1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30mph what gear?

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by K-Dash, Sep 13, 2007.

1. K-Dash

K-Dash Member

[Sep 13, 2007]
    Wasn't sure where to post this really.

I've turned into a really boring person, i'm setting myself mpg targets in my A3 2.0 TDi Sport 140.

So in a 30 is it ok to cruise in 6th. or does it put strain on the car?

thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Macduff

Macduff Member

[Sep 13, 2007]
    Being in a higher gear doesn't always mean that mpg will be better. The engine probably won't be in an efficient zone. I believe that engines are generally at their most efficient when running at peak torque revs i.e. around 2k for your car which translates to 3rd gear at 30mph

You'll also find the car significantly more responsive if you need a sudden burst of acceleration for some reason.

I think there are greater MPG gains to be made by looking ahead and planning your driving instead of reacting to hazards when you reach them. It's also much more relaxing to drive this way
  4. Neil_S

Neil_S Member

[Sep 13, 2007]
    Don't nanny the engine either, not good for the turbo.
  5. K-Dash

K-Dash Member

[Sep 13, 2007]
    thanks guys.

So 2k revs is better for economical driving you say?
  6. Teejay

Teejay Mellow Yellow

[Oct 29, 2007]
    the most economical point is when the turbo has just spun up, so should be about 1600-1800 rpm. below this the engine is having to work harder so it adds more fuel than is necessary. above this engine speed it starts to add more fuel again. so as said 30mph = 3rd gear. the best bit is this is also the point when you have the best acceleration, so perfect for overtaking!!