300BHP (or as near as dam) WITHOUT a Turbo U-grade

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:

So in conclusion. Save your money and follow in the foot steps of Rich!

[/ QUOTE ]

You know it makes sense! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:More interestingly, he asked how long long the car had been chipped, I said 20K. turns out that the std K04, when driven hard, especially when chipped will have cracks in the exhaust side of the turbo! This is due to heat. This in its self shows just how inefficiant the turbo must be when pushed to run high boost levels (watch out Glen!).

[/ QUOTE ]

We all know that upping the boost to silly levels shortens the turbo life, whether this be oil seals, impellor blades, bearings or casing. Interestingly the turbo on my 200 (which has done at least 70k miles on high boost (18psi) shows no evidence of cracks, leaks or shaft play.

Anyhow, I would not be expecting my S3 turbo to last forever in its current state of tune, it would be nice, however, to be able to fit an upgraded unit and get better power when it does give up, rather than spend the money and have the same as before.

More interesting however, it that if we beleive the guy from TD re the k04 cracks, then the hybrid K04 sounds like a VERY bad idea, given the casing is the same and the exhaust temps will be higher.

Choices....

The guy at TD was amazingly honest (I find this a dying breed nowadays). Said that he can supply a hybrid but without a more efficiant manifold, there would be no point. They are working on one just now and have one for 2WD 1.8T already.

A new K04 hybrid is 900+vat not bad but usless without a decent manifold aparently???

Maybe it's just me, but I'm always more confidant about a solution to a problem if it has been sold in a negative light. The guy at TD (is it Nick?) sounds like he gives fairly sensible advice, and although he is doing himself out of the £££, you have to admire his style.

Shame there is not a sensible manifold option to combine with the new turbo though. I thought I'd miss the thrust of the S4 when I got the S3, but in truth it's not so bad. Guess we are sticking at 275bhp then...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Hows your "Ecotek Vale" Stevie? Does it increase economy by preventing flys hitting the windscreen and therefore improving drag figure? Or is it just another Glasgow Bling Thing?? :p

Isn't TD actually developing a new manifold for the TT & hence S3? So the marketing guy at TD has convinced the S3 community that the manifold is the missing piece in the equation to 300BHP and what a pleasant surprise TD are about to release such a manifold. What a stroke of luck!

Yes I know pitty. Hybrid & a remap...£900 + £800 = £1700 for 300bhp would be nice but unfortunately doesn't look like its possible, well not a lasting 300bhp anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Smart asre. No actually, the Ecotek valve connects to the closest satalite and using magnetic force, pulls you in the correct direction, in turn creating a lesser need for engine power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Gees, that 'discussion' seems like ages ago! Extra 60miles a tank BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Aghh.. The search for more power.. Why didn't I buy something proper fast in the first place?! ...

Cause that woudn't be any fun now would it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stevie

at £900+vat, that makes it VERY expensive... the IHI is around £750+vat for a MUCH better turbo with much more potential.

Im also looking into another mod to airflow which by the sounds of it, does a VERY good job (if not a littel expensive).

Dahlback Racing (They MUST be one of the best, if not THE best VAG tuning company in the world), produce a new inlet manifold. This manifold is designed not only to increase air flow, but it also evenly distributes air to each intake port, and also increases velocity.

On a 300 HP 1.8T that the manifold was tested on, it made 30 more HP than the stock manifold. They expect this manifold to make 10-15 HP on stock turbo 1.8Ts.

These manifolds will be available for both big and small port heads and left and right hand throttle body orientation.

Dont know about everyone else, but im going to give this a go at some point... it does seem to be the only part of the engine that people forget about... After all, everyone adds exhausts for aid airflow, but what use is getting air out when your not getting it in at the same rate!? It certainly cant hurt to try. Look at the pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Im sure you'll all agree that the workmanship looks second to none!

We are seeing at the moment about becoming Dahlbacks UK importer so with any luck we will soon be able to get our hands on some REALLY neat stuff! How does a 490bhp, 2.0T S3 sound, or a 420bhp A3 1.8T? Well these guys do it!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
at £900+vat, that makes it VERY expensive... the IHI is around £750+vat for a MUCH better turbo with much more potential.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you are saying Rich but as a PACKAGE (JABBA KIT 3500ish?) it would work out much cheaper. Anyway doesn't matter as it doesn't work anyway!

Still cant believe that guy at TD honesty. Tell you, if I ever need a turbo, they'd be my first port of call.

As for the Dahlback UK distributor... You go Rich! That would be mega! That inlet manifold def looks like a serious bit of induction equipment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Stevie

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt trust anyone to do this kind of work other than people who know the cars! Not worth skimping on..you pay twice if you dont do it right the first time!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Rich... this is a very true fact! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

G

Don't know what to make of all this - I have a K04 1.8T A4 which is currently being set up by MTM via Kim Collins (QST). If I can get 300BHP with a manifold change I am definately intertested (I have been quoted £9,000 for a 'next step' by someone selling ballbearing turbos). If a hybrid K04 and a manifold gives an interim step great - anyone actually had this fitted?

turbo dynamics have an exhaust manifold for the 2wd transverse (not sure about longitudinal) layout 1.8t engines that works well with their hybrid k04 - not much more power than the 300hp they say, but at least the turbo and exhaust arent overheating and they expect the turbo life to be much longer than a 300hp with standard manifold.

they told me they have no plans for a 4wd version but they also said if you are going to the trouble of using an uprated manifold and hybrid turbo, i should spend my money on an ihi kit/manifold instead with better results. - again very honest with his advice.