1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3" downpipe & sport cat?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by SteveSAS, Nov 25, 2013.

1. SteveSAS

SteveSAS Member

[Nov 25, 2013]
    Hi Guys, Am I able to get a 3" downpipe with single sport cat on my S3 without it showing up any faults?
    The car is completely standard at the mo & am thinking of afterwards getting just a stage one map. The reason I ask is while browsing around tuning companies I noticed AMD state that for a full Miltek turbo back system requires a stage two remap.

Thanks

Steve
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. dubber dude

dubber dude Member

[Nov 25, 2013]
    not sure how much you are looking at paying but in my experience go for the best possible cat you can as some cheap cats will throw up a code, speak with pipe werx best quality exhausts and fitted and very good price
  4. SteveSAS

SteveSAS Member

[Nov 27, 2013]
    I've looked at Pipewerx but they just toooooo far away from me down south.
    Do you know why AMD state that a Miltek sports cat requires a stage 2 map?
    If I get the exhaust done on a standard engine will it not run right?

Cheers
  5. russwuss

russwuss Active Member

[Nov 29, 2013]
    I take that the other way round mate.....

You need a Milltek for a Stage 2 map.. I've got the relentless downpipe and sports cat, running fine with stage 1 map - stage 1 was on the car before the exhaust was fitted - no issue here :)
  6. SteveSAS

SteveSAS Member

[Nov 30, 2013]
    Ok, I had a rough quote from longlife today & its £350 ish for catback £500ish for 200 cell (twin sports cat) all the way back & if I want a 3" downpipe it will cost over a grand as its an all day job replacing downpipe as you have to pop the driveshafts.
    Done this sound correct?

cheers
  7. Adam P

Adam P Active Member

[Nov 30, 2013]
    I have a long life cat back system on my s3 and its brilliant, can't fault it. However i rang up to see how much they would charge for a down pipe and decat to match up. They quoted me £100 for the decat and refused to quote for the down pipe as its a pain in the arse. The guy literally said, 'ahhh the s3 down pipe, we won't be doing that its a pain.' From what iv rear on here it is a mission but people have managed to fit them. Think i might have to buy the setup then find somewhere willing to fit it. So I'm not sup prised you've been quoted all day from what i have experienced and read.

What are you going to do?

Adam
  8. SteveSAS

SteveSAS Member

[Nov 30, 2013]
    Ok Adam, thanks for that. I'm still not sure yet, may ask around a few other places to see what they say & like you say may get an idea from local garage of cost of fitting if I were to source exhaust. I may be tempted in the end with just the 200 cell cat & rest of system from longlife although what comments I've heard on here is that the replacement twin sports cat aren't really worth it & is the bloody downpipe that is the main restriction. I didn't actually get told longlife wouldn't do it but defintly felt they were putting me off with the price & what a big job it is. So surely if a dedicated exhaust company doesn't fancy it then what chance anyone else will lol
  9. Adam P

Adam P Active Member

[Nov 30, 2013]
    Yeah i was really surprised, i have been advised by another forum member 'VRBOB' to go for a relentless down pipe and sports catt as you can get them both for £280 then i will use a local mechanic to fit it. Thats the route I'm planning anyway.
  10. SteveSAS

SteveSAS Member

[Nov 30, 2013]
    Ok is it right that you can only get from US though? Won't shipping be expensive?