1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30v v6 2.8 Owners lend me your "ears" - Cold startup noise

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by imported_ZeroK66, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Hello all,

Well I have posted about this before... since my 80k service (Belts changed) the car makes a rattling/vibrating noise - heavy metallic kinda noise - like you would get if you were to spind a dry pully with play in it.

Its only for a split second then clears. For the rest of the day it is then fine.

I have now been to 3 dealers about it, the third one has said - this is normal and to be expected of the v6 engine from cold start and is the chain in the engine doing this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif... but wanted to hear your thoughts on cold morning start ups. Does your baby start up smooth and purr straight away?

2. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S4

Mine's a V6 30-valver, same as yours. It's also done 75K miles. It rattles for a second or two on start-up, then settles into a smooth idle. It's normal. It's just the surfaces rattling for a moment before the oil is pumping all the way round.