.25" UNF x 0.875" - (22.22mm long / plain section 9.5mm / full thread 12.7mm)

However the plain section of the AP bolts won't insert into Bell Housing. The threaded section will.

Theres 0.3mm difference between the old bolt and AP bolt on the plain section.

Can anybody identify the old bolt? It's has a Hex insert on the head instead of the AP Torq

Or even identity the bell housing... No identification marks.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

tried them from both sides to check if its not just the edge of the hole folded in? could potentially do a light ream on the holes to the correct size... AP bolts would be more readily available...

Not seen bolts like that tbh as only ever used AP racing ones...

<tuffty/>

tried them from both sides to check if its not just the edge of the hole folded in? could potentially do a light ream on the holes to the correct size... AP bolts would be more readily available...

Not seen bolts like that tbh as only ever used AP racing ones...

<tuffty/>
Haven't tried them from both faces yet (Bell housing still attached to Old rotors)

Wanted to test fit the AP bolts to see if I brought the correct ones... Lol
That's when they wouldn't insert.

If the edges where to be folded in, there's still the difference of 0.3mm in width between the old and AP bolt on the plain section.

Tbh.... I have thought about getting it rebored to suit the AP bolts, but it's just the hassle of arranging that with a engineering company. Sometimes it's easier to order off the self items. Haha

6.3mm is 1/4 inch so correct as you have bought 0.25" bolts. As the existing bolts are 6mm and look like a high tensile metric cap bolt to me I would suspect that the original discs and hubs may be of Chinese origin. You could get the holes enlarged to 1/4 inch on the bell or Reyland will probably sell you the correct bell to fit the disc you have as they do 330mm brake kits for the Seat LCR .

Reactions: Prawn
6.3mm is 1/4 inch so correct as you have bought 0.25" bolts. As the existing bolts are 6mm and look like a high tensile metric cap bolt to me I would suspect that the original discs and hubs may be of Chinese origin. You could get the holes enlarged to 1/4 inch on the bell or Reyland will probably sell you the correct bell to fit the disc you have as they do 330mm brake kits for the Seat LCR .
Most likely just get the bored enlarged.

As new housing is just another expense especially after purchasing new Rotors, Bolts, Ferodo DS2500 Pads and Motul Fluid.... And yet to pay for Caliper refurbishment...

Its annoying when little things cause an issue.

Will strip old rotor off bell housing and mock up and try bolt on other face side of bell....

do the AP bolts fit the disk rotor ok?
if so, drill out your bells
Yes Bill.... The AP bolts go through the rotor bores, however the last 3-4mm on the plain section wont.
Surely the plain section on the bolts, won't taper in from bolt head to threaded section?

Your bells look like Godspeed to me, which use a 6mm bolt.

Reyland discs, and ap as you've found, use a 1/4" bolt.

Just get yourself a 1/4" hss drill Bit and open the holes out yourself with a hand drill. It doesn't need to be any more complex than that

Your bells look like Godspeed to me, which use a 6mm bolt.

Reyland discs, and ap as you've found, use a 1/4" bolt.

Just get yourself a 1/4" hss drill Bit and open the holes out yourself with a hand drill. It doesn't need to be any more complex than that
Cheers Prawn for your input...

Ive actually found bolts on Godspeed website which look identical to the ones that came off. I will email them to confirm dimensions.

I might just buy the set off if all good on the dims. However I do have a set of HSS drill bits...

Drill then out mate. Don't get the 6mm bolts.

The Reyland discs are for a 1/4" bolt, so a 6mm bolt would have some slack. And the ap bolts will be far better quality IMO.

Well bad luck struck.....

Finally managed to remove bell housings from old rotors to find the bells won't fit the new Reyland Rotors...... B@$t@rd

On back of the bells theres a circular alignment lip that won't fit inside the eye opening of the rotors.

I know the rotors are made to fit AP and other bells. But whatever bells I've got they won't.

Does anybody know who could possibly supply me new bell housings?

As I said in my post Reyland do kits for the SEAT LCR, so I strongly suspect they will be able to supply you with bells to fit that disc.

As I said in my post Reyland do kits for the SEAT LCR, so I strongly suspect they will be able to supply you with bells to fit that disc.
I've spoken to Reylands today, but there kits they supply for LCR apparently have different bell housings to suit the calipers in the kit.
I've stated there for LCR Brembos and there Rotors but informed they haven't nothing on the self.
They have said they could make some custom bells if I send down my old bells as a template to fit there supplied rotors.

However as I'm having fitment problems, and these old bells where supplied to me 2nd hand with LCR Brembos, I don't want to be sending bells with a unknown past for them to custom make bells. And then find out they still don't fit. If you know what I mean.

Last resort is to send back theses Reyland Rotors for a refund and buy a new complete 2 piece rotors.

Or, secret option C, find a local machine shop and have the lip turned off.

Would only be half an hours work, shouldn't cost much at all :racer:

Reactions: badger5
So basically, the 2 piece discs you currently have are Godspeed ones, and you've purchased Reyland rotors that doesn't fit. How much we're the rotors posted if you don't mind me asking? My 2-piece ones have Badger5 on the hats, so not sure if Bill will sell you those separately?

So basically, the 2 piece discs you currently have are Godspeed ones, and you've purchased Reyland rotors that doesn't fit. How much we're the rotors posted if you don't mind me asking? My 2-piece ones have Badger5 on the hats, so not sure if Bill will sell you those separately?

Bill sells bells separately to rotors

<tuffty/>

Reactions: jojo
As much as I would prefer to save money and get the old bells reprofiled to suit the Reylands Rotors, at the moment I just don't have the time to be sorting out a local CNC Machinist. Been working 6 days a week lately.

My car is currently off road and needs sorting before end of next month.

Hence its easier if I could buy something of the shelf that would fit.

Plus with the luck I'm having with these old bells, it wouldnt surprise me if they threw up another problem.

I'd be buying a pair or Bills Bells ( :laugh:) then. At least that way you know it's quality and it'll work.

I'd be buying a pair or Bills Bells ( ) then. At least that way you know it's quality and it'll work.
Will be tomorrow....

These old bells been sat in the garage for 3 years so it ain't no loss to me.

Just don't want anymore come back on the old ones plus I get shiney new part so cure my OCDness.... Lol