3" Downpipe - Fitting Instructions?

Piester

Reaction score
Like probably a hundred other people on here, I've just bought the new XS Power 3" downpipe and cat. It all looks spot on, well done Welly for all the perseverance, you're a legend for getting that sorted!

So from what I've read on fitting one on an S3, there's the hard way (removing the head) or the harder way (not removing the head), neither of which sound too appetizing but I'm potentially willing to give it a go (never done any engine work before).

What I'm hoping for is a text book Audi-Sport fitting guide with step by step fool proof instructions for the below-average modder. Is it worth getting my hands dirty on this or am I going to screw up, not fit the cambelt properly and destroy my car? More than happy to cut the old downpipe out if that makes it easier, but I am doing this on my drive so only have drive on ramps.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Excellent news. So I should be able to just do this on a pair of ramps then you reckon?

So mark the subframe up, drop it slightly, undo turbo to dp bolts, slide off cat-back, rip the old one out, pop the new one in with new gasket/bolts and reverse?

... I normally remove the driveshaft as the proper VAG way is to take the DP out through the space in the wheel well... however... I also normally cut the thing in two... softest bit is the flexi where it joins either end of the DP and used an air chisel to chop at it...

They can be taken out in one piece apparently but so far I have never done it and time is money... if you don't plan to keep the original DP (not really much use tbh and not worth swapping back if selling the car) then hack it to remove...

The 3" DP goes in a piece of cake comparatively... slots in from underneath through the tunnel...

If dropping the subframe you will need to support the rack as it can come undone at the column joint and is an **** to refit... I also undo the dogbone to allow a bit of movement in the engine and have undone the 3 bolts holding the prop too so that can be moved to one side... obviously easier on a 2 post lift than axle stands but can be done... just give yourself the time to do it and don't rush... plenty of WD40 for the nuts help too

OEM twin cats suffer big time... the nuts face front getting all the road water/grime and they use studs from the CAT flanges... most I have done are so far gone the only thing to do is to cut them off with a disc cutter and the studs are beyond repair anyway... only one I managed to get off in one piece was Danes...

Good luck :)

<tuffty/>

Having done this twice in the last couple of weeks, all I can say is it is a bit of a nightmare to do. As Tuffty said above, remove sub frame, driveshaft, and dog bone mount and chop the original downpipe is probably the easiest way. Make sure you have lots of extension bars and knuckle joints.

Nice one lads, all good responses. Sounds like a pig of a job but reckon I'll try and give it a go. Will try and get some photos as well if I remember.

In terms of other bits I need to get, will I need new subframe bolts, turbo gasket/bolts, exhaust grease/sealent (for want of a better word)? Anything else I need to add to that? All from Audi or can I get that stuff elsewhere? There's a GSF round the corner from me which could be pretty useful.

Arron - have a read of Welly's XS Power Downpipes & Manifolds thread and pm him for the discount details. Mine was £410 for DP, sports cat and delivery, bargain!

Cheers again all!

Yeah make sure you have new gaskets for example turbo to downpipe etc and some sealant wouldnt go astray. You wont need new bolts anywhere.

Hmm what a chow on, i was thinking about doing this but i think i will pass. maybe something to do in the summer