1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3" Downpipe Gains on Custom Remapped S3 8l - Feedback welcomed

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Jimgrim77, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[Nov 24, 2011]
    Just wondered if anyone has measured the bhp/torque gains of an uprated 3" downpipe and 200 cell sport cat install on an S3 8l.

Mine has already had a custom SWICT remap, full set of forge silicone hoses including tip, fmic, forge 007 dv etc...but really now only lacks this modification before hybrid/custom turbo which i'm still uncertain about taking on.

Essentially, I guess it's a bangs for bucks question as i've been quoted £500 for the 3" pipe, 200 cell sport cat and approx 4 hours (ball-aching) labour according to Infinity Exhausts Bristol.

In light of the work already done, the car goes very well but i'm keen to allow it to be the best that it can be. I imagine that I would see some gains to torque/bhp but wonder is anyone has measured it and modified in the same order to quantify improvements. Perhaps even describe the way that it felt different in response.

Thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 24, 2011]
    A remapped S3 does between 245 and 260bhp on average regardless of mods.... items such as 3" DP's, FMICs etc don't have much of an affect on total power (although the Badger5 80mm TIP does) they do help you keep that power for longer...

The std S3 DP is a **** design as is the exhaust manifold... this promotes high EGTs which will in turn harm performance..

3" DP's generally relieve some of this burden and you will see advantages in being able to use more timing etc and a stage 2 map that generally lifts the mid range... they don't typically release more top end power though...

If you are seeking the best you can get from a K04 then 3" DP, FMIC, decat or sports cat and a B5 TIP with Jetex or panel filter in OEM air box will get you there... you could benefit from mapping tweaks too... I am not familiar with SWICT maps but Revo stage 2's are effective and adjustable

<tuffty/>
  4. chris-edin

chris-edin Member

[Nov 24, 2011]
    Would buying it and fitting yourself save a couple hundred quid? Or have a mate that would do it for beer tokens?

Might help your decision :)
  5. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[Nov 25, 2011]
    I'm having the downpipe installed next wednesday and as Mark, from South West In Car Tech (remapping), is only next door, he's going to adjust the custome map to take into account the new modifications. This, like you mention, should be the equivalent of the stage 2 revo and agrees that it would provide significant gain in the mid range.

Have to be honest and say that I am still sceptical about tinkering with the airbox as the standard box with a green filter I already have fitted seems to be more than sufficient. Again, i'm aware that there are two schools of thought on this with much debate about bringing hot air into the turbo from the open jetex style filters from the engine bay, even with the heat shields, but I'm open to suggestion. I do like the sound that the jetex makes but do wonder if it's a case of a nice sound creating a sense of more speed/power. Has anyone tested pre/post jetex only on a rolling road?

Chris- i'd love to save the cash on the fitting ...but while it's up having the exhaust done, i'm going to take the front bumper off to uprate the H7 spot light bulbs and then spray the lower grill surround matt black to match the upper grill surround.
  6. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

[Nov 25, 2011]
    After having my downpipe and decat the car felt like it was spooling more freely, This resulted in the car needing the map looking at as it was boosting way way too high. ( it max'd the 2.5 bar boost gauge i tested it with)
    As for all S3's on phase one making the same power ... not sure about that, Different maps and diffrent mod's surely make a diffrence?
  7. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Nov 25, 2011]
    It's all about maintaining power with these cars. You might make 260bhp once on a dyno but can it be repeated over and over as the car gets hotter and hotter???

As Tuffty said, mods that help aid the cooling and breathing of this car are what maintain that power.
  8. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[Nov 25, 2011]
    There will be a ball park but I'm inclined to agree. Different maps and mods will make a difference. Each and every mod that I have done has changed the performance significantly. When i added the the FMIC recently, I had to have the map changed to account for that specific element and hence why i'll do the same with the downpipe as you can never gauge prior what effects it will have.

It seems that performance tends to be greatly influenced by what remapping route you approach ie structured revo route (stage 1 intitially and then stage 2 once further mods are mad) or through custom route, where the car is optimised with its existing parts at each point. This supports the notion which you mention Paul and is something that I have experienced. Would i be cynical if i thought that staging remaps at advised/set modification points is more to do with profiteering by remapping firms?